Fishing Charlevoix Area?

I'm headed up north next week and will be staying in Boyne City with my wife, daughter, son-in-law, and granddaughter. I'm just wondering how the summer bite has been going on the lakes in this area. Jim and I usually do a spring trip in May and we travel distances in all directions. This trip I will just have early morning to fish till around 11:30 am and then it will be family time. I'm hoping to get on a early bite on some lakes near Boyne. Anyone have any updates on fishing in the area. Have the smallmouth been deep or shallow in the morning? Certainly Appreciate any info you can relay.
    Jim and I hit different lakes in the area in the spring did pretty well on some and not as well on others. Little video below shows our spring recap from this past May. I didn't take any video equipment with us on that trip. I did throw in some extra footage I had left over from 2018. I'm always excited to head back up there!

Good luck to you all. I’ll be interested to hear how you do. To me, that area of Michigan is like heaven on earth. Be safe.

3. Member
    Fishing has been decent up here for me. Had some really good days and some on the slower side. It's been much more consistent deeper for me. Consistent weather for the next week so you should do well.

Was on Lake Charlevoix a week ago. Catching them on the main lake about 30' to 35' deep on dropoffs. Follow the wind for productive areas.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

Well guys I'll give you a quick update. The weather stinks! lol Winds 35 mph through Friday. I did fish the southern end of the north arm Monday morning and caught some. It wasn't where I wanted to fish, but it was tough holding further down the lake. The weather has only gotten worse since then. If I can keep some south wind in the mix of this 35 mph I will probably try the south part of south arm. The smaller lakes are even getting rocked by the winds. Little bit of a bummer. I have my son-in-law coming tomorrow to fish through the weekend and not sure where to take him. He's not a avid angler and it's going to be difficult to put him on anything. I'll probably squeeze a short video out of Charlevoix, but I'll leave the camera stuff at home while I try to get him on something. I appreciate the replies. I'll give a update when I get back in town next weekend.

6. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    Getting that time of year when the winds start to blow. That sucks about your weather, I have been there too, I am sure everyone else has been too.
    Ranger 619 * Honda 200* Minn Kota* Humminbird *Garmin
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

7. Member
    That's too bad man, but you never know about the weather up here. I haven't been out since last week, so I'm not much help.

8. Member
    Give Walloon lk a try, little easier in the wind.

9. Member
    The wind up here can be terrible to deal with. It will blow 10-20+ for days. Usually it doesn't start till later in Sept but with they way things have been going this year everything is screwed up. Crooked and Pickerel can have some decent fishing on the right day and they aren't too far of a drive from Boyne. Those might be a couple of smaller lake options. Good luck. Hope you can get on some decent fish and hope the wind lays down for you while you are up this way.

Quote Originally Posted by BJSmasonry View Post
    Give Walloon lk a try, little easier in the wind.
    Wind did lay down Saturday. I ended up putting a little time on Walloon in the wind Wednesday morning and it dumped rain on me. Managed to catch some. Decided to take my son-in-law there Friday and we caught 25 to 30 by 10:30 am. It was a good morning. Didn't take the camera equipment when I was him, but snapped some photos. I'll try to piece together videos from Charlevoix and Walloon when time allows. Charlevoix had some action too. Deer Lake was the only other lake I fished and it was pretty tough with a few largemouth and handful of pike in the morning.

11. Member