Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    The corporate boys and girls sell the companies and hide behind shells. Good luck finding them, let alone making them pay to clean up their shit. ‘We didn’t do it, you can’t prove it, we’ll declare bankruptcy and good luck with it suckers.” Then they’re off to the next site.

ummm ---ArcelorMittal is a huge international corporation. It is not like they are going to just fold shop and hide somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by delee36 View Post
    ummm ---ArcelorMittal is a huge international corporation. It is not like they are going to just fold shop and hide somewhere.
    Good luck getting through their lawyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwoodz View Post
    The corporate and shareholders should be put into a row boat and anchored out into the lake then sink the boat.
    Personally - what I think should happen is no more direct dumping of effluent into waterways.
    I was talking to an friend of mine who is an Electrician at USS Steel (nextdoor to ArcelorMittal) - he says we don't realize how scary it actually is. Some parts of the plant have no back up systems and antiquated safeguards...and no one tending some of the systems with any regularity (other than some guy in a control room on the other side of the plant) The only thing that keeps 10's of thousands of gallons of poisonous waste water from going into the waterway is a $75 solenoid valve - should that solenoid valve fail, the time between its failure and someone getting to the manual control could be several minutes, which equates to thousands of gallons of untreated wastewater.

In this specific case - the entire Wisconsin Steel property is currently empty (though slated for a lakefront condos) - and both USS and Mittal have ACRES and ACRES of derelict property surrounding the plants (old office buildings, defunct mills etc) - I think they should build a bunch of tanks, like oil tanks, that their waste water is directed to and tested, cleaned, etc, before a drop of it being sent into waterways.
    yeah yeah ---so much $$$$ (the pushback i always get when I say this) - not sure I care much about how much $$$$ it costs.

Yep, they do about 19 BILLION per quarter in revenue. They just announced they needed to shed 2 billion$ in operating costs over the next 2 years. Maybe this chemical dump was part of the shedding process.

no - dumped into East branch of Little Calumet.
    Where did you get Riverdale from? The article I posted does not even mention Riverdale.
    I was confusing Lake Calumet on the Calumet River with Little Calumet. The other side of the lock from the Lake Calumet is what I would call Riverdale.

Now that you said Little Calumet all the closing by the Dunes make much more sense.
    Gambler 2200/250 Pro XS

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfish View Post
    Most corporations just see it as the cost of doing business as long as the fines are affordable and most of the American public does not care enough to complain unless it is causing immediate sickness or death, pretty sad but that is our culture.

This is exactly correct, in this day and age most people just don't care! Until it happens to them!!!

7. Member
    It goes way beyond these types of "dumping" of poison.

Down here they have been spraying poison into our waters of Rivers and Lakes for years to "control the vegetation". Problem is that was accomplished years ago and now it is just a Money Maker for someone. Fishermen were the first to complain but they were ignored and still are.

Last year Big O turned Green and they fixed it by flushing it out to the ocean and the Glades. So it not only poisoned Big O but every waterway connected to it on the way south and east/west. Again the Outdoorsmen complained but were ignored.

Now their precious Florida Panther is showing up with something effecting their rear legs so that they are walking funny and sometimes dragging them and what do they do? Turn to the Outdoorsmen to provide pics from the Game Cams to see just how wide spread this is and what is causing it, never even considering maybe all that poison water they have been drinking might just maybe have something to do with it. Instead they are letting the Public discuss that maybe SOMEONE is putting out poison meat or something to harm them.

Big Business and Governments will always get their way no matter what the people try to do.

8. Member
    I was just doing some reading on PFAS. This stuff looks like it is in water tables around the country. How the heck we treat our water supply so poorly is beyond my understanding. And yeah..no way they should do the Pebble Mine. We need seafood also and potentially poisoning a spawning area for salmon? Makes no sense. I watched a show on the pollution in the Ganges River in India. How you can treat a "sacred" river like that is unbelievable.

9. Member
    A truly advanced society would achieve a great lifestyle without "toxify-ing" it's environment.

I'm sure they have an industrial pretreatment program with limits on what they can discharge. Gross negligence should lead to more than just fines -put some people behind bars. This is ridiculous.

No big deal. Nature is resilient and will heal itself. Humans and the industrial revolution have only been here for a blink of the Earth's 6000 year history, we can't affect anything. The USA is already the cleanest in the world and sometimes accidents happen. If y'all made these businesses close b/c of things like this then how many jobs would be lost? The localities would lose a huge part of their tax base and struggle to provide basic services like police. Massive fines will just move the businesses overseas where they don't have environmental laws since these things are so infrequent it doesn't really harm much.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rds_nc View Post
    The USA is already the cleanest in the world
    lmao dude you sound like Ricky

Without trying to turn this into some kinda political BS. USA's environmental laws are some of the worst among 1st world Nato countries. Yes I know China and Russia are worse but I think its fair for everyone to expect a good country like the USA to do better by our environment than China India and Russia.
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

They just dumped an excess amount, sounds like they are continually dumping in that river.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rds_nc View Post
    No big deal. Nature is resilient and will heal itself. Humans and the industrial revolution have only been here for a blink of the Earth's 6000 year history, we can't affect anything. The USA is already the cleanest in the world and sometimes accidents happen. If y'all made these businesses close b/c of things like this then how many jobs would be lost? The localities would lose a huge part of their tax base and struggle to provide basic services like police. Massive fines will just move the businesses overseas where they don't have environmental laws since these things are so infrequent it doesn't really harm much.
    I take it you are being sarcastic, at least I hope so.

I thought everyone on here hated the EPA? Everyone wants to roll back the EPA regulations until it effects them. I don't know the answer but we have a system in place for this type of thing. Hopefully it gets improved.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman6805 View Post
    I thought everyone on here hated the EPA? Everyone wants to roll back the EPA regulations until it effects them. I don't know the answer but we have a system in place for this type of thing. Hopefully it gets improved.
    and give the polluters big tax breaks

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfish View Post
    I take it you are being sarcastic, at least I hope so.

Profile reads "Environmental Consultant" ...

images-1.jpeg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12