2009 Sabre Rear End Shifting

I am having issues with the rear end shifting left while getting on pad? Could it be hydraulic steering issues? I have slight play when on the trailer with the motor trimmed down level when I manually move the motor left & right by hand, maybe a strong 1/8". My PTP is 3 1/4 so I don't think the motor is too low.

2. Member
    1/8th movement is not enough to cause shifting. Maybe try raising the motor a 1/4 inch. If you have a 4 blade, the stern lift and being deep may contribute to the shift.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Here’s another thread that discusses a Sabre setup. It seems around 3.75” prop to pad is good starting point on a Sabre. You don’t mention what OB or JP you have. That will help someone with a similar setup point you in the right direction. As for my setup, I had raised my OB (3.25” PTP) and didn’t like the results. Though I didn’t mention it in my post, I experienced something similar to what you describe. The prop would slip when coming up on plane, and when cruising in the mid-range. That translated to the rear end jerking slightly at times. When I lowered it back to (3.75” PTP) the slipping stopped, and I gained speed (trim higher), smoother, easier steering, and increased WP. 3.25” seems like the high end of the PTP setting on a Sabre. I would recommend lowering the motor 1/8” - 1/4” at a time, and making a run to see how it affects slippage, steering, speed, and trim. But, that’s a guess not knowing your setup. Also, Sabres are very weight sensitive. They don’t like to be loaded heavy in the front. That might be another area to look at.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1000639
    Last edited by RazorCat; 08-17-2019 at 09:10 AM.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

4. Member
    Here is my setup:
    2009 Sabre (not FTD)
    2018 Mercury 150 HP Pro XS
    8" Slidemaster Jackplate
    Fury 3 23P Tuned by Ronnie Gilbert
    Motor Guide Tour 80
    Relion Lithium Batteries (60 lbs total for 3 batteries)
    3 bank Dual Pro Battery Charger
    I mainly crappie fish so I carry 4 spinning rods, 2 life jackets, 2 Plano 3700 size tackle boxes in the front
    Hole shot is 3 seconds with 3/4 tank gas, full live wells and myself
    Top Speed is 63 mph at 5600 RPM in this summer heat
    My only complaint is the movement of the rear of the boat while getting on pad
    I have ran about every Mercury prop available:
    23P & 25P Tempest
    23P & 24P Trophy
    25P Bravo 1 XS
    23P Fury 3
    I have ran everywhere from flush on the plate to 1" above. At 1/2" above I have slight steering torque which is what BCB recommends. Everything seems correct on the setup except the rear end movement.
    I have not been below flush with the plates, with the plate flush the steering is really loose, I raised until I have slight steering torque.
    Last edited by basscathash1; 08-17-2019 at 12:10 PM.

5. Member
    At what speed is this happening? I've seen several boats that have a significant lean to the left (or right) when sitting. When they come up on plane, they often maintain that lean until speed increases a bit more, then the boat levels out and runs normally. That lean can cause a slight shift-like feeling as the boat comes up far enough to level out. Whether that is your problem or not I don't know. If it is in the sub-30 mph range, that might be what you are seeing. If so, you should be able to see that the boat is not level side-to-side until it gets all the way up on plane.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

At 1” do you have more steering torque?

7. Member
    Yes, at 1" there is too much steering torque. At 1/2" steering torque is about right. The back end shifts at any jack plate setting. The boat does not sit level in the water, just me in the boat it leans to the drivers side.

It should lean and it should balance when you sit centered. The shifting is propeller slippage relative to gearcase and that’s gearcase bite slip. The new propellers and cup should tighten it, then looser with props like the Tempest. A bit more pitch should help and a lower pitch have more slippage of the actual case, which is what your feeling. That greasy feeling is able to be tamed depending on the level of slip on the case bite. Higher heights will have less shifting as the propellers are pulling more on one side.

Verify this is your experience, after reading this thoroughly, and we will move forwards.

9. Member
    The prop I am running is a new 23P Fury 3 tuned by Ronnie Gilbert. He welded a bead on the outer edge of the prop, added cup and then sandblasted the cupped portion of the blades. Hole shot is very good, bow lift is good, top end is good. It is just the slip that I would like to eliminate. However once it bites and settles in on the pad it runs good.

1. It should be looser with props like the Tempest.

2. A bit more pitch should help and a lower pitch have more slippage of the actual case, which is what your feeling.

3. Higher heights will have less shifting as the propellers are pulling more on one side.

Verify this is your experience, after reading this thoroughly, and we will move forwards.

11. Member
    Try running it at least 1/8” below flush. The 24 Fury runs great on mine at 3 3/4 (1/4 below flush). No slipping and no chine. It handles turns and chop way better lower. The 24 Tempest I have will slip at 3 3/8 and 3 3/4. Anywhere in between it stays hooked up. I won’t even run my Fury at flush. It beats me up in the chop at flush or higher.