2019 250 proxs overcharging

SN 2b597444 My start yesterday stopped quickly when my motor shut down from wide open with a high voltage alarm. I checked my gauge and it said 19.6v so bing 5 miles down the river already I unhooked the fusable link and was able to use it all day very carefully for my tournament. Has anyone else had a alternator failure on the new engine?
    Ryan Bauman 2022 Ranger 520R 250 Mercury ProXS Fourstroke

I am am waiting for an alternator for my 200v8 proxs. Mine started undercharging last week. Showing 11.3volts on the smartcraft during a long run down the lake. I’ve used it a few times since then while waiting for parts and it will sometimes show 14 volts at slower rpms but then drop off to 11-12 at speed.

Quote Originally Posted by fishing122 View Post
    SN 2b597444 My start yesterday stopped quickly when my motor shut down from wide open with a high voltage alarm. I checked my gauge and it said 19.6v so bing 5 miles down the river already I unhooked the fusable link and was able to use it all day very carefully for my tournament. Has anyone else had a alternator failure on the new engine?

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Alternator failure is a possibility, as is a poor connection between the engine and the cranking battery (keep in mind this includes not only the battery terminals, but also any switches, grounds, engine connections, alternator and fusible link connections, etc).

High voltage occurs either due to a regulator that has failed, OR due to a loss of Battery Reference (causing the regulator to "full-field" the alternator in an effort to bring up the voltage of a battery that's not present in the circuit).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Alternator failed today. 4602-23 fault code. Made it back with the kicker motor.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northwoodswalleye View Post
    Alternator failed today. 4602-23 fault code. Made it back with the kicker motor.
    Alternator failure is a possibility there- the fault is actually Fault Blocker- Low System Voltage (at the PCM). This is a different scenario than the Original Poster's engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I did see 16 volts on the smart craft today

Quote Originally Posted by Northwoodswalleye View Post
    I did see 16 volts on the smart craft today
    I finally got time to retrieve my boat tonight and found a blown pcm fuse. Alternator gets replaced tomorrow and should be back to normal.
    Update
    New alternator did fix all the issues
    Last edited by Northwoodswalleye; 08-30-2019 at 05:35 AM.

I replaced the alternator and checked all connections motor is now
    charging properly no issues
    Ryan Bauman 2022 Ranger 520R 250 Mercury ProXS Fourstroke

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Thanks for the updates, guys.

In the future- please keep separate engines in separate threads (to prevent confusion, per the Forum Announcements). Thanks!