Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

'19 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7 L V8 Tow vehicle

I'm thinking about getting this SUV instead of a pickup truck. How well do yall think it will tow? https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=249370475

I'm currently towing with an '07 Jeep grand cherokee V8 that has a 3500 towing capacity, towing a 2003 19 ft Nitro with a 200 hp merc. Would like to get a 21 ft boat in a few years also.

Planning on towing on average weekly 1 hour round trip during the warm months, then two trips a year from NC to MD.

2. Member
    I think the Jeep is a unibody (no frame). It would probably tow OK, but stopping would be another issue.

It will tow like a monster. The key word you used is TrailHawk. That vehicle is totally different than the standard GC. If I remember correctly the V8 Hemi GC Trailhawk has a tow rating of 7500 lbs. It will handle any bass boat and not beat you up with a harsh ride doing it. If it has the electronic traction control package it has 4 wheel anti-slip that also includes trailer anti-sway technology. It can apply power and brake to each wheel independent to maintain vehicle control. It has an intelligent 4 wheel drive system that rivals anything Range Rover ever produced. And if it has the air suspension system it will self level for tongue weight.
    Last edited by Skeeterbait; 08-16-2019 at 01:17 PM.

4. Member
    Out tow any older half ton pickup. E brakes is a plus

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    It will tow like a monster. The key word you used is TrailHawk. That vehicle is totally different than the standard GC. If I remember correctly the V8 Hemi GC Trailhawk has a tow rating of 7500 lbs. It will handle any bass boat and not beat you up with a harsh ride doing it. If it has the electronic traction control package it has 4 wheel anti-slip that also includes trailer anti-sway technology. It can apply power and brake to each wheel independent to maintain vehicle control. It has an intelligent 4 wheel drive system that rivals anything Range Rover ever produced. And if it has the air suspension system it will self level for tongue weight.
    Thanks for the info. The jeep website says that with the right package, its max towing capacity is 7200 lbs

6. Banned
    For the price buy a Mercedes diesel ml350d tows better drives better....I switched to an F150 cause of price but the 4 I had before retirement were a dream and tow better than any pickup truck

7. Member
    I have a Triton Tr21 with 250 on the back and had a new 2017 Dodge Durango R/T... Pulled it without any problems and surge brakes helped with stopping just fine... The biggest complaint that I had and why I got rid of the Durango a year later because it was so noisy inside the Durango when towing I couldn't stand it anymore and went back to a 2016 Silverado. Seemed like every bump the trailer went over, it was amplified into the Durango.
    Last edited by Cabela10; 08-17-2019 at 12:48 PM.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabela10 View Post
    I have a Triton Tr21 with 250 on the back and had a new 2017 Dodge Durango R/T... Pulled it without any problems and surge brakes helped with stopping just fine... The biggest complaint that I had and why I got rid of the Durango a year later because it was so noisy instead the truck when towing I couldn't stand it anymore and went back to a 2016 Silverado. Seemed like every bump the trailer went over, it was amplified into the Durango.
    I actually tow my Tr-21 with a 2015 GC Limited 4x4 V6. Tows good, even going over a mountain or 2 I average 15mpg or better. My only complaint is the same as yours, it's loud as crap in the cabin. Towed it with my dad's 2017 Dodge 2500 Cummins and zero trailer noise in the cabin. I'll be going back to a body-on-frame for my next tow vehicle. Probably a Yukon.
    1997 Triton Tr-21
    1999 Johnson 225HO

9. Member
    Good info. I never thought about frame type.

Quote Originally Posted by GaBass21 View Post
    I actually tow my Tr-21 with a 2015 GC Limited 4x4 V6. Tows good, even going over a mountain or 2 I average 15mpg or better. My only complaint is the same as yours, it's loud as crap in the cabin. Towed it with my dad's 2017 Dodge 2500 Cummins and zero trailer noise in the cabin. I'll be going back to a body-on-frame for my next tow vehicle. Probably a Yukon.

What I think the noise is, is the draw bar rattling in the receiver. There are devices to eliminate that rattle. I use one and have no noise problem when towing with Wife's Cherokee. Her 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite tows my 2900 lb Ranger Aluminum better than my 02 Dakota Quad Cab V8. And using a device to eliminate rattle in the receiver I hear no trailer noise in the vehicle.

11. Member
    Skeeterbait, I wasn't interested in purchasing more items just to tow a boat. For me, I'm past the Durango and back to using a truck. Loved the Durango though as a stand alone vehicle.

Good the jeeps can tow a lot , they can tow a wrecker around behind them because it will come in handy soon .

13. Member
    I have an '19 JGC Trail Hawk with 5.7l. Had two Overland versions with EcoDiesel before it. Both certainly towed well but both were problematic. I wanted to like that little diesel, but it let me down, not reliable for me. The hemi is pretty rock solid at this point in it's production cycle. Tows great, you'd be happy. Especially with the ZF 8spd, the platform altogether is a great package, everything works well together.

The Trail Hawk is usually spec'd similar to an Overland - just doesn't have the leather dash (which may peel or bubble over time....) and doesn't have the exterior chrome, cosmetics are different. The brakes are really good - you get the HD brake package with the hemi and tow package. After having had a series of Grand Cherokees with the air suspension, I have not had a single issue with it, and I'd you tow, the self leveling aspect of it is something you will not ever want to do without. Works really well.

Economy/ MPG is what it is, it's a hemi. Just my experience, But I'd recommend it.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    What I think the noise is, is the draw bar rattling in the receiver. There are devices to eliminate that rattle. I use one and have no noise problem when towing with Wife's Cherokee. Her 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite tows my 2900 lb Ranger Aluminum better than my 02 Dakota Quad Cab V8. And using a device to eliminate rattle in the receiver I hear no trailer noise in the vehicle.
    I use this, zero rattle from the receiver in the hitch, highly recommended.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Anti-...er/RM-061.html
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

15. Member
    There is a 2018 for sale locally for 79k, yes 79k for a Jeep.

16. Member
    I would tow with an extended cab pick up with 200hp waaaaay before I would tow with a 400hp Jeep. Long wheel base .......... there is no substitute.

17. Member
    I tow with a Jeep Overland. 21 foot boat with a 250. This is my 2nd Jeep Overland (8cyl Hemi). Before the Jeep I had F-150 and Chev Avalanche. The Jeep tows better than both my previous vehicles. I was worried about the switch when I did it but was tired of driving around such a big truck when I wasn't towing.

Tow ratings are on vehicles for a reason. Stay within 75% on tow ratings and you will always have an easy tow. In fact you will enjoy towing with shorter wheelbase for the maneuverability.

19. Member
    I tow with a 2014 Dodge Durango sxt v6. Capacity is right around 6200lbs and pulls like a dream. Usually get 19-21 mpg towing highways and 18-19mpg towing on the thruway at 70mph. The Durango and a GC are essentially the same vehicle. Same motor, transmission, frame, the Durango has a longer body.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

20. Member
    Skeeterbait- Do you have a link to the device you are talking about to eliminate the noise from the reciever? FYI- Wife has a 17' V6 Trailhawk G.C. and it pulls like a dream. (Just a tad noisy)

Thanks!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast