Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Those numbers are not possible on these hulls, the slip percentage with his #'s are in line with a full on race boat, Ive set up many Bullets and Gamblers and only achieve 5-7% slip. I would check the tach for true rpm but no nitro is going to run 78mph period with 250hp of any brand.

2. Member
    They say they have it resolved. Hot foot out of adjustment. Notified less than an hour ago, that it is running 76.7 mph. I dont know whether that is with one person or two. I will know for myself tomorrow wvening.
    Dale Johnston
    Wichita, KS
    2019 nitro z20, mercury pro xs 250 four stroke

3. Member
    I will try to post a pic of the mph on the gps. If I can figure out how to post pics from my phone
    Dale Johnston
    Wichita, KS

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wichibass View Post
    They say they have it resolved. Hot foot out of adjustment. Notified less than an hour ago, that it is running 76.7 mph. I dont know whether that is with one person or two. I will know for myself tomorrow wvening.
    What adjustment did they make to the hotfoot? I am having the same speed issue as you. Hoping this will also resolve my issue.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KJW83 View Post
    What adjustment did they make to the hotfoot? I am having the same speed issue as you. Hoping this will also resolve my issue.
    I don't know exactly what adjustment was made. They say the hot foot was advancing too far and actually choking out the motor. If I pushed on the hotfoot to fast it would do this. if I slowly advanced accelerator it would drive at a faster speed. I found this out by talking to a different mechanic from Ulrich marine in west Branson. You should be to tell your mechanic that it not working correctly. Kelly from Ulrich, said about 75 percent of other dealer boats that come to him have this issue. The new 4 stroke motors are finicky about this.
    Dale Johnston
    Wichita, KS

6. Member
    Can you send a picture of where they mounted it on the jack plate im having the same issue

7. Member
    I know this is a old post but like many of the other guys on here.. I am having the same issue with performance out of this boat.. 2023 21xl with the 250 4s. With 2 guys and live well full best I can get is 65mph at 5800 to 5850 rpm from my smart guage. When the boat was completely empty, light fuel and just me I was about 5900 rpm and 70 mph. 23p fury 3 blade group 31 agm batteries. Just not sure how all these guys are getting these speeds. I do not get much bow lift either, which i am sure is part of the issue along with being 400 rpms light of where it needs to be. I have moved the motor up and down with out much difference. I was able to get the rpms up to 6k by moving it up about 1.5-2 inches but lost speed. Truly I am just frustrated with this boat at this point. Hoping someone was having similar issues and was able to figure it out.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoytrb View Post
    I know this is a old post but like many of the other guys on here.. I am having the same issue with performance out of this boat.. 2023 21xl with the 250 4s. With 2 guys and live well full best I can get is 65mph at 5800 to 5850 rpm from my smart guage. When the boat was completely empty, light fuel and just me I was about 5900 rpm and 70 mph. 23p fury 3 blade group 31 agm batteries. Just not sure how all these guys are getting these speeds. I do not get much bow lift either, which i am sure is part of the issue along with being 400 rpms light of where it needs to be. I have moved the motor up and down with out much difference. I was able to get the rpms up to 6k by moving it up about 1.5-2 inches but lost speed. Truly I am just frustrated with this boat at this point. Hoping someone was having similar issues and was able to figure it out.
    I think some of these guys with speeds are either running really light, or could have some exaggerations going on. I think 65 with co angler and livewells full and 70 solo in your boat is pretty much standard for most people. Maybe you could lighten your load and swap props around and gain a mph or 2, but you aren't likely to run mid 70s in your boat.

These guys are talking about a Z20 as well, which is a touch faster than the 21s
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

I am able to run over 70 up to 71.5 in cooler months on my Z21, had 69 with 2 people and normal load and 1/2 to 3/4 tank. My 2021 was a 73.5 mph boat. So i lost 2mph on the 2023. If its not lifting you found your problem. Prop, weight distribution, possibly not getting full throttle.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

10. Member
    Bryan, can you measure your prop to pad number for me? I am guessing about 3" but would be nice to know exactly where you are to see how far off I am from your set up. Also are you running a 23p fury 3 blade?

Bryan, can you measure your prop to pad number for me? I am guessing about 3" but would be nice to know exactly where you are to see how far off I am from your set up. Also are you running a 23p fury 3 blade?
    23p Fury 3 blade. I'm also right at 3" think I last set it to 3.25.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

12. Member
    Thank you.

13. Member
    78 seems fast, for sure. However, I made a prop change this past weekend and I'm seeing some pretty good numbers. I tested these props back to back, same loads and conditions. Air temp was 60, so the motor was happy. These numbers are 100% real... I don't care how fast my boat is. It is what it is.

2020 Z20/Pro XS 250hp
    Manual 8" jackplate
    3.25 P2P
    10' Powerpoles Blades
    3/4 fuel
    empty livewells
    Full Lithium
    Full equipment load
    1 person
    removed passenger console

Old Prop Fury 24p - 6050rpms, Top Speed 71.5mph (GPS)
    New Prop Fury 25p - 5950rpms, Top Speed 74.1mph (GPS) Hole shot was noticeably better with the 25p, as was the overall grip in turns. I was getting a little to much rooster tail, but I didn't play with the jackplate at all, I would not be surprised if I could have squeezed a touch more out of her, buy I don't have much of a desire to run over 74. LOL

Bottomline, the Z20 is capable of some impressive numbers. I wish I could have a little more bow lift.
    2020 Nitro Z20
    250hp Mercury Pro XS

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Regit777 View Post
    78 seems fast, for sure. However, I made a prop change this past weekend and I'm seeing some pretty good numbers. I tested these props back to back, same loads and conditions. Air temp was 60, so the motor was happy. These numbers are 100% real... I don't care how fast my boat is. It is what it is.

2020 Z20/Pro XS 250hp
    Manual 8" jackplate
    3.25 P2P
    10' Powerpoles Blades
    3/4 fuel
    empty livewells
    Full Lithium
    Full equipment load
    1 person
    removed passenger console

Old Prop Fury 24p - 6050rpms, Top Speed 71.5mph (GPS)
    New Prop Fury 25p - 5950rpms, Top Speed 74.1mph (GPS) Hole shot was noticeably better with the 25p, as was the overall grip in turns. I was getting a little to much rooster tail, but I didn't play with the jackplate at all, I would not be surprised if I could have squeezed a touch more out of her, buy I don't have much of a desire to run over 74. LOL

Bottomline, the Z20 is capable of some impressive numbers. I wish I could have a little more bow lift.
    Your numbers are totally believable. I'm currently running around 72 with a tempest 24, near redline RPMS (to be honest I'm scared to pull up the app while running that fast lol). I have a 25 P tempest that I could throw on, guessing I'd be a touch faster. The tempest just seemed to lift better for me vs the fury props, but I'm not an expert driver or anything so could totally be driver error. One of the biggest thing's I've noticed is how temp sensitive that mercury is. That thing runs great on 40 degree mornings around here, its very noticeable vs 90 degree days in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    Your numbers are totally believable. I'm currently running around 72 with a tempest 24, near redline RPMS (to be honest I'm scared to pull up the app while running that fast lol). I have a 25 P tempest that I could throw on, guessing I'd be a touch faster. The tempest just seemed to lift better for me vs the fury props, but I'm not an expert driver or anything so could totally be driver error. One of the biggest thing's I've noticed is how temp sensitive that mercury is. That thing runs great on 40 degree mornings around here, its very noticeable vs 90 degree days in the summer.
    All naturally aspirated motors have the same issue with heat and humidity.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    All naturally aspirated motors have the same issue with heat and humidity.
    True, I guess its just more noticeable on a boat when you are using 100% of the engine power to run top speed, vs a vehicle where you are rarely running the engine full blast.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wichibass View Post
    The motor was installed too high on the jackplate. The dealership lowered it and put the original prop back on it. No load and very little gas, I couldn't drive it over 78mph, by myself. It got out of control. So I will be able to put all of my equipment, and should have great speed. Thanks for all of the input on the previous thread.
    78 mph wow! Would like to see that picture.
    2019 Nitro Z20
    250 ProXS

18. Member
    What is the prop to pad height on the original post?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrebass View Post
    What is the prop to pad height on the original post?
    What I have found out after the years of owning this boat:
    1. Very sensitive to fuel load.
    2. Very sensitive ro having some else in the boat.
    3. 24 pitch, 4 blade fury is the best prop for me.

Here is a breakdown of my numbers with various loads. 10" hydraulic jack plate. HOLE SHOT HAS NEVER BEEN AN ISSUE NO MATTER WHAT PROP. But, I am turning a 24 fury 4 about 5900 rpm.
    1. VERY little fuel, no tackle--75+ mph and hard to drive with ANY boat traffic.
    2. Add another graph to the bow in all scenarios lose 1 mph.
    3. Add a turret or 360, lose another mph.
    4. Half or a little less fuel, me alone, heavy tackle load, 70mph.
    5. Half or less fuel, 2 guys, heavy load, 68mph.
    6. Full fuel, me alone, heavy load, 68 touching 69 mph.
    7. Full fuel, 2 guys, heavy load, 64 mph.
    8. These numbers are cooler weather, clear water.
    9. Dirty water-- lose .5 mph.
    10. Hot weather--lose at least 1 mph if not 2.

So, as you can see, I only run the boat, with a full tackle load. I do mean a lot of tackle. Very seldom do I run with less than a half tank of fuel. Plus, I'm not small, 260 pounds.
    Just my observations.
    PS-- speeds are gps. Everything else is analog gauges.
    Dale Johnston
    Wichita, KS

20. Member
    10 inch jack plate.

Mine came with a 12 inch manual, so not sure how much difference this makes in performance.

I like your detailed breakdown of weights and performance. I agree with the sensitivity of the boat in different conditions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast