Running wire made a little easier

I was having trouble running a transducer wire from the transom up to the steering wheel area. Without a wire to attach it to and pull it thru I was struggling. 2003 Stratos is the most difficult boat I have ever tried to run wires in. There is no straight run to the back. The wires have to go in thru the sidewall and then make a 90 degree turn to the back. I went to home depot and bought a 10 ft length of the grey 3/4 in conduit. I laid along side the boat to approximate distance to where the wire would come out and left maybe a foot extra. I cut it and it was flexible enuf for me to push it up along the side of the boat to where i needed the wire to come out the access hole. Now i have an access to run other wires if needed for future add ons.0816190935.jpg

2. Member
    Great idea! I have a 2004 Stratos 195 ProXL and have pulled numerous cables etc. in that boat over the years and it is a bitch of a job.

3. Member
    Ironically I found my Champion has something like that glassed into the top cap on both sides. Having only owned a boat for a couple years, I figured that was standard procedure. Guess not. Good on ya.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

4. Member
    When you succeed in running a new wire attach a string or another extra wire to it just in case, then you're ready if you need to upgrade. Always leave a spare in there to pull one through.

Old fiberglass fishing pole has worked wonders for me over the years.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

When I struggled with mine I went to the bicycle section at Walmart and bought safety flag. It's a flexible white fiberglass rod about 6 feet long with an orange flag on it that attaches to the bike so cars can see the bike as they approach it. Cut the flag off, removed the clip on the other end and taped my wires to it and snaked them through. Used that rod many times so far, it's perfect for the job and well worth 3 bucks.

7. Member
    Harbor freight has sectioned fiberglass rods that you can make to any length which is perfect for running wires....

8. Member
    Plus one on the Harbor Freight fiberglass rods for you can make them any length and be sure and run a string or I use the old transducer cable (I cut the transducer off) to pull wires or whatever you need later and it is a much easier job.

Quote Originally Posted by BSSCT98 View Post
    Plus one on the Harbor Freight fiberglass rods for you can make them any length and be sure and run a string or I use the old transducer cable (I cut the transducer off) to pull wires or whatever you need later and it is a much easier job.
    This worked wonders!

10. Member
    I just use a fish tape .

I use an old metal hanger works great
    Pat Leach

USAF MSgt Retired

1992 Procraft 180 Pro
    2016 Mercury 150 Four Stroke
    2018 Minn Kota Ulterra
    Helix 7 SI/GPS
    Helix 7 Sonar/GPS