Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bank acct hacked / Ireland trip

Well for the very first time my checking account was compromised. I was headed to the airport in Shannon Ireland and stopped to get a coffee (late night early morning drinking Guinness with my new friends). My debit card was declined. I notified my bank prior to coming over to Ireland and they took great care of me by stopping it before they took any money (Thank you PNC). They got me back up and running so I could buy my friends some duty free Irish Whiskey (Cork Whiskey Bourbon Cask) from the town of Cask Ireland. Everyone I met in Ireland were some of the nicest most gracious people. Thankful I will be able to come back here very soon as we have partnered with a new company. Guinness doesn’t even come close in the states compared to how it tastes here in Ireland. It’s all I had while I was here. Great trip and new friendships made!

2. Member
    Sometimes they stop transactions on your account just because there is activity far away from the usual places. Even though you "tell" them you are on a trip.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badbaggerHD View Post
    Well for the very first time my checking account was compromised. I was headed to the airport in Shannon Ireland and stopped to get a coffee (late night early morning drinking Guinness with my new friends). My debit card was declined. I notified my bank prior to coming over to Ireland and they took great care of me by stopping it before they took any money (Thank you PNC). They got me back up and running so I could buy my friends some duty free Irish Whiskey (Cork Whiskey Bourbon Cask) from the town of Cask Ireland. Everyone I met in Ireland were some of the nicest most gracious people. Thankful I will be able to come back here very soon as we have partnered with a new company. Guinness doesn’t even come close in the states compared to how it tastes here in Ireland. It’s all I had while I was here. Great trip and new friendships made!
    Most Likely it’s your debit card that was compromised not your actual bank account. Congratulations on a great trip.

traveling in the states and had mine frozen, the distance and time between two locations were suspicious, called bank and cleared up pretty quickly, they have also called me in regard to strange charges on a Saturday morning, i think they are pretty diligent at my bank and i truly appreciate it...
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

5. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    My debit card was skimmed at a gas station by my house end of last year, found out because PNC caught the odd charges and blocked them. After they called me just stopped at the branch, confirmed all charges as good or bad. They printed a new card and I was out the door in 15 minutes. Could not have been easier, PNC was great.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

Glad things worked out in all aspects of your trip.
    97 Stratos 288
    175 Evenrude Intruder
    Humminbird electronics
    Garmin electronics
    Fortrex112
    2012 Ford Lariat 250

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmanwinter View Post
    Glad things worked out in all aspects of your trip.
    +1

8. Banned
    Yup, nothing like drinking the Mother's Milk Of Ireland in it homeland... Dan

9. Banned
    "May the wind be at Your back...."

Let me know when/if You go back IF You get the time to go by any Golf Courses They usually have the best rain gear available at real good prices. I got GoreTex™ caps in Scotland for $11 USD..

Good thing Guinness tastes better over seas because it is sucks in the U S . Its very trendy and it apparently makes you cool drinking it if you can keep from spitting it out .

Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    Good thing Guinness tastes better over seas because it is sucks in the U S . Its very trendy and it apparently makes you cool drinking it if you can keep from spitting it out .
    My thought exactly.

This was an ongoing nightmare for me. If you, or anyone else here is or has been a govt. employee, I recommend you contact the United States Office of Personnel Management (OPM). They can determine if you were affected by the data breach from 2015. If so, they will send you a 25 digit pin code that will allow for free monitoring services. It works!

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    You're not supposed to drink a case of Guinness like you do Keystone Light

14. Member
    This is the exact reason I only use my credit card for all purchases. Zero access to my bank account.

Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    Now you tell me .

BadBagger, I'm glad you had such an awesome time!

Quote Originally Posted by stratos224 View Post
    This is the exact reason I only use my credit card for all purchases. Zero access to my bank account.
    I also switched to using credit cards instead of debit cards after my card was "skimmed" and someone drained my account, well except for the $.38 they left me
    I have also changed my login credentials for all banking related websites after reading about all of the data breaches I was part of, I'm not taking any chances.

I have PNC and I set a limit that I get notifications if I go over.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    I could live on the stuff... Dan

I carried two credit cards, one BECU and one US Bank, both Visa, both credit not debit. My BECU got hacked somehow, and they caught three charges, starting in Texas. The US Bank card had never been used, so when I tried to use it, they rejected it as being old or something. So in one week, I had to get two new credit cards. Neither offered walk-in service for a new card, and I needed a card to rent a cement mixer, so it was a cluster. Had some cash on hand, and the wife had to go with me to rent the cement mixer. Perhaps the interesting thing is that it was right after using my CC to buy a McBurger for the very first time...usually pay cash, per BBC requirements!

Previous experience with BECU, they froze my CC as I was trying to exit Edmonton and head for the border. I didn't notify them I was going; didn't think it was that big a deal; had been there before and the card worked for a week on the way up there and while there...just not when trying to leave! That could have been ugly, but I used the US Bank card to buy gas a couple of times and got back into the Okanogan...where the BECU card suddenly started working again. Puzzling. I would expect that a trail of charges over the week, from home to and around Eddie would have tipped them off that it was still me. I'm kinda tempted to go back to that same McD's and use one of my new cards, to see if that was the place it got GOT. I walked in, no drive-through for me!
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

20. Member
    I use a prepaid card for all my hobby spending (tackle, boat stuff, etc.). Keeps my bills money separate. Had that card get skimmed at a gas station right after I made a large deposit on it. They took $700+ from me. It took a couple weeks but they gave me my money back after the video from the ATM where the money was withdrawn came back with someone who obviously wasn't me.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast