Hot foot mounting screws or bolts 393V

Getting ready to put a hot foot in my 89 393V as part of a restoration just wondering on screw or bolt size as in how long. hard to tell how thick the floor is

2. Member
    When I put a Hotfoot in my 462, I called Ranger and ask for guidance to avoid screws thru the hull. Tech guy told me to screw a piece of plywood to the deck and attach the Hotfoot to that. I got a piece of 3/4" exterior plywood, gave it several coats of latex house paint for waterproofing. Got some flathead SS screws, probably 3/4 or 1" long (lota yrs ago) and used some construction adhesive and screwed the plywood to the bare deck where I cut the carpet. Take your floor drain cover off and measure the deck thickness; plus countersink the screws. For the screws on the stbd (right) side, you could drill a small pilot hole thru the floor and stick a drill bit or rod into it to get an idea how deep you can go before hitting the hull.

3. Member
    I peeled back the carpet, glassed in a piece of plywood under the carpet and re-glued carpet down. Screwed the Hot Foot to the plywood. I've got a 361V and there is not much room (too little for my comfort) to screw the hot foot directly to the deck on the stbd side.

Good luck
    A fisherman is a jerk on one end of the line
    ~~~~ waiting for a jerk on the other ~~~~

2007 Triton TR21XHP
    2006 Mercury 250 Optimax Pro XS

4. Member
    Great details thanks for the info

When I faced that situation several years ago I used a piece of rectangular aluminum plate. Bolted the hotfoot to the right end of the plate and screwed the left end of the plate to the floor where I knew there was enough clearance. i have seen several other boats over the years done the same way.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

6. Member
    Thanks for all the great tips bbc saves the day.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger519VS View Post
    When I faced that situation several years ago I used a piece of rectangular aluminum plate. Bolted the hotfoot to the right end of the plate and screwed the left end of the plate to the floor where I knew there was enough clearance. i have seen several other boats over the years done the same way.
    thats how mine is done also

8. Member
    Did you take pictures by chance, and what engine do you have? I have a 1990 393v w/Yamaha 200 that I'm ordering the Hot Foot/cable for this week.

9. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Getting ready to install a hotfoot in my 391V, so I was wondering the same thing. Good info here.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

I was nervous and didn't drill into the floor to mount my hotfoot on my 300 series. I carpeted a piece of 3/4 in sealed plywood and used an 8" steel shelf bracket that screwed to the plywood then bolted it through the rod locker. Been there for 25 years.