Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    This one seems to:

stringers.JPG

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    didn't these old Winner boats have fiberglass stringers? Best I can remember that was their selling pitch
    Yes they were fiberglass. The cap and transom are fiberglassed together under the aluminum strip. Chain saw works well, just use caution that you dont blow thru the finished side of the transom.. Saw jaw is a nightmare to use.

3. Member
    Not sure when it started. The sales literature with my '89 advertised all fiberglass transom and grillage.

4. Member
    The transom core is wood for sure.

Any thoughts on actually converting this boat to a center console flats boat? I've done some research and it looks amazing. Plus I can take it in saltwater flats/bay with no issues.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    didn't these old Winner boats have fiberglass stringers? Best I can remember that was their selling pitch
    From what I have been told they do. I also have been told that Ranger didnt like it and sued them and ultimately Winner was no more... but dont quote me on that.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Cool! Do you have any pictures? Might give me some ideas.
    I do! I wish I had done some things differently, definitely took the time for more storage, but I was in college and money was sparse and I didnt have the skills I have now. Here are some pictures I could find. I did add a radio, love it.
    Chem and Toby Keith Concert 079.JPG May 25th 2012 080.JPGMay 25th 2012 086.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    What if I cut higher up along the entire boat like this where the red line is:
    Attachment 374266

That would still be repairable fairly easily right? At least that way I can get underneath and get the rest out.
    I'm afraid if you went this route you would end up regretting it. Plus, if there are straps fiberglassed in between the top cap and hull which is holding you up, you still wouldn't get the top cap off. I am enjoying your updates, however, and look forward to seeing you get it done. Keep up the hard work!
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

8. Member
    Arron, Did I see the rub rail still attached in one of the photos?? If so you will find screws thru the cap and into the hull , under the rub rail.. DONT cut where the red line is marked. You will regret it. Area in the transom under the aluminum strip will be full of fiberglass, for mounting the engine.
    Next best thing to do is use a 4" razor blade scraper and remove all the carpet looking for any additional screws. Only thing holding the cap and hull together should be at the transom and under the rub rail. It might take some pry bars but that's a shoe box mold and that's where they fasten both half together. Now they might have used putty to smooth the flange that's on the floor, but that's about it.

If you remove the floor use caution of how close you get to the outer area. The floor is just set on the hull. Look under the boat and look where the outer edge (reverse chine) towards the 1st stringer is at. This is what your floor is sitting on.
    Last edited by brushsjigs; 08-28-2019 at 11:30 AM.

9. Member
    I went out over the weekend and tried again. I cannot get the cap to release from the bow. It must be tagged or epoxied on to the hull somewhere. If I cur along the red line all the way around, I can just put in a flat floor, center console with live well, and supports in the front to convert it to a flats boat can't I? I don't see there being structural issues with that, but then again, my first boat.

10. Member
    What about cutting along the red line in these 2 pictures, leaving the deck intact? It is pretty solid. So is the live well.
    cutting.jpg

cutting1.jpg

Just cut out the molded pieces. I might even be able to re-use the console after patching it up.

I want to have something like this. Probably a different seat idea, and a cooler/seat in front of the console:

idea.jpg

Thoughts? Concerns?

11. Member
    I looked through your pictures and others may know better but just a suggestion. Maybe if you cut the foam out it will release, maybe a chemical will soften or dissolve the foam to get the cap to separate enough to see if that is the ticket.

I have a WINNER Tournament 2 in pretty good condition, curious how this post progresses. Don't give up, we're pulling for ya!
    (SOLD) 88 WINNER Tournament 2000
    Mercury XR6 150 6"JP 25p Tempest 61mph loaded
    Minn Kota Maxxum 80 - Humminbird 899/858

I just wanna fish....

12. Member
    Thanks man!

I did some cutting today, and let me tell you...they built these boats like tanks. Check this out:

consolebowcut.JPG
    consolesterncut.JPG
    rodlockercut.JPG

If you look closely you'll see plywood fiberglassed to the cap. I was burning the wood cutting it with the metal cutting wheel on the angle grinder. I am going to have to cut the top all the way back because where the seats are must also have plywood behind it. Sturdy as hell!

Hope to make some progress today, but with the hurricane coming, the weather may not permit it.

13. Member
    I'm cringing thinking of what you are going through saving this boat. When I installed a trolling pedal tray in the front of my WINNER there was A LOT of foam that needed cut out before it could fit correctly. I also remember burning up 2 jig saw blades cutting into the 7/8" floor (3/4" ply with glass on both sides), I still might have some pictures somewhere I can upload for reference.

I just wanna fish....

14. Member
    Yeah. That front deck is SOLID. I am trying to avoid cutting it out just to redo it. I wanted to get some more work done today, but the weather is still crappy even though the hurricane isn't going to hit us.

I'll hopefully have time during the week or on the weekend to continue. I'll post pictures when I do.

15. Member
    WOW! I had an easy job!!

16. Member
    More progress pics. I destroyed the cap taking it off, but I'm not going to reuse it anyway. Progress so far:

capcut1.JPG

Capcut2.JPG

Capcut3.JPG

Ultimately I want to make it similar to this:

boatgoal.JPG

17. Member
    so what all was holding it together?

I just wanna fish....

18. Member
    The front platform was glued to the top of the live well. If you look, you can see the thick bead of glue on it. I had to use a sledge hammer and a crow bar to pry it off. That cap was never coming off.

19. Member
    Faust - do you have any plans of glueing the new cap on? Or just screwing/riveting to the hull? So you don't go through this again .

20. Member
    Everything for the new build is going to be fiberglassed in. I don't really see a way around that. I have the floor pretty much figured out, but how to attach the gunwales (wide enough to walk on) and the knees for support of said gunwale I'm still trying to figure out.

Once I clean out the rest of the boat, I'm taking it off of the trailer and fixing the keel as there is a little damage there. I might as well paint it while it's off too, and also restore the trailer. Makes sense to do that all at the same time.

After that I'll start working on the inside. As long as the funds are availble, the build should really take off once the inside is clean.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast