Highly inaccurate fuel gauge on my Z7

When I filled up my 41 gallon tank last week the gauge read between 1/2 and 3/4 full but the tank took 30 gallons which means I only had about 1/4 tank left. So, is the tank sender below the center seat on my Z7? How hard to replace? My analog factory gauge and the Mercury Smart gauge both read about the same so, I'm assuming the problem is the sender. Make sense? Anyone know about what a new sender might cost?
    Ray K.
    Mount Dora, FL

2012 Nitro Z7
    150 Merc Pro Xs
    Atlas Hydraulic JP
    Power Pole 10 ft Blades
    Minn Kota Ulterra 80 lb.
    Dual Consoles
    Lowrance HDS 8 & 5

[IMG][/IMG]

Could be as simple as corrosion on the wires
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Banned
    Honestly I have never had a boat that had a really good gas gauge. They usually show full when full but I end up running out of fuel before it shows empty. My ranger now seems to be the opposite. It shows empty but still has about 10 gallons left so at least I don't run it out while on the lake.

It can be adjusted. Its not a high tech item.

Im sure it involves some type of float on a wire.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

5. Member
    I have a 2012 Z7. I bought a Mercury Vessel View Mobile Link for $150 and it keeps track of fuel used and how much left. I have found that my gauge will read 1/4 full when it has about 6 gallons left. 1/2 tank is about 10 gallons left. Every time I put gas in the boat I update amount added in the VV. So far it appears to be pretty accurate. We go to Canada and make some long runs so I feel more comfortable knowing I have the analog gauge and the VV to see how much fuel is in the tank. I have had some issues on my last boat regarding the float and sending unit. Not hard to change out and DIY fix. There are many options when . But I agree, most boat fuel gauges are not as accurate. You can pay as cheap as $20 or as much as $125. You get what you paid for.
    Last edited by fisherman0916; 08-21-2019 at 07:37 AM.

I remember in 2008 one of the Nitro engineers talking about an accurate fuel gauge they were working on. Guess it never happened.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team