150 Pro XS Cowl Removal

I am having a difficult time figuring out how to get the cowl/cover off of my 150 pro xs 4 stroke. I have tried unlatching and pushing towards the front. Tilting the cover and pushing towards the front and cannot get it to come up clipped on the front. I have had Yamahas in the past with no issue getting the cowl off. What am I missing here?

2. Member
    Lol...its the truck hood like closings that i had trouble figuring

3. Member
    Should just unlatch in the back and then straight up, no tilting.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

My 150-4S is 7 years old and the cowl has been removed dozens of times it is a tight seal which is good but it is still hard to get the cover off . I pop the latch and push up at the handhold near the top rear once it comes loose I use a small ladder and lift off straight up using the front and rear handholds.

Tournament-Fishing \"It\'s not a question of if you will be humbled but how many times\"

6. Member
    I have a 2018 150 Pro XS and had the same issue. I learned that I have to pull the latch and push up on the rear handle very hard to break the seal, then lift straight up. The release latch moves very little and the cowl seal is very tight. Thought I was going to break something the first time I tried it because its so tight.
    2000 TR186
    2018 150 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    6in jack plate-24" Fury3

Turns out there’s a recall on some of the cowls and they replaced mine under warranty

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinisterj View Post
    Turns out there’s a recall on some of the cowls and they replaced mine under warranty
    Currently no active recall- but they would definitely address any defect on a case-by-case basis (as is the case with any defect in an engine that's under warranty).

For those of you having difficulties- it's a good idea to spray some silicone spray onto a rag, and wipe it onto the seal all the way around. The seal is intentionally snug- and without a little conditioning/lubrication, it can be VERY tight the first few times the cowling comes off.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Currently no active recall- but they would definitely address any defect on a case-by-case basis (as is the case with any defect in an engine that's under warranty).

For those of you having difficulties- it's a good idea to spray some silicone spray onto a rag, and wipe it onto the seal all the way around. The seal is intentionally snug- and without a little conditioning/lubrication, it can be VERY tight the first few times the cowling comes off.
    This is a good tip for any similar seal. I do it on my vehicles, my outboard, the hatch seals on my boat. Keeps them nice and supple and as Don says, eliminates sticking
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

10. Member
    The first time I tried to remove my cowl on my 250xs I thought I was going to break something for sure. The silicone works great and I never had another problem with it after that.