Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Trim Gauges on the new 2019 Ranger Boats

I have a Z 518 L. Trim gauge only works a little. Ranger say's it's a Mercury issue. Mercury say's it's a Ranger issue. Just wondering if anybody else is having this problem. Called Ranger, they said NO.

2. mikesxpress
    If it's a 2019 it's a warranty issue.

3. Member
    Yes sir it is, just getting the run around for months. After spending over $ 60,000 you like everything to work, lol. I've heard that a few Pro's are having the same problem.

4. mikesxpress
    What engine? Do you have an analog or Smartcraft trim gage? Do you have a level 1 Merc Monitor?
    What does working a little equate to?

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Good questions, Mike. If he has access to digital trim data via Merc Monitor, etc., that would be the way to go instead of the built-in analog gauge. And if the digital readout is showing normal read outs, then we know that the analog gauge needs replacing. If the digital gauge doesn't read properly either, the issue is in the engine. We've seen "working a little" to mean, frequently, that the trim needs to be calibrated, particularly on Mercury engines. Like you, I don't know what the OP means by working a little in this case.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

6. Member
    Right now the boats at D&R Sports in Kalamazoo Michigan, Ranger Dealer, Kevin Van Dam's brother's place. According to them it's a Mercury problem. Waiting for the parts to come in. I have a 2019 Mercury Pro XS, 200 HP. My 1st trip in the boat the gauge worked great, full trim was like at 3/4 full on a gas gauge. Now when you take off to get on plane and your trimming it up it doesn't move for a long time. It won't even hit 1/2 way mark on the gauge. The smart gauge from Mercury works. I think the service manager said that Mercury is sending out a new sender, does that sound right. Can you calibrate the trim on these new motors. Any info will help, I'll pass it on to them.

7. Member
    Your symptoms do sound like the sender is defective. There is a procedure in the merc monitor manual on calibrating the gauge, the manual should of been in the boat when you purchased it. I am not positive but the Rangers with Merc 4s and a Merc monitor have digital gauges for trim and water pressure.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

8. Member
    I'll be calling them today for updates. Thanks everybody.

Trim guages and speedometers..two worthless items in bass boats...they all break eventually. Learn to drive without them.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Trim guages and speedometers..two worthless items in bass boats...they all break eventually. Learn to drive without them.

It sucks to have stuff broken on a new boat but the trim gauge is pretty much useless. All the way down till you hear the motor bottom out (change tone) to take off, then trim up by feel and boat attitude.
    2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

11. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Yeah, easy for us to say I suppose, but after 40 years of bass boat ownership, the only time I look at a trim gauge, other than testing a new prop, is when I’m trimming up to load the boat on the trailer. And even there I could easily go by sound. On a new boat, I’d personally wait until I had something else go wrong [or some new toy I want the dealer to install], then have the dealer fix it at that time. 3 years warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post

It sucks to have stuff broken on a new boat but the trim gauge is pretty much useless. All the way down till you hear the motor bottom out (change tone) to take off, then trim up by feel and boat attitude.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

I understand of course the OP wanting his stuff to work...for me..I could have a 2020 Z521L and first trip I'd drag the lower unit through some grass or sand...no more speedo...wouldn't think twice about it..I know that tug is gonna do 67 no matter what!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Good questions, Mike. If he has access to digital trim data via Merc Monitor, etc., that would be the way to go instead of the built-in analog gauge. And if the digital readout is showing normal read outs, then we know that the analog gauge needs replacing. If the digital gauge doesn't read properly either, the issue is in the engine. We've seen "working a little" to mean, frequently, that the trim needs to be calibrated, particularly on Mercury engines. Like you, I don't know what the OP means by working a little in this case.

How do we calibrate the trim? I asked this questions to the mechanic and he said he can't (differrent Mercury Engine but would think the sensors are the same or similar).
    2016 Ranger Z518
    Mercury 150 HP Fourstroke

14. Member
    I was told they need to be calibrated with a laptop with the Mercury software as mine has issues.
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

15. Member
    Good to know, I'm going there tomorrow to see whats happening.

16. Member
    New trim sensor and pin, 2nd time, gauge still not working while running. They said it's calibrated. Has to be the gauge it's self. Calling them in a few.
    2019 Ranger Z518L
    2019 Mercury 200 PRO XS

I have a 2019 518L. Mine seems to work well but I can say that the smart craft reads almost instantaneously and the dash gauge takes a sec to catch up. I don’t keep my merc gauges set on the screen that shows the trim level nor do I drive the boat to what the gauge says but I do look at it for some kind of mental reassurance before I shoot a flat at 60+ mph. The money I spent for the boat I agree it needs to work for what ever your way of use may be. If you want to pm me I can take pics next time I am out of what the digital numbers relate to the gauge scale states

Warranty, who cares if it is Mercury, Ranger, or third party that makes the gauge. You paid for it and it should work. Every time I have had to deal with Ranger on warranty issues, they have been TOP NOTCH.

19. Member
    FWIW just got mine out yesterday to start the break-in. Noticed that as well. I like it mainly for 2 reasons - (1) to verify what I am "feeling" and (2) when I am loading - I learn to find out where it likes to be and stick it there before loading.

I guess I'll be going back for warranty work as well once I know it is a fixable problem.

20. Member
    Just curious, when your trimmed out and running, where is the needle on your trim gauge, not the smart gauge, but the trim gauge under the speedometer. When I take off, it takes so long before it starts to move. When I'm trimmed out, the needle never even touches the 1/2 way point. Only happens when I'm running. If I'm idling and trim it up, it will go all the way to the right. All my other boats that I owned would go to about 3/4 Max.
    2019 Ranger Z518L
    2019 Mercury 200 PRO XS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast