Tilt issue 2012 150 opti

Ser# 1B914695 I let my brother drive my boat and when he was coming into shore with the motor tilted so the prop was just in the water he gunned the engine to shoot a spray of water, the engine instantly tilted down, I understand this is what an Optimax is supposed to do when revved over 2000 Rpm when on tilt. Now my engine will not stay tilted up, if I tilt engine on the tilt ram it will slowly drop back down till it rest on the trim rams. Trim works with no issues only a problem on the tilt ram, any ideas.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    May have forced debris into the check valves. Try running trim FULL DOWN and stall it for 4 seconds. Then check again.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Just got a call back from my Mercury dealer, they replaced seals in tilt ram but unit still leaked down they think that there is an internal crack in cylinder and are advising me that I need a new trim/tilt assembly, in Canada this will cost me just under $3000! I am trying to source a used one without much luck. Is part# 855998A11 the part I should be looking for?

4. Member
    find a used late model 2 wire 3 ram system ,roll on
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    http://www.trimandtilt.com/index.html. Try these guys maybe they can help. I used them to rebuild my trim on my 98 Merc 115 and they did a great job.

6. Member
    I had a similar thing happen on my 09 150hp different circumstance as I was moving my boat motor and accidentally cracked the trim tilt casing. I found a complete trim assembly for $400 cnd on kijiji and replaced it myself in a couple hours. Only real big deal was to hold the motor up while it was being replaced.
    2009 Optimax 150XL
    on 2010 Crestliner Sportfish 1850 SST