What year gas smell eliminated

What year did Triton boats address the fuel smell in compartments? Or is it still an issue?

2. Banned
    I’ve had a new one just about every year since 06 and have never had the gas smell issue.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonMan250 View Post
    I’ve had a new one just about every year since 06 and have never had the gas smell issue.
    I have a 2006, and I definitely have the gasoline smell. It may not be as severe as others, but I was just curious what year it was fixed if at all. Apparently I have one of the last years that it did it based on what you said in your email. Thanks for the reply.

4. Member
    07 has gas smell.
    BOB GASKINS TARPON SPRINGS,FL
    07 TR186 150 OPTI

The fuel tanks went to the new barrier style (epa regulated) tanks to reduce or eliminate fuel vapor permeation through the tank walls in 2010.

6. Member
    Any of the 2 strokes with a gas cap under the cover will trap fumes under the cover, have your cover modified with a flap over the gas cap will allow it to vent. Now if it’s stored in a garage that’s not really going to help. I inspected the fuel tank on my 2003 triton and the plastic gas tank had zero smell of fuel.

7. Member

8. Member
    I’ve been back in there a few times to inspect. I suspect that the early tritons with the fuel fill and vent line may be subject to spillage/leakage where they connect to the gas cap. Because the gunwale is open up to the rod locker the fume would more than likely vent into there. I always have a bit of a gas smell because I keep a poly tarp over the boat when it’s in the driveway, it dissipates before I get to the boat ramp, I trailer my boat without the cover.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob McKenzie View Post
    Thank you for the replies and for that link.

10. Member
    Triton had a fix years ago that involved installing small vents under the seats to let the smell out. The smell comes from the plastic tank permitting fumes to penetrate through it.

11. Member
    I have a 2007 Triton TR186 and since the last couple of years the fuel smell in the front rod locker and trunk has been really bad. I believe it deteriorates my fishing line, ruins reel paint finish and is a potential explosion hazard to have these trapped fumes. I've read most of these post and have checked all my fuel line, fuel filler hose and filler vent hose and I see no sign of fuel in the bilge area. So, replacing the tank is not an option. No way to get to it without destroying the boat. I cut the carpet out of the two little vent/water drains in front of each seat. When I removed the fuel line inspection plate beside the driver seat I drilled it full of half inch holes, repainted it and mounted it back on. When I removed the fuel filler hose inspection plate behind the passenger seat I discovered that the factory vents were not even mounted over the inspection hole and one side was covered by the seat. Remounted it so at least one side of the plate vented. I then took the back out of the passenger rod holder remounting the face plate only. No more trapped fumes. Good to go, but no smoking allowed.
    Last edited by Mike4; 08-01-2023 at 10:13 PM.

12. Member
    My 2008 stinks. I keep all compartments open year-round in the garage.
    2008 Tr 21X- 2018 250 Mercury Pro XS 4S
    2B595479

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmaster,RN View Post
    My 2008 stinks. I keep all compartments open year-round in the garage.
    Yep, I always crack my back compartment with a small piece of 1" board when the boat is at home.

This allows the battery fumes to escape, water in bilge to dry out faster and if you have gas fumes, the fumes can vent out too.
    1998 Triton TR-20, 2017 Evinrude 150HO

14. Member
    My boat had this issue. Found a loose hose connection on top of gas tank. Tightened the fuel connector on top of tank ( access through storage tray between driver and passenger seats ) and viola; gas odor is gone.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

15. Member
    Yeah this last time out I filled it to the top and had a very small amount of fuel come out the drain plug at the end of the day. I am thinking the vent is not quite doing it's job.
    Fish have fins, they swim

16. Member
    2022 and still smell it

17. Member
    I once had a 2008 Triton bass boat with those vents and no smell.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    Triton had a fix years ago that involved installing small vents under the seats to let the smell out. The smell comes from the plastic tank permitting fumes to penetrate through it.

18. Member
    2023 and mine has it.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

19. Member
    Had to deal with the odor on a 2008 TR196 but my smell wasn’t related to the tarp not having an opening over the gas cap. It had the smell whenever I opened the rod locker even though it always sat inside a heated/ac garage without the tarp. So always left lockers open in the garage. Believe it was related to the problem described by Mr. Hale. Neither the 2013 or current 2018 TRX20 had the problem. Sure hope the new 20XP doesn’t have the problem. Lol

20. Member
    It’s not just Triton, my Skeeter has the same issue. My fuel caps and vents are external. I have to open all my lids at home also. I like the idea of the vents near seats. I may have to look at mine and see if there is a possibility of something like that. Otherwise what does anyone think about a vent in the floor above the tanks? I was thinking like the vents they make for live wells? Drill a hole and pop in a vent.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.