Thread: Solix vs Helix

Solix vs Helix

Going to invest in new finders for my boat. Currently have 9”Helix Gen2 SI and DI Mega Chirp units. Going to go 12” bow and Console or 12” bow and 15” console along with a Garmin Live scope up front. Really like the idea of a touch screen at the console but hear that Solix and Helix don’t play well together. Would love to hear pros and cons as this will be a big investment. Also would love feedback on mounts. Boat is a 2017 Basscat Eyra

The only "play" between those two models is sharing waypoints.

SOLIX units have gimbal mounts just like the Helix units do.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Thanks. Others? Pros and cons of Helix vs Solix? Looks like most Pros are running Helix’s so makes me wonder if there are issues with Solix?

4. Banned
    I like them both for different reasons but run the Solix as it's a little easier to move around. You might want to try one of the 9's on the bow with the livescope. I have one of my GN2 Helix 10's on the bow and for summer fishing and it's nothing more than a map. The LS is the workhorse for me right now.

When I get back to more shallow water the 360 will come into play more and I will use it with a 12" helix. I am running the 10 because a buddy needed to borrow the 12 while his was sent off.

5. Member
    Thanks for your reply. I plan to use the bow unit mostly for map and DI. I’m thinking the Helix would be good for that but I want the Solix at the wheel for SI and Map. Definitely prefer the touch screen here hence the question about mixing Solix and Helix.

6. Member
    I run a Solix at the helm. I touch it a lot! - I would never go back to a helix there.

I still run an 898c SI at the bow - essentially a Helix. If you will always use it in one setting (360, DI, etc.), the Helix is a great fit for the bow.
    1985 Ranger 340v w/ 1985 Johnson GT150 Crossflow
    2018 BassCat Pantera Classic w/ 2018 Mercury 200 ProXS

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoZero View Post
    I run a Solix at the helm. I touch it a lot! - I would never go back to a helix there.

I still run an 898c SI at the bow - essentially a Helix. If you will always use it in one setting (360, DI, etc.), the Helix is a great fit for the bow.
    thanks!

8. Member
    I have 2 Solix 12 g2 units and I don’t think it would be easy to go back to no touch helix units. Once you use the Solix for a while an d become familiar with some of the idiosyncrasies, then you will be good. They do use a lot of power so I always put console unit on standby when I’m at the bow and vise versa. They start up slower than networked helixes. I really don’t think you can go wrong with either set up. Mega is second to none. Have fun with what you choose.

9. Member
    I have a Solix and like it but I use the rotary dial quite a bit to fine tune the settings. Like the post above they do take a lot more power to run and it will take a little time to learn the Solix.

10. Member
    To me solix is just easier and faster to change settings and navigate through menus. I don't set my units and forget them I'm always adjusting something.
    Matt I
    2006 Triton 20xhp 225 Merc Pro XS
    Solix 15 G1, Solix 12 G2, Helix 12 gen4 12 gen3 , Ultrex 112, Mega 360, Mega Live

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Limbhanger51 View Post
    Thanks. Others? Pros and cons of Helix vs Solix? Looks like most Pros are running Helix’s so makes me wonder if there are issues with Solix?
    I will tell you that I discovered my boat had Solix power cords hanging loose under both the console and bow from the previous owner. And those connections aren't cheap. The boat was only 1 year old at purchase. So something must have happened to switch from Solix to the Helixes I bought it with.

12. Member
    I just switched back to birds and have a Solix 10 up front with 360 and a Solix 12 at the dash and I love them...

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TonkaCat View Post
    I have 2 Solix 12 g2 units and I don’t think it would be easy to go back to no touch helix units. Once you use the Solix for a while an d become familiar with some of the idiosyncrasies, then you will be good. They do use a lot of power so I always put console unit on standby when I’m at the bow and vise versa. They start up slower than networked helixes. I really don’t think you can go wrong with either set up. Mega is second to none. Have fun with what you choose.
    I ended up ordering a 15” for the console and a 12” for the bow. Do the bigger units draw substantially more power?

Quote Originally Posted by Limbhanger51 View Post
    I ended up ordering a 15” for the console and a 12” for the bow. Do the bigger units draw substantially more power?
    Yes, the installation instructions show a 5A Slow-blow fuse for the 12 and a 7.5A Slow-blow fuse for the 15.

The amp draw is shown in the specs on the Humminbird website.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

15. Member
    I have a solix and helix, I much prefer the solix, the touch screen makes all the difference to me. Mine quit reading depth but humminbird took care of it quickly and without question, even sent it back with a new cover and replaced a broken plug cap.
    Bullet 21XD, 250 PRO XS