Thread: Ranger Transom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ranger Transom

Is it possible to replace the rotted transom on a Ranger pre 1990?

Yes ! But you have to find a good shop that knows how to do it the right way. A section of the top cap has to be cut out, then you cut down the inside of the transom, just deep enough to remove the old rotted wood, with out cutting into the fiberglass. Then clean out all the damaged wood and glass in two layer of 1/2" marine plywood from top to bottom and side to side. Then glass the section of top back in and re paint and blend in. Not a cheap fix, but you'll be way better than before.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

I had Ranger put a new Transom in an older Ranger 330 Hit something very hard and broke it. Cost was around $8k if I remember right and that was back in the 90’s. Ranger cut out part of the top cap, removed old wood transom and glassed in a new pultruded fiberglass transom. Boat is still going strong, but I dont own it
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

4. Member
    It will cost more to fix it than it is worth.
    Last edited by printman71; 08-17-2019 at 08:34 AM.

5. Member
    $8000 my azz,Cut top cap my azz,Remove complete top cap is the only way to go.$2000 fix with wood, Maybe $3000 fix with composite Shop around.

Check out seacast. I cut a my top cap and removed all the wood. Replaced with seacast and now after 4 years it’s still holding strong.
    1995 Javelin 400TE w/ 2015 Honda 225
    2001 War Eagle 648 w/ 2001 Honda 50 jet

1995 Javelin 400TE w/ 2015 Honda 225
    2001 War Eagle 648 w/ 2001 Honda 50 jet

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turfy49431 View Post
    I had Ranger put a new Transom in an older Ranger 330 Hit something very hard and broke it. Cost was around $8k if I remember right and that was back in the 90’s. Ranger cut out part of the top cap, removed old wood transom and glassed in a new pultruded fiberglass transom. Boat is still going strong, but I dont own it
    Turfy, was that at Kerr lake? I remember seeing a Ranger with the transom busted that hit a bridge or something there years ago. The trim pistons were busted out on the outboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumping Jimmy View Post
    Turfy, was that at Kerr lake? I remember seeing a Ranger with the transom busted that hit a bridge or something there years ago. The trim pistons were busted out on the outboard.
    No that was when I lived in Michigan. I thought the insurance company would total it but they paid for it to get fixed and I sold it immediately

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    $8000 my azz,Cut top cap my azz,Remove complete top cap is the only way to go.$2000 fix with wood, Maybe $3000 fix with composite Shop around.
    Yea they cut the rear splashwell out on the top cap. And yes it was around 8k. It was done at the Ranger factory

11. Banned
    Good luck finding someone to do it for that. Maybe some guy doing it in his garage as a hobby might for that. A reputable shop sure isn’t going to touch it for that.

Like others have said, it’s likely going to cost you more than the boat is worth.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    Good luck finding someone to do it for that. Maybe some guy doing it in his garage as a hobby might for that. A reputable shop sure isn’t going to touch it for that.

Like others have said, it’s likely going to cost you more than the boat is worth.
    That is for sure. For 2,000, you might get a paper mâché transom
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    That is for sure. For 2,000, you might get a paper mâché transom
    +5 points for diacritical marks, -1 point for spelling.

14. Member
    guys it's not rocket science. The transom was bad in my boat.1990 Hydra sport 18ft DVTSX.Shop pulled complete top cap,replaced transom,sealed and gel coated complete transom 8 years later still going strong.Yall ar getting ripped a new one.

15. Banned
    guys it's not rocket science. The transom was bad in my boat.1990 Hydra sport 18ft DVTSX.Shop pulled complete top cap,replaced transom,sealed and gel coated complete transom 8 years later still going strong.Yall ar getting ripped a new one.
    Might be getting ripped, but unless one is going to do it themselves you don’t have many options. Nobody gonna touch that for $2500

16. Member
    boat repair 2012 006.JPGMike P5.jpgboat repair 2012 001.JPGMike P8.jpgboat repair 2012 005.JPGMike P13.jpgI reckon another good thing about living in the south is somethings just don't cost as much to have fixed,,,This was done at a fiberglass repair shop on High Rock Lake in 2012.Mine was rotten and splintered all to pieces,No external fiberglass damage,I discovered the problem by discovering a sunken bolt on the inside.Cost of the repair in 2012 was $1500 with plywood,Just the material difference to use composite was $800.
    Last edited by swamprat; 08-19-2019 at 02:11 PM.

17. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    It doesn't look like it was fiber glassed in, just painted. Could that be the difference in price?

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

18. Member
    This is how mine was done many many years ago even though mine was a Cajun. Complete top cap was removed and fixed from the inside. It came out perfect with no need to match gel & flake. It did cost about $8,000 but insurance paid for it since it was from hitting a stump that was right in the middle of a boat lane on Toledo Bend.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

19. Member
    Mike P12.jpgMike P7.jpgglassed in? yes..second pic is the original transom in a pile.Hydra Sport advertized this full width transom as their strongest ever,Wrong.The factory transom started growing fungus out the top at about five yrs. old.The original transom was two pieces of plywood stapled together,no glass or resin between them.New transom is two pieces laminated together,and glassed over ,and in.This was a cash money job,Cash is always cheaper than insurance job.

20. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Mike P12.jpgMike P7.jpgglassed in? yes..second pic is the original transom in a pile.Hydra Sport advertized this full width transom as their strongest ever,Wrong.The factory transom started growing fungus out the top at about five yrs. old.The original transom was two pieces of plywood stapled together,no glass or resin between them.New transom is two pieces laminated together,and glassed over ,and in.This was a cash money job,Cash is always cheaper than insurance job.
    Nice!

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast