Well i am a state record holder

Well I am a state record holder now of a fish not native to north america. History lesson, Zander (walleyes cousin) eggs were brought over from europe 3 years but two years the eggs were destroyed for some reason, in 1989 there was a successful hatch and they were stocked into Spiritwood Lake ND, since then it was beleived that the zanders did not make it but back in the early to mid 2000's some juvinile fish were being caught. In 2014 I had a walleye/zander nearing 40" and guessing 20 pounds follow a jerkbait up to the boat and I froze, even though I chase muskies and seeing them 50+" boatside don't make me loose my nerve but this fish did. this last winter a lake adjasent to spiritwood that has had some outflow got hot for walleyes between 16-27" and turns out that about 1 in 20 walleye type fish were indeed Zander. I tried to catch some of them but failed only to watch 15 get caught by other anglers. slightly discouraged continued on chasing my small mouth bass back at the main lake until the mid summer lul had me in full boredom mode. Friday I told my coworkers that I am bored with Spiritwood and I "hate that lake", I fish it 30-40 times a year as it is the closest lake by a lot being in ND there are only 25 bass lakes at all. Friday after work I went out for 3 hours and happen to catch my first zander about 3 pounds. Well Saturday I set out to catch a zander and after a morning of persistence it paid off with a 15 pound 15 ounce zander, beating the old record from 2013 that was 11 pounds 3 ounces. Fishing alone I am happy to say that all 35 5/8" fit in my ego s2 slider and that somehow my rod was still on the deck as I went two hands on the net. I weighed the fish at 15.5 on the boat and decided that since the anatomy isn't quite like the walleye I would have to get an actual skin mount and keep the fish (I am the type that all fish can be a replica so I was unprepared for this encounter and do feel bad that I chose to harvest this beautiful fish). I started filling my Z8 livewell 20 gallons in a square resulted in this fishes head and shoulders being the only thing inside the well. I recruited the help of the Spiritwood resort to get this thing transferred into town in a large tote filled with ice (I am thankful for there help). Was able to run to a local grocery store with a certified scale and a game and fish witness to make it official.

the fish is out of my hands at the taxidermist's and we are planning on it being inside a glass coffee table.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Impressive, looks a lot like a walleye. Do they get bigger than waldos?

Still one of the coolest things I’ve seen in years.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbitef11 View Post
    Impressive, looks a lot like a walleye. Do they get bigger than waldos?
    Yeah they seem to in Europe no clue here, but the are going to age it for me pretty excited to find out.

6. Member
    Awesome fish! Congrats

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Yeah they seem to in Europe no clue here, but the are going to age it for me pretty excited to find out.
    it was approximately 14 years old and they live to be 20 years old. there is probably larger swimming and i will try to find it hahaha

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 91reddog View Post
    Awesome fish! Congrats
    +1