Vault Hubs service question

The last few months we have had numerous questions about changing Vault hubs to normal grease, instead of the thixotropic grease that turns to liquid when moving. Well, Dexter staff was in this week and we visited on this topic.

There is nothing necessary and we suggest hand packing the wheel bearings with red Valvoline grease and reassembling. The front seals in a Vault are tighter tolerance than Bearing Buddies and the rear seal is identical.

You just hand pack and reassemble.

2. Member
    Nice to know
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

3. Member
    Don't know if its already there, this would be great in the FAQ section.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

4. Member
    Just to confirm this info, I had a badly leaking seal 300 miles from home about 2 years ago. Called Dexter/UFP and actually spoke to one of the engineers at length about the Vault hub system. Instructed me to tap out the Vault hub, insert a zerk fitting in to the drilled spindle and s-l-o-w-l-y fill with Lucas Red and Tacky and not blow out the rear seal. Finish filling and push out the original grease, remove the zerk fitting. Fill the Vault cap with Lucas Red, re-insert the Vault cap and it would be good to go. Asked "How long can I run like this"? Answer "As long as I wanted to." No need to ever change back to the Vault grease. The Vault grease and Lucas are compatible. Same with the Pennzoil Red.

5. Member
    When should you start worrying about changing the grease on the vault hubs? Mine are two years old and I would guess 12,000 to 15,000 miles on them.

What is the motivation for changing over to grease? I've been running the vault hubs for almost 7 years and they've been flawless (~12K miles per year).
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

7. Member
    No reason to change to grease unless the rear seal starts leaking.