Thread: Funeral Pics

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Funeral Pics

The other thread got me thinking about phones/cameras...at my brothers funeral there was a guy walking around with his phone on his hip!! Really, I went over and told him "that thing better not go off during my brothers funeral" he looked at me pulled it off his hip and turned it off. Would the right thing would have been not to bring it in? Who takes pics at funerals?

2. Banned
    Selfies at a funeral? Someone, somewhere has done it.

3. Banned
    Why would you assume he was going to take pics of the funeral just because he had his phone on him??

People carry their phones on them. If they’re on silent it’s no big deal. I think most people realize to turn the ringer off during something like this.

Sorry for your loss by the way.
    Last edited by catch5; 08-17-2019 at 10:33 AM.

4. Member
    I didn't think much of my SIL's camera at my Mothers funeral.

5. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Pretty much everyone there had one, why would having it be an issue
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

Lot of people carry their phones on their hip. Probably 95% of the people there had their phones on them, not sure why it's a problem. People take their phones everywhere now. It would be different if he was talking on his phone in the middle of the funeral or using it in some other way. I understand it was an emotional time for you, but really don't think it warranted you going up to him and essentially threatening him.

7. Member
    Almost every phone has a camera now. While bringing it to a funeral is poor taste, assuming he’s taking pictures is too. I highly doubt that was his concern.

8. Member
    I'd been a little ticked if you had rolled up on about my phone on my hip.
    Thats where it always is and yes it would have been on silent. Dont see the big deal.

9. Banned
    Is it appropriate to take photos at a funeral?

The very thought of posting a picture of the deceased in a casket on social media is appalling and should never happen. However, there may be some circumstances when taking pictures might be okay. Here are some tips on taking pictures at funerals: Never photograph anyone at a funeral without asking permission first.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    Selfies at a funeral? Someone, somewhere has done it.
    Yep. That was pathetic.

11. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I dont think having a phone at funeral is an issue, the problem is that people dont know how to put there phones on mute/vibrate......back in July i had my uncles funeral and during the rosary that eveing, they had at least two phones that started ringing during the praying.........one was a kids and another was an older gentleman.....now for me, i leave my phone in the car at a funeral or mass/church functions.......people these days think they will die and not make it thru a few hours is they dont have their phones attached to them.

As for pics, IMO, someone dont need to be taken pics of the deceased, if thats what the intention is.....

Just the other day, my step daughter showed me a pic of a deceased small infant/kid (less than a yr old) that was posted on FaceBook by the mother....i think the intetion was to be aware of some type of medical issue that the kid had but i dont care YOU JUST DONT POST PICS like that on FACEBOOK.....but then again, most people are trying to get their fame on Facebook these days.......
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

12. Member
    Leave phone in car period , why would someone wear a phone at a funeral ? They probably are not going to use it anyway . .. today people are just so addicted to phones it's sad
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

13. Member
    Everyone has cell phones these days and I am sure there were others there that had phones that you did not see. Now to pictures at funerals. I too think it is in poor taste to take pictures without permission. i am 75 and I had a twin brother that had an accident and passed away when we were 19. I did not know about it but my parents gave permission to a member of our church to take 8mm film of my brother and many of the guest, but not during the funeral. Some 30 years later I came across this film that had been given to my parents by the church member. I really appreciated having this film after 30 years. In a way it was sad and did bring back unhappy memories but also was a comfort seeing people that came to give support, people that no longer are living and people that over time I had forgotten about. I would not have wanted to view the film for several years after the funeral, but after the 30 years had passed, it was not entertaining but it was some sort of a blessing. You don't remember much during these times of death so the film was good in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
    The other thread got me thinking about phones/cameras...at my brothers funeral there was a guy walking around with his phone on his hip!! Really, I went over and told him "that thing better not go off during my brothers funeral" he looked at me pulled it off his hip and turned it off. Would the right thing would have been not to bring it in? Who takes pics at funerals?
    You were in the wrong for confronting the guy for having a phone on his hip. He obviously thought highly enough of your brother to come pay his respects. I see people with phones at funerals all the time and it’s a non issue unless they do something distasteful. Emergencies can still happen and people need to be contacted.

My father took pictures of his grandparents and his parents in their casket. Not something I would do but must have been a thing back then. I have seen many pictures of people in a casket.

P01135809

16. Member
    There will be plenty of time to apologize to the guy you jumped, after things settle down for you and your family. Sorry for the loss of your brother.

17. Member
    This very reason is why I want just a burial service and then a giant party. Hell have a beer while you watch me lowered into the ground.

I carry my phone with me everywhere I go for various reasons.. When I go inside I turn it to silent...I've been in 7 funeral homes since February.... Both parents I had left, great uncle yesterday, couple of high school friends, a long time friends.. Phone was with me at all of them... Not one time did I think about taking pictures.. But I wouldn't have let you scold me about my phone on my hip either... Would've prolly took your picture.. Sorry for your loss...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

19. Banned
    I read it as the OP told the guy that he didn't want the phone ringing during the funeral.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pavi69 View Post
    My father took pictures of his grandparents and his parents in their casket. Not something I would do but must have been a thing back then. I have seen many pictures of people in a casket.
    Apparently it was something many did years ago, I have heard of it. I would not do it. If someone did it I would hope it was their parent or as you said grandparents, but not pictures of friends in a casket.
    Praying for a Cure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast