2004 opti 225 #0T921535 -- RPM surge at start up linked to failed sensor??

Engine info: 2004 opti 225 ser#0T921535

I have been dealing with a rough idle for a few weeks now and planned on taking my crack at checking reeds (Not a mechanic). Thursday while fishing a jackpot I noticed a slick behind the boat and strong fuel odor.

The following night I started to dig around, pumped the ball and noticed a slow drip coming from the center of the head of sensor #889330 mounted in the vapor separator housing. I plan to replace this sensor this week, but filled the head where the leads tie in with high temp gasket sealer to stop the drip through the weekend.

Went out this morning, and on probably the 3rd start up, the motor rev'd to about 4k rpms, I freaked and shut it down, restarted and it was at about 3k and tapered to an idle. It continued to do this the following attempts to start up.

Any chance the faulty sensor and revving are related? Or am I looking at a bigger problem? Fuel Regulator Diaphragm? I have been suffering on performance for some time, about ready to yank this thing off an repower. Any help would be appreciated!!
    2004 Champion198 Elite/ 2004 opti 225

2. Member
    Since your not a mechanic, I would have the float in the VST inspected by a competent technician.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Since your not a mechanic, I would have the float in the VST inspected by a competent technician.
    okay thank you, any other ideas out there?

4. Member
    Obviously repair ALL the fuel leaks before running the motor again.

5. Member
    Update: replaced fuel line from primer to VST, disassembled VST housing and cleaned, replaced VST filter, replaced sensor. No leaks, fixed RPM surge, smoother idle.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good job. BTW... I'm sure you figured out that the sensor part number you provided has superseded to a newer number.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor