Safety requirements in MI?

I searched but couldn't really find specifics.

What safety equipment am I required to have in my boat in MI? I currently have automatic vest for each boater, I have a throw preserver and have fire extinguisher.

Am I required to have flare gun or radio? or anything else?

Thanks,

Robert

2. Member
    Are you fishing inland lakes or Coast Guard lakes? I believe that makes a difference.

3. Member

Just know that the automatic vests do not meet coast guard regulations unless it is being worn the entire time.

5. Member
    If you are on Great Lakes waters make sure your throwable is insight..... As the CG was giving me a warning last Saturday he explained that's what "readally accessible" means to them....

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Late Bite View Post
    If you are on Great Lakes waters make sure your throwable is insight..... As the CG was giving me a warning last Saturday he explained that's what "readally accessible" means to them....
    yep, when we get to the launch and get the boat ready, we pull the throwable out and leave it out until we return to the launch.

Boat requirements for LSC:
    * Flares – 3 handheld red flares for us, 6 for Ontario: type A, B, or C.
    * Whistle
    * Air Horn
    * Life jackets (inflatables only count when being worn)
    * Throw-able life preserver (buoyant cushion suffices) – for Ontario must be attached to a buoyant line at least 15 m (49’3”) long
    * Fire Extinguisher (One (1) 5BC fire extinguisher)
    * Watertight flashlight (Must be marked with an indication that it meets U S Coast Guard requirements in 46 CFR 161 01 – required in Ontario waters)
    * For Ontario - One (1) manual propelling device OR One (1) anchor and at least 15 m (49’3”) of cable, rope or chain in any combination

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    Boat requirements for LSC:
    * Flares – 3 handheld red flares for us, 6 for Ontario: type A, B, or C.
    * Whistle
    * Air Horn
    * Life jackets (inflatables only count when being worn)
    * Throw-able life preserver (buoyant cushion suffices) – for Ontario must be attached to a buoyant line at least 15 m (49’3”) long
    * Fire Extinguisher (One (1) 5BC fire extinguisher)
    * Watertight flashlight (Must be marked with an indication that it meets U S Coast Guard requirements in 46 CFR 161 01 – required in Ontario waters)
    * For Ontario - One (1) manual propelling device OR One (1) anchor and at least 15 m (49’3”) of cable, rope or chain in any combination
    Thanks. Looks like I got some shopping to do.