Was it the Rat or the new Update????My story.

I'm still having trouble with Global and Local settings. Could it be a problem with NMEA 2k?

I can't view sonar from the TM on one unit and view sonar from a different source on another unit. If I change source on one unit it changes it on all units. I've tried all different kinds of resets, updates, local global. I've tried taking both gen2 9touch units off the network. I've tried taking the gen3 7 off, and also the Carbon 9 off. Heck, I even hooked the old gen2 9touch units together with nothing else, still can't select a different source for each unit. It's got to be some setting, but for the life of me I can't find it.

My setup.

Console - Carbon 9 ,3in1
    Console - gen2 9touch, shoot thru puck(Ranger installed)

Bow - gen3 7, HDI
    Bow - gen2 9touch, no ducer (I do have the MinnKota cone mounted available)

Point 1
    temp sensor

All units connected with Lowrance network and NMEA 2k.
    I normally use the gen2 9touch units for Map and 2d sonar only. This setup has worked very well,....until.

I'll try to make this brief, but the story started almost two months ago. I normally don't fish much in the summertime, I don't like the heat anymore. I also added a shop beside my house this spring for the boat and truck. The shop was finished in late May and the boat moved into its new home. The next few weeks were spent on dirt and sod work around the shop. I also had to move all my "stuff"/tools/frig....into the shop. One morning walking into the shop I saw a healthy looking Rat jogging across the shop floor (more on him later). I also managed to find time to take everything out of the boat to clean and organize.

First time out this summer, just a couple days after organizing the boat, I pulled up to my first spot and found out I had no sonar on the trolling motor and my network was acting all messed up. I don't think it's wiring related because the units are never disconnected. When I got home I decided to do a hard reset thinking it might fix everything. And since I now have wifi in the shop I might as well install any updates available. No change. I decided to check some wiring. Removed the bow panel and found the home of what I assume is that rat I saw jogging around the shop(he has since deceased). The HDI cable was chewed clean in half and one of my Lowrance ethernet cables was nicked up.

I ordered a new HDI transducer for the TM and decided to upgrade the old lss1 on the Carbon to the 3in1. I also ordered all new Lowrance network cables. Everything seems to be working except the global/local settings.
    2012 Ranger Z521, 250 ProXS

After trying all different combinations of units/settings/resets I stumbled across the culprit.

All of my Local/Global settings were correct, but my sonar source keeps reverting back to "single source" instead of "multi source". When I try to change to "multi source" I get an error saying the two gen2touch units are preventing the change to multi source sonar. I am able to remove the two gen2touch units from the network and reset the Carbon and gen3 units to "multi source" and it works correctly.

I tried only networking the two gen2touch units together and I am not able to view multi source sonar. I don't even see a menu with the option. I know these two Gen2touch units should be able display different sonar on each unit when they are the only two units on the network. I had it setup this way for years before I added the Gen3 and the Carbon units.

I guess the question now is how do you set a Gen2touch unit to multi source sonar?

3. Member
    You don’t... what you encountered is called “legacy mode” and a major draw back introducing a Gen2 product on a network with newer units. A limited work around is to eliminate the ethernet but keep the NMEA net. This gets you limited waypoint sharing at the cost of map sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by yupitsme View Post
    A limited work around is to eliminate the ethernet but keep the NMEA net. This gets you limited waypoint sharing at the cost of map sharing.
    This is how I left it setup. What do you mean by limited waypoint sharing? I thought I lost all way point sharing without ethernet. Limited would be better than nothing.

I can understand the Legacy Mode kicking in on the Carbon, but what makes no sense is the gen2touch units not working like they used to when only networked with each other. Since new they've always been able to have more than one sonar source. These units should be able to do this,

5. Member
    With a legacy unit (Gen2 Touch or older) it has never been possible to have more than one active sonar source on an Ethernet network. To show two or more sources Network sonar in the Settings, Sonar menu has to be deactivated. With this deactivated it's possible to show the internal sonar locally for every unit with Network sonar deactivated. This has always been the case and is still the case. Gen2 Touch or older MFD's, StructureScan, StructureScan HD, BSM-1 as well as SonarHub or StructureScan 3D with old software (NOS54 or older) will force Gen3 or newer units into single source sonar mode (legacy mode). Old Gen3 software (NOS54 or older) will also set the system to legacy mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Scuirus View Post
    With a legacy unit (Gen2 Touch or older) it has never been possible to have more than one active sonar source on an Ethernet network. To show two or more sources Network sonar in the Settings, Sonar menu has to be deactivated. With this deactivated it's possible to show the internal sonar locally for every unit with Network sonar deactivated. This has always been the case and is still the case. Gen2 Touch or older MFD's, StructureScan, StructureScan HD, BSM-1 as well as SonarHub or StructureScan 3D with old software (NOS54 or older) will force Gen3 or newer units into single source sonar mode (legacy mode). Old Gen3 software (NOS54 or older) will also set the system to legacy mode.

Thank you, I stand corrected.

Any chance I can share waypoints through nmea only? I don't need map sharing.

Again, thanks.

7. Member
    You should be able to share waypoints with Nmea only

8. Banned
    You need to go into your nmea menu and make sure wypt sharing is turned on. They will only transfer for now on if both graphs are one. With Ethernet, they’d transfer anytime the graphs were hooked together. Nmea is a step backwards, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

9. Member
    I think what you missed was the word “active” in post #5. If the Gen 2 units are connected in the Network, you can only view 1 sonar transducer at a time on any unit. This is Legacy mode. If you take the Gen 2s out of the Network but keep them Etherneted to each other, they will still be able to view any single sonar source on their network. The Gen 3 and Carbon can show multiple active sonars at the same time as long as Multisource is turned on and there are no legacy units in their network.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

Just curious, what functionality do I loose in legacy mode? Does it effect image quality?

Evidently it was running in legacy mode before the rat attack and I had good image quality on down and side scan (old lss1). Based on what Scuirus posted above I had orginally deactivated network sonar on a gen2 so it would always stay on my thru hull transducer. I may be tempted to go that way again and let it stay in legacy mode. I haven't really had a chance to study the 3in1 images because I've been messing with the network and cables.

Side note - Has my Carbon always been on legacy mode? Could it have started after the last big update when the carbon home screen changed to match the Live home screen?

11. Member
    Legacy mode does not affect image quality. It only affects your ability to multisource transducer data. Remember Network Sonar is not the same thing as Multisource. Network Sonar has been available since Gen 1 and just means the network can use any transducer data on any unit.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

12. Member
    Legacy mode do affect image quality. The new ping based signal processing introduced in NOS55 will be deactivated in legacy mode. The ping based surface clarity and noise attenuation processing is happening in the sonar module. Prior to NOS55 and in legacy mode the surface clarity and noise attenuation processing is done at the unit displaying the sonar data, this is a simpler and less powerful processing than the ping based processing.