Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Derek McCullough
    Quote Originally Posted by BASStex1988 View Post
    The fxr isn’t a bad looking boat but the build quality and customer service would have me steer clear of a skeeter.
    I am on my second new Skeeter and had a few warranty issues and Skeeter went above and beyond to correct the issue, sometimes I think the stories you read here are the type of people who have a problem with everything they buy,

Quote Originally Posted by BASStex1988 View Post
    Min not sure what direction you’re trying to go with you’re comment. But good luck to you. And as far as the dealer comment. Yes a dealer should take care of you and back the customer. But at the end of the day if it’s BOAT issues it’s a SKEETER issue. The dealer is a middleman to help resolve. But it’s up to skeeter to right the wrong not the dealer.

I'm going in the direction from firsthand experience with different boats t ggv at Skeeter has stepped up and made things right. For myself and many others I know. I am also saying there is a 1% of the customer base that simply cannot be made happy. It is what it is. My direct experience has been that if you buy through a good dealer that understands customer service then should an issue come up they will fix it. If its above their scope then they go to bat for you with Skeeter. Dealers want repeat customers so a good dealer realizes that.

We got so far off the FXR subject. Chances are you are never gonna buy one since you are not a Skeeter fan so most readers probably will take it with a grain of salt. The FXR is sharp and hope they sell a ton and hope you get a lot of use and reliability in the brand you chose.

3. Member
    This conversation is hilarious, if you have a problem with your new Ford or Chevrolet you don’t go to Detroit, your dealer takes care of you. Same thing with boats. Find a new dealer if you are experiencing customer service issues. I have an excellent Skeeter dealer just a few miles from my house, why would I ever want to deal with a stranger 1,000 miles away in Kilgore Texas?
    Last edited by Hydro870; 08-20-2019 at 09:53 PM.

4. Member
    Back on track here......Skeeter is going to sell a pile of FXR boats in my opinion.

5. Member
    I finally saw one in person this weekend. The dealer also carries Phoenix boats so I got to compare them side by side. Here’s my initial observations, good and bad. As I stated in the original post, I currently have an 18’ 921xp. The front deck on the fxr21 is wider. There’s a ton of room upfront. The front noise is wider and reminds me of the Champion 210 front noise. They made the gunnels slightly higher on the fxr, which I like. It appears to be a compromise between the high gunnel Phoenix and the 19 model fx. I think it’s high enough to keep a rod from getting kicked out but low enough to have the skeeter pitch and flip advantage. The single rod tube is too small in my opinion. They could have made it a lot larger. If you are a diehard rod sleeve guy I think it will work but if you don’t religiously use them I think rod guides will get hung up on each other. Unfortunately, the single tube wall is fiberglassed into the boat so you can’t remove it like the older style tubes to get a wider open area. It’s something I’d definitely want to experiment with before buying. I really like the front deck layout. The phx and the fxr have the same layout but the skeeter allows you to see the rod handles under the day box where the phx is a solid day box compartment. I think the phx day box also shortens the length of rods that can be stored on that side. One of the most noticeable differences is the front deck pad. On the Phoenix it’s only padded on the small section in front of the rod boxes. The fxr is padded on the entire front deck. It’s a huge difference in comfort. In addition, the Phoenix is known to be a squeaky front deck when you walk on it. The skeeter was solid and doesn’t make a noise. I have a 921xp and my lids were driving me crazy so I installed the foam trim around each lid. The 19’ 921phx I was comparing the fxr to was extremely squeaky on the bigger center box. It was the first thing my girlfriend noticed.
    Console back-
    First thing that caught my eye on the new skeeter was the “white wax” that was all over the boat. It was really noticeable on the console black, aluminum parts. In my opinion, it shouldn’t leave the factory looking like that. I think someone should do a thorough clean of the boat before it leaves the factory. I’ve heard this is common amongst a lot of the manufacturers, but to me, it’s not acceptable. The new seats are very comfortable and wide. I think the Phoenix seats hug you a little more. The dash on the fxr has a great layout. The gauges are easy to see and placed in the right spots. The drain plug feature is awesome. I can’t stand having to climb under my Phoenix to remove the drain plug. I’ve had many mornings hitting my head on the motor climbing out from under the boat. I had the ventilation system on my 17 Phoenix 921 but not on my 18. I’d like to hear the reviews of the skeeter ventilation system. I think it definitely helps. The livewells on the skeeter seem slightly smaller on the inside dimensions compared to the Phoenix but that’s just a visual observation. I looks like an 8 plus lbr would be too long to fit but based on the huge bags weighed in by the pros, I’m guessing it’s an optical illusion. I like the darker color on the inside of the skeeter livewell and it seems like the liner is a softer material than the interior of the Phoenix. Once again, an observation. The rear storage compartments seems slightly smaller on the skeeter as well.
    The rear storage on the new fxr is awesome. I love the split lid and the raised interior floor for the batteries. I think working in the back will be a lot easier.
    One last observation. The new padding being used on the trailer steps and around the consoles shows marks way to easily. I’m thinking it will be short lived and replaced with the black rubber material they’ve used in the past. I’d like to hear other opinions. I can just tell you that foot prints and scratches across it show immediately.
    In conclusion, I think the new fxr is a bad ass boat. I’m really looking forward to going for a true rough water ride in one to see if skeeter has finally built the perfect combination of ride and fishability in one boat. I love my 921 and it will take a bad ass boat with a great ride in rough water for me to switch but I think the new fxr could be that boat. Time well tell!
    Last edited by schilling1; 08-21-2019 at 09:50 AM.

6. Member
    Does anyone know if the new FXR has more leg room than the FX? With the FX my left leg is scrunched up when resting my left foot on the foot rest. Wondering if there is now a greater distance between the seat and left foot rest on the FXR. I am tall and have not been able to purchase a Skeeter due to this issue. Phoenix and Bass Cat Lynx both fit my long legs much better than the fx.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12