2009 Z7 200 Merc Optimax struggling to get on pad

Hey guys, just want to hear some opinions and suggestions. Like I said above, I have a 2009 nitro z7 with a 200 Merc optimax. I’ve decked this boat out pretty good, 36v ultrex, and lots of tackle. Originally with no jack plate and a 25 p tempest plus, the boat was slow to pad 5 seconds or so, but always got up. With my latest addition, dual 8 foot blades and a 6” z lock jack plate, it takes 10-20 seconds to pad, sometimes not even making it. I thought perhaps if I dropped a pitch to a 24 tempest plus, it might improve the issue, but unfortunately there was little to no change. By myself I get on pad decent, 6 or 7 seconds, but with a second person in the boat, it’s the 10-20 seconds. If I have the second person sit on the front deck, it improves the plane time to around 6 or 7 seconds similar If I were by myself. I have the outboard height set at 3.5 inches currently. It’s a 70 mph boat and if I go higher than 3.5 I begin to run into stability issues.

My thoughts, I don’t have enough weight in the bow. Do you think adding 50-100 pounds in the nose would help plane and performance? Or maybe I’ve just overdone it and need to reduce the stern weight dramatically?

thoughts and suggestions?

2. Pat Goff
    Adding weight is certainly not the answer.
    With your full load what’s your WFO results now?
    RPMS? Speed?
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

3. Member
    Fully loaded with the 25 p tempest, It’s doing 64.5 at 5350 rpm. I have yet to fully open it up with the 24p tempest.

Im not familiar with wfo?

4. Member
    What are your RPM’s when coming out of the hole? You may need to open some plugs up to allow the prop to spool up at 3800-4000 on break over... the 25 will probably have a trouble regardless with that load, but the 24 should pop right up when it’s dialed in, but the 24 may need to be worked to get its full potential as they are often off straight outta the box.
    2011 Legend Alpha 211 DC
    250 Pro XS
    Solix 10 G2 MSI & Onix 10 NT
    Elite 9 Ti2 connected to
    Motorguide Xi5 105

5. Pat Goff
    Wide
    Full
    Open
    Full throttle/Full trim.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

6. Member
    Rcraigrrt, that was my thought in changing to the 24 p. There are pieces of plastic on the ports labeled “performance vent system. Are these the plugs you’re referring to? And I’m not sure what my rpms are taking off, but I bet they’re not 3800+ just judging by the sound of the outboard. It definitely has a bogged down sound if that makes any sense.

pmgoffjr, I don’t have wfo on the 24p yet. Small lakes here in wtx where I live. I haven’t been able to open it up yet.

7. Pat Goff
    Plugs add or take away exhaust gas to help the prop spoil up quicker
    Real simple.
    Take one out at a time until the prop blows out and then replace the last one.
    No two are identical so you gotta find what works best for you.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

8. Member
    Yes, but I didn’t think the plastic on the ports of the tempest plus were intended to be removed. They’re not plugs since they do allow water to flow through, but they may restrict flow to some degree? I would have to cut them out.

Quote Originally Posted by pmgoffjr View Post
    Plugs add or take away exhaust gas to help the prop spoil up quicker
    Real simple.
    Take one out at a time until the prop blows out and then replace the last one.
    No two are identical so you gotta find what works best for you.
    No hijack intended here but, I've been told to leave all three plugs in and drill them out a little at a time until the hole shot is satisfactory. Is this an acceptable method?
    Ray K.
    Mount Dora, FL

2012 Nitro Z7
    150 Merc Pro Xs
    Atlas Hydraulic JP
    Power Pole 10 ft Blades
    Minn Kota Ulterra 80 lb.
    Dual Consoles
    Lowrance HDS 8 & 5

[IMG][/IMG]

10. Member
    Yes, but I didn’t think the plastic on the ports of the tempest plus were intended to be removed. They’re not plugs since they do allow water to flow through, but they may restrict flow to some degree? I would have to cut them out.
    Last edited by sdkylaker; 08-18-2019 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Glitch in my phone, please disregard this multiple post.

11. Banned

Watch that you will understand what they do

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkammer View Post
    No hijack intended here but, I've been told to leave all three plugs in and drill them out a little at a time until the hole shot is satisfactory. Is this an acceptable method?
    Drilling is how I set mine a cordless drill and a set of drill bits.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    Drilling is how I set mine a cordless drill and a set of drill bits.
    You can do that but Merc makes three different sizes of plugs,four counting the solid one.

14. Member
    Sometimes it’s easier to pull the prop off of the motor to save the plugs. It may be easier to pull all of the plugs at once and start from there, then if it blows out start adding plugs until it doesn’t. It may take some time to do but it’ll be worth it. The plugs are meant to let exhaust pressure out of them, not water. Once on plane the plugs have no effect on the motor.
    2011 Legend Alpha 211 DC
    250 Pro XS
    Solix 10 G2 MSI & Onix 10 NT
    Elite 9 Ti2 connected to
    Motorguide Xi5 105

15. Member
    Mercury makes four sizes and a drill will make them the right size so take your pick and if you choose the Mercury way you'll have to buy more plugs.

16. Member
    My current prop has the large PVS plugs. I guess all I can do now is pull them and see if completely free flow helps.

17. Member
    Is that the 24 or 25 tempest? Only pull one and try it then pull another one if needed but don't pull all of them at once just do little steps. Your trying to get your rpm's between 3500 and 4000 at take off.

One large plug only works for most bass boats, that is where I would start with the 24 tempest
    Thank You Leon Pugh