I've had 2 different fish/ski style boats that I have tried many different props on. Quite a few years ago I found that a Mach IV prop was by far the best prop for hole shot and top speed. This prop was similar to a trophy but with a flared barrel. It had a small barrel, O/T exhaust, 4 blades and a flared barrel. This prop did everything great. It pulled water skiers, didn't slip in turns, and was by far my fastest.

I've had a lot of problems propping my current boat. My best props are a 24" Bravo I or a 23" Rev4 both modified with with 6 of 8 PVS holes open. However, I really like the TXP OT4, Pro Max, and Trophy 4 blade props for speed and mid range acceleration but the holeshot on all of these is horrible. No matter what combination of PVS holes, and/or the addition of a vent ring, all these props surge (grip, slip, grip, slip....) terrible on hole shot.
I don't think there are any O/T small barrell 4 blades props with a flared barrel made any more.

So my question is, can a flare be added to small hub props? Would this help with hole shot surging?