2019 z20 speed issue.

I am turning a 23 pitch fury 3 at 5800 to 5900 rpm. Mercury 4 stroke 250 pro xs.No rods or equipment in front storage. Only clothes in the back boxes. Half tank of fuel, and live wells empty. 2 guys, top speed is 62.2 mph. By myself it will get up to 64.4 mph. Hydraulic Jack plate. I have have had many boats in the past. This is the worst for speed. Two others have driven it with almost identical results. Everyone I have talked to around the lake says their boats are running 69 to 74 mph fully loaded. 12.8 hours on the motor. Just had the 10 hour service done. It is back in the shop to figure it out. Help me with suggestions. Talked with another dealer about it. He said I shouldn't be able to drive it at top end without a wild ride, with the stated conditions of weight. I need help with suggestions. The other dealer suggested a 24 fury.
    Dale Johnston
    Wichita, KS
    2019 nitro z20, mercury pro xs 250 four stroke

2. Member
    u getting 15% slip. with a fury that's bad . they should run stiff. try a known good prop.
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

Yea, something is "off".... Getting 74-75mph, by myself and I have two 10ft talons on the back, also running a 23P fury.. Have them check the motor, max throttle, Prop, and Hull?

Where do you fish most of the time? Eldorado maybe??
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

Agree take it to the shop. Are you getting lift, is the nose plowing? That lower unit and prop should not see slip >5%.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

5. Member
    Grand lake.
    Dale Johnston
    Wichita, KS

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Agree take it to the shop. Are you getting lift, is the nose plowing? That lower unit and prop should not see slip >5%.
    Getting lift. No speed.
    Dale Johnston
    Wichita, KS

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wichibass View Post
    I am turning a 23 pitch fury 3 at 5800 to 5900 rpm. Mercury 4 stroke 250 pro xs.No rods or equipment in front storage. Only clothes in the back boxes. Half tank of fuel, and live wells empty. 2 guys, top speed is 62.2 mph. By myself it will get up to 64.4 mph. Hydraulic Jack plate. I have have had many boats in the past. This is the worst for speed. Two others have driven it with almost identical results. Everyone I have talked to around the lake says their boats are running 69 to 74 mph fully loaded. 12.8 hours on the motor. Just had the 10 hour service done. It is back in the shop to figure it out. Help me with suggestions. Talked with another dealer about it. He said I shouldn't be able to drive it at top end without a wild ride, with the stated conditions of weight. I need help with suggestions. The other dealer suggested a 24 fury.

Same issue with mine....have the exact same boat/motor/prop. Best I’ve seen is 69 gps and that was really pushing it..light load half tank of fuel and me(220 lbs). Not sure how these guys are getting mid 70s with this setup.

8. Member
    Most likely you have a hot foot, just for giggles you could check the stop on the pedal just to make sure you are getting full throttle. It is just a thought that I would think some would or could over look.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steinybass View Post
    Most likely you have a hot foot, just for giggles you could check the stop on the pedal just to make sure you are getting full throttle. It is just a thought that I would think some would or could over look.
    I thought of that. I relayed the info to the service guys. They drove it last week and they claim they got 68mph. I said okay if the boat was full of gas, Livewells full, and all of my equipment loaded. 68 for an empty boat is not acceptable.
    Dale Johnston
    Wichita, KS

Need to verify RPMs. My Z21 will hit 70+ By myself with 3/4 fuel.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

11. Member
    my 2019 Z20 will hit 72 mph in seconds. 24 3 blade fury . factory fixed/set jack plate. it will throw your head back coming on plane. there is more speed there but im still getting used to the way it handles. i find it easy to over trim,and gets way loose.