Charger Recommendations & Question

I知 looking for charger recommendations for my 24 volt Trolling motor batteries. Currently I知 using AMG batteries. Honestly I prefer not to mount charger in boat but I would like to hard wire a plug so I知 not having to continually access batteries. Here痴 where my question comes in. The batteries are wired series for 24, how can I wire a hard plug so I知 not having to always disconnect the batteries from each other for charging? Is it best to wire in a disconnect or what is the preferred method? It痴 a not that easy to get to my batteries to disconnect them, I end up having to climb in and out of boat.

2. Member
    Send a PM to Mike (user name mikesxpress). He is an engineer and has done this, and has posted his set up in the past. I'm sure he will be able to help you out, and direct you to as to where to get the parts for the harness as well.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

3. Member
    You can use the Trollbridge 12X24. http://www.yandina.com/troll12X24info.htm It only needs a single output charger on the starting battery to charge it and both trolling batteries. We use a smart automobile charger from Walmart - about $60 - just clip the leads to the starting battery or install a 2 pin charging socket.
    You get the advantage that your 12 volt alternator will also charge the trolling batteries which can make you independent of shore power charging.

4. Member
    Most multi bank chargers can be hooked up to each battery with removing the connections between batteries. If you have a 2 bank charger just hook one bank to each battery and you're good to go. you can use and SAE connector to disconnect the leads. Just be careful some chargers have temp sensors on the leads.

5. Member
    Scott, back years ago this is how we charged the batteries and the Marinco 4prong plug was introduced. There were 4 wires coming to the front plug and no jumper at the batteries. Inside the male (trolling motor plug) was the jumper to make the 24V. Also there was a "red" charge plug that would be connected to the charger. It was configured with two jumpers inside it. When you unplugged the trolling motor, the series connection was disconnected and when you plugged the charge plug in, then a parallel connection was made, allowing the charger to charge both batteries in parallel. You didn't need a multiple bank charger, just a single bank. obviously it took longer to charge, so on board chargers were introduced. I saw my first factory mounted onboard mounted to a Basscat back in the early 90's. What you're wanting to do, can be done, but the boat will need rewiring on the trolling motor side (unless you already have 4 6ga wires going to the front plug). BTW, there is another way that it was done years ago by going through a charge/run toggle located on the bow. Due to the high amp draw of todays trolling motors, these toggles can no longer be used.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]