Thread: Zeke who?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky06 View Post
    Zeke is great, but he has no leverage here, 1. Has 2 years left on his deal and 2. No one wants to talk about it, but he has conduct issues that are going to get him in trouble with Goodell and the league. The best thing this young man can do is play like hell this year, stay the hell out of trouble and then look for the big payday after this season. BTW the RB market is not like the QB or WR market. Just my 2 cents as a lifelong Cowboys fan.....

Spanky

They talk about his conduct issues locally quite a bit. It's a factor that is not helping his value.

Jerry has supported this knucklehead through his troubles and issues with the NFL office in a big way. Jerry has had his back. As a fan this is kinda like a slap in the face to Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc575 View Post
    Id take that bet if jerry wasnt a joker still....but I thought he got his head out of his ass. Then he signed greg hardy...Jerry is still Jerry.

If they do all get paid...that will mark the beginning of another bad next few years.

The window they are operating in to be contenders is right now and next year. He ain't trying to worry about 3-5 years down the road. Economics suggest they all will not play together long.

Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    No crawfishin, it was right there in my op.

Would only be one year if he sits out this year. Who knows then.

Creative math.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    They talk about his conduct issues locally quite a bit. It's a factor that is not helping his value.

Jerry has supported this knucklehead through his troubles and issues with the NFL office in a big way. Jerry has had his back. As a fan this is kinda like a slap in the face to Jerry.
    I agree with you 100 percent, the dude needs some work on his life skills, he had better not come back and get injured right away, that would chap my azz, and it seems to happen more often than not. (WTH is his agent telling him??)

Spanky

5. Banned
    When was the last time a running back carried a team without a QB? last one that comes to mind is Lynch with Wilson in his younger days. But we know wilson is still very good. Cant remember the last time a RB carried a team.
    Excellent point, those RB glory days are over. Dallas would be dumb to give him a deal that limits their ability to retain talent.

6. Banned

Fully agree...his agent wont admit it, but the kid really is a liability. I mean come on Zeke...what the F are you doing at EDC walking around with the general public, and pushing some skinny kid around like some bully AWipe?! None of us would be surprised if we heard "breaking news:Elliot detained/arrested on suspicion of....." later tonight on sportscenter because of his consistent track record. These arent one time stupid youthful indiscretions.

Not saying he needs to play for free...but a deal favorable to team building would be nice considering the history between them. Hell...Jerrah was getting ready to fish fight Fidel Goddell over the suspension! lol

The window they are operating in to be contenders is right now and next year. He ain't trying to worry about 3-5 years down the road. Economics suggest they all will not play together long.
    Thats whats messing me up about it. The reality tells me the boys cant pay zeke...the other reality tells me the boys HAVE to pay zeke, because our window is now. I know every year is "our year" but just like last year the league is pretty wide open...and there really is potential this year. I think last year was our best shot, this year being next best shot if everyones on the field....not sure on next season or the season after that just because of all the contracts up.

Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    Excellent point, those RB glory days are over. Dallas would be dumb to give him a deal that limits their ability to retain talent.
    and then going back to my other point....Marshawn had a really good line during those seasons where you could argue he was carrying the team. So tough to anchor your franchise to a RB with a max type deal. Its not a great idea with QBs either (cousins, flacco, luck, etc...) but way more justifiable...its a death sentence with RBs imo. Rams might do decent this year, but not as good as last year...and next season is when those chains add the ball to them and weigh down the team with gurleys big deal even more. Donald got big money too. They gotta win this year too, or that window is shut. They do have a good coach tho, so he might keep them afloat.

7. Banned
    Good RB's are a dime a dozen... Look no further than Pittttsberg... Bell out, Conner in, same production at less cost. You're better of dropping big contracts on the O line... They make it all possible... Dan

8. Member
    Yea he cant be paid. One thing I overlooked in all their young stud bunch...Jaylon Smith is in the final year of his deal! He isnt gonna get stupid money like khalil mack....but the upcoming contract extension he will sign will definitely set him for life. It will be a hefty haul...and a hit to the salary cap.

So many people need to be paid in the next 1-3 years...that a RB cant get big money. Everyone mentioning Todd Gurley's deal for what Zeke should get...shoot Todd Gurley's deal should be a perfect example why you dont go all in on RBs. His playing status is unsure and lots of "he'll never be the same" being thrown around about him. Kinda believable when you remember how the end of last season played out. Tough to be paying a guy top dollar when they do not produce top dollar results.

No one can be as good as zeke and he is irreplaceable...but if the Cowboys have any true aspirations of winning there is no way they should be relying so heavily on the running back position to do everything. Just look at Super Bowl winners the last 5-10, 15 and even 20 years back. there is not many winners that had the top RB in the league...most all the winners made it with serviceable backs...and that was when the RB position was more important and its not like that today. Lets be 100% honest, and this is a very accurate statement....EVERY TOP 3 Running Back the last 5-10 years (prolly even longer) has had a great offensive line in front of him. Zeke is no different...and speaking of linemen, Collins deal is up this year so add that to another deal that might need to be done that is contributing to Zeke not being able to get paid.

Not sure if its doable...but restructure this year to give him better money and then trade or sign and trade him this offseason. Cowboys gotta do it this year if theyre gonna do it anytime soon. This is where the ROI needs to be realized this year. Lets see...but zeke cant be paid. Even though he cant be replaced, we can find someone to hit 85% of his rushes. Prolly get a decent 3rd down back to catch some balls out of the backfield too to make up some of that loss.

Good drafting is a gift and a curse. sadly. wish the boys could just go full Yankees on it!

LATE EDIT:
    Maleik Collins is a starting defensive lineman and his deal is up this year too. Zeke cant get paid and still build a contender around him. Not possible.
    Lol okay.....
    "Every top 3 RB has had a great o-line".

These are all Pro Football reference RB rankings by year O-line rankings listed after.
    Barkley ran behind the 29th rated line-2018
    Mccoy ran behind the 27th in 2017
    Gordan ran behind the 26th

Only had to go back 2 years for that...imagine how silly your statement sounds going back 10 years .

RB market has been set. It's unfortunately higher than it should be but Zeke also deserves it. The QB market is also set and if you aren't going to pay Zeke what he "deserves" you shouldn't be paying Dak the 30 mil a year. He doesn't deserve it. When cooper showed up, his numbers were great. That's an argument for paying the play makers around Dak. Dak can't win without a running game, great o-line, and a solid WR. We've seen exactly what he looks like without the perfect situation around him.

9. Member
    So you are saying that the past Superbowl winners have done it with mediocre running backs with stud or at least very good QB's and great receivers. Dallas has the receivers and always has but without the threat of Elliott, Prescott is not a good enough QB to carry a team to the Superbowl and win. If he was they would already have a ring.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    Good RB's are a dime a dozen... Look no further than Pittttsberg... Bell out, Conner in, same production at less cost. You're better of dropping big contracts on the O line... They make it all possible... Dan
    Bell is the current cowboys front office MVP....but also an enemy.

On the one hand they have a similar playing style in that they ran and caught balls and were freaks that people felt were 1 in a million...but had his fill in do decent enough. On the other hand, even though I also agree that Zeke doesnt have a ton of leverage (beyond the fact that he is the best back in the league which is plenty of leverage) Bell's situation also made a year long hold out an actual possibility instead of posturing the way it was before. This may be more likely to happen and its at least more doable for elliot since he was a top pick and got top pick money already, where L. Bell got second round money. So Zeke's got a bigger nest egg if he doesnt wanna work a year...but thats another reason why he should play since he's not in as bad a situation as Bell. He's not getting 15 million this year, but he's also not getting the league minimum.

11. Member
    That is the one thing the boys have going for them. It seems they can put any decent back in there and have success. It is either the coaching or the personnel (offensive line) or likely both that lead to success. Look at the steelers as they can put anyone in there and run the ball. Bell and Elliot are overrated. Sure they are great backs but put them in Atlanta and they would struggle.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by iabass8 View Post
    Lol okay.....

These are all Pro Football reference RB rankings by year O-line rankings listed after.

Only had to go back 2 years for that...imagine how silly your statement sounds going back 10 years .
    Very good point and I stand corrected. Easier to get yards when on a trash team with no other options imo, but my statement was inaccurate looking at the stats. Thanks for proving out my point about a RB carrying a team tho. How did Barkley and the Giants do last season? How did McCoy and the bills do that season? Melvin Gordon has Phillip Rivers...but yea I would agree and dont think he has the best line. But still, Barkley and McCoy's seasons are perfect examples of what happens when a RB is put in a position to carry a team...and thats nothing good. Nothing good happens when a RB is central/the main focus on offense.

I imagine my statement wont sound silly at all in 10 years. Hell...theres no more fullbacks in the league. At this pace the RB position will be way different in 10 years than it is today. I think the rounded RB will be more valuable. RBs that can catch out of the backfield and maybe even split out in the slot.

Good o-Line=Good running back. Thats my point in a nutshell. Ill waste the time finding stats to back up all my years of observation next time so you cant try and discredit the whole argument with a stat.

13. Banned
    Lol okay.....

RB market has been set. It's unfortunately higher than it should be but Zeke also deserves it. The QB market is also set and if you aren't going to pay Zeke what he "deserves" you shouldn't be paying Dak the 30 mil a year. He doesn't deserve it. When cooper showed up, his numbers were great. That's an argument for paying the play makers around Dak. Dak can't win without a running game, great o-line, and a solid WR. We've seen exactly what he looks like without the perfect situation around him.

I once read that 64% of stats are made up 82% of the time. LOL

Stats can be manipulated to say anything. Your post says McCoy ran behind the #27 line in 2017...this site says it is #7. So I guess im not that far off in regards to McCoy in 2017. Right?
    https://www.pff.com/news/pro-ranking...017-nfl-season

14. Banned
    So you are saying that the past Superbowl winners have done it with mediocre running backs with stud or at least very good QB's and great receivers. Dallas has the receivers and always has but without the threat of Elliott, Prescott is not a good enough QB to carry a team to the Superbowl and win. If he was they would already have a ring.
    yea no one, and not me ever said the word mediocre...or at least im pretty sure I didnt. Dont even think I been saying anything about stud Qbs and great receivers either, but instead been saying that a RB can not carry a team.

When you say Dallas has always had recievers, do you mean since october 22, 2018? Who are the receiving greats that have blessed the cowboys...and do not mention Dez. He instantly retired after he got his big money deal.

https://www.ranker.com/list/best-dal...ers/ranker-nfl
    Aside from TO and Keyshawn I dont see any HOFers in there (modern day receivers since thats what we are discussing, im not talking about our legends)

15. Member
    I once read that 64% of stats are made up 82% of the time. LOL

Stats can be manipulated to say anything. Your post says McCoy ran behind the #27 line in 2017...this site says it is #7. So I guess im not that far off in regards to McCoy in 2017. Right?
    https://www.pff.com/news/pro-ranking...017-nfl-season
    It only looks like that if you take your skip bayless detective hat off and think about what you posted vs what we're talking about. Your link is the ranking AS A WHOLE that grades out all linemen in every facet they work as. The bills were 27th IN RUN BLOCKING. The basic ranking of a "oh look they were the 7th best line in 2017 so they must have been good" is why people make stupid statements about certain players. That doesn't show how awful the bills were in run blocking and opening gaps for a RB. They were one of the worst lines to run behind. Mccoy was hit behind the line 26% of the time-5th worst-. They were also ranked 31st as a unit in pass protection. So yes, stats can be misleading if you post those type of links that don't break down what an o-line is actually doing.

16. Banned
    It only looks like that if you take your skip bayless detective hat off and think about what you posted vs what we're talking about. Your link is the ranking AS A WHOLE that grades out all linemen in every facet they work as. The bills were 27th IN RUN BLOCKING. The basic ranking of a "oh look they were the 7th best line in 2017 so they must have been good" is why people make stupid statements about certain players. That doesn't show how awful the bills were in run blocking and opening gaps for a RB.

OK. You are right in your point that a good running back does not need a good O-Line. thats your point right?

I never realized the Cowboys have always had good WRs. Usually they got 1 guy that is good to really good and whole bunch of guys not so good.

18. Banned

OK. You are right in your point that a good running back does not need a good O-Line. thats your point right?
    Just want to post this from the link I posted.

" Furthermore, this unit was once again among the best in the NFL when it came to helping ball carriers as Bills’ running backs averaged 1.92 yards before contact in 2017, the fourth-most in the league."

But again you are right.

19. Banned
    I never realized the Cowboys have always had good WRs. Usually they got 1 guy that is good to really good and whole bunch of guys not so good.
    you got a problem with the GOAT Terrance Williams or something?!

LOL jk, but yea we did have Dez and TO before that...but thats about as good as I remember. TO is a clown and not with the team during a good time, and Dez is Dez. Good but I never felt him great. No HOF for him. TO eventually but beside that WR has been struggling for the boys imo.

20. Member
    If you don't have a stud quarterback you better have a stud running back.
    Could not agree more, Dak would be average QB if he did not have Zeke behind him.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast