shot size for pheasants?

What shot size do you like to use for those ring necks in South Dakota? I'll be taking a 12 gauge O/U, a sweet sixteen and a 20 gauge SXS.
    Thanks!

2. Member
    I've been very happy with Prairie Storm 4's and 5's. Be advised any public hunting land up there requires steel shot.

I settled on #5 shot for pheasant back when I did a lot of upland bird hunting. Several of the guys I hunted with used 6 and 7 1/2 shot, which proved ineffective on birds that flushed further out. If the birds are holding tight, smaller shot will work. I prefer to plan for the worst case scenario, especially if making a long drive to bird hunt.

I always took a variety of choke tubes as well, in order to better tailor my shot delivery for the distance the birds were flushing.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

4. Member
    Fiocchi Golden Pheasant #5 is what I like to shoot.

I haven't shot many but when I hit them with #5s they died.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

6. Member
    Thanks for responding. What I'm looking for is shot size such as 1 oz, 1 1/4, etc. Or doesn't it matter for pheasants.

7. Member
    Length of shell is going to determine ounces of shot available in the load. Assuming you are using using a 2 3/4" shell, then 1 oz. for the 20 gauge and 1 1/4 oz. for the 12 gauge are typical off the shelf pheasant loads. I have reloaded shells slightly heavier, in drams equiv., for both those gauges to use on pheasant using lead shot. Heavier loads will be available, again in drams equiv., with the same oz. of shot. Those shells will show an increased speed in fps. Never owned a 16 ga. so I'm not really familiar with those loads.

8. Member
    three inch Heavy Steel #4s its fast and it kills!! Oh. and IC. and Mod. Wiredog

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSComanche View Post
    I've been very happy with Prairie Storm 4's and 5's. Be advised any public hunting land up there requires steel shot.
    I agree 100% prairie storm 2 3/4 5shot are 1500fps. It is more about fast shells for me. I wouldn’t shoot anything slower

Also, I think unless you are hunting pen raised birds you are a lot better off with a 12ga than a 16 or a 20. To many high fast birds on a South Dakota pheasants drive.

Have fun! I look forward to Pheasant hunting in South Dakota all year long!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeSF View Post
    Thanks for responding. What I'm looking for is shot size such as 1 oz, 1 1/4, etc. Or doesn't it matter for pheasants.
    That is not shot size. Shot size is what you got in the previous answers, #4, #5, etc. You are asking about shot weight and in that regard I would go with 1 1/4 oz in a 12 ga.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

11. Member
    Always have used 1 1/4 dram #6 Winchester Pheasant loads, never a problem taking them down. If the birds were running or flushing long either don't shoot or change out the choke tube if the gun is equipped with one.

Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    Always have used 1 1/4 dram #6 Winchester Pheasant loads, never a problem taking them down. If the birds were running or flushing long either don't shoot or change out the choke tube if the gun is equipped with one.
    I think you mean 1 1/4 oz. Dram is an outdated term referring to the powder charge.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

14. Member
    Thanks for all the replies. My apologies for using the wrong terminology for the info I was seeking. The weight of the shot was my question. Headed to Henry South Dakota for the first week in Nov. I'm excited about the trip. This will be my dog's first time on pheasants. Even if she doesn't perform well I"m still going to enjoy taking her on the hunt.

Thanks for all the replies. My apologies for using the wrong terminology for the info I was seeking. The weight of the shot was my question. Headed to Henry South Dakota for the first week in Nov. I'm excited about the trip. This will be my dog's first time on pheasants. Even if she doesn't perform well I"m still going to enjoy taking her on the hunt.
    Very cool. I want to make that trip as well. I think you have some game farms around you, pretty sure there is one up near Benton or Draffenville or somewhere. Might be worth it to take her once or twice just to let her see what it is all about.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

16. Member
    Thanks for all the replies. My apologies for using the wrong terminology for the info I was seeking. The weight of the shot was my question.
    I'm a reloader, so made custom shells for pheasant hunting when I lived up north. I shot an over/under, which gives you quite a bit of versatility. Early season, I'd shoot 1 1/4oz loads with Improved Mod choke in the first barrel, Mod choke in the 2nd. As the season progressed, I'd go to heavier loads in both barrels and tighter chokes, but never more than 1 1/2oz. Windy days too, as the birds tend to flush wild more when the wind is up.
    John

17. Member
    I can run into and do run into pheasant and quail both. All I shoot is AA 8 in a improved cyl. But I shoot fairly quick and know my limitations. If went to hunt just roosters Id probably shoot a improved mod thats the only thing Id change. I figure if youre in the middle of your target its going to die.