Thread: Hatch Peppers

Hatch Peppers

Anyone else like them. The wife and I roasted, pulled the skin, deseeded, chopped, packaged and and froze a 25 lbs box yesterday evening.

2. Member
    I dont even know what hatch peppers are lol. They look a bit like a cross between a banana, jalapeno, and chili pepper.

My biggest question though is why freeze an entire 25lbs at once?

I’ve done that a couple times. Maybe this year because I’m running out? I need to look again.

They’re only around for a couple weeks. After you roast and clean them, it really doesn’t look like much.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    I dont even know what hatch peppers are lol. They look a bit like a cross between a banana, jalapeno, and chili pepper.

My biggest question though is why freeze an entire 25lbs at once?
    You can only get them for about two months out of the year. We put them up and use them all year. These were mediums, you can get them in mild, medium, hot and extra hot.

Sure glad I saw this! Got a 25# box this AM. Going to throw a bunch in the smoker and see what happens. Mine are mild.

A8958158-D71A-4744-B089-B5E4CD7B984B.jpeg

I just reload when we go to NM to see family. Love green chilies as well as red chile. Goes great with so much food.

7. Member
    where you all getting these 25# boxes ?

Grocery store has them on sale so I asked if they would grab a box from the back. I have a few dozen in the smoker at 225 for about 2 hours now. Maybe another hour to go. Pulled one for a taste test and we have a winner!

9. Member
    Best green chili out there. We get them for year round use.

Three hours was a little too long. 2 1/2 would have been better. Some of the smaller ones dried out too much. I have them in the dehydrator now. Dry them completely and make powder. The larger ones peeled just fine and the smoke went through just right.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    Three hours was a little too long. 2 1/2 would have been better. Some of the smaller ones dried out too much. I have them in the dehydrator now. Dry them completely and make powder. The larger ones peeled just fine and the smoke went through just right.
    Ive done the powder thing with HOT peppers... (Ghost / Reaper / Habanero ) Talk about a hot pepper flake lol. Great on pizza though.

My son gave me a bunch of ghost peppers and I was smart enough to dry them outside. I wasn’t smart enough to avoid the powder that came out of the grinder. Note to self....Don’t inhale that stuff.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    where you all getting these 25# boxes ?

I picked mine up at Brookshires.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    My son gave me a bunch of ghost peppers and I was smart enough to dry them outside. I wasn’t smart enough to avoid the powder that came out of the grinder. Note to self....Don’t inhale that stuff.
    Ohhhh god I cant even imagine that. I didnt grind mine up in a grinder I just crushed them up in a bowl so it was more like red pepper flake. In fact they looked almost identical in the jar except one will light you up lol.

After roasting, peeling, & de-seeding, they have an great green chili flavor. I've also noticed they have an almost buttery/oiliness to them that makes them my favorite pepper to eat!
    Scott Inman

Hatch green chilies are amazing...no other comes close.