Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've had boat trailer tires at both Walmart and Discount Tire and never even considered removing the boat. Like OP said, "do what with it"?

Have you tried Walmart or Sam's Club? Goodyear store?
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

2. Member
    Me and all my buddies, never heard of such a thing. Do they make equipment trailers empty to replace tire?

3. Member
    If you are afraid of doing it yourself get a friend to help you and that way you don't have to worry about your physical health. I help my friends do things all the time and don't mind at all. That are what friends are for and there are times when you need help. As stated, I don't understand why a tire shop has a problem changing the tires on a trailer with the boat on it.

4. Banned
    They don't want to deal with guys coming back and claiming a "you scratched the the gelcoat" or "you got grease on the carpet" or "you put a dent in the fender"... Or... Dan

5. Member
    Never an issue with Discount tire.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    They don't want to deal with guys coming back and claiming a "you scratched the the gelcoat" or "you got grease on the carpet" or "you put a dent in the fender"... Or... Dan
    This - always somebody around to screw it up for everybody ...
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

7. Member
    I have a pretty heavy duty motorcycle lift so I just jacked it up in the garage and placed it on my jack stands last Friday and had new tires in pretty short order. Got to fish early Saturday morning and again Saturday evening. Don't know why I didn't think of it to begin with, but I guess that's why we make threads it sometimes jogs our memory or gives us ah ha moments. LOL!

I made a bonehead mistake Saturday evening that basically ruined that little trip, but a story for another time. LOL!

8. Member
    I was ask to back the boat in once, but never to take the boat off.

9. Member
    That's weird, multiple different tire shops over the years have always just used a floor jack and done mine with boat on trailer.
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

The tire shop I have done business with for 40 years does a great job. BUT when it comes to tires on my boat trailer, I raise one side, remove both tires and take them down in my truck. It’s not that the shop isn’t careful—— it is other customers. I have had my vehicles almost hit in their lot, The shop sits on the main drag and zipperheads pull in way too fast.

11. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    4 new tires put on trailer last week. Left boat on. Zero problems.

Place I bring mine to does it while the boat is on the trailer. While I'm there talking about fishing and the boat. They use a floor jack and do one side at a time. piece of cake. Last time I was there I saved an extra $10 a tire because the time before that I gave the counter guy some lures and hooks. And he caught a bunch of fish from my suggestion.
    Ranger Z-20, Yamaha F225.

13. ZO6
    Quote Originally Posted by dickenscpa View Post
    I'm in need of getting my trailer tires replaced and three local shops have requested I remove my boat. Is this common, and if so, where do you take your boat? I don't have a place to dock it and a wife and two young children who can't operate a boat.

My Dad fishes with me a bit and I tried to teach him how to just run the boat out on the water while I was getting new tires, but at his age and health that was a no go. I really need to be on the boat with him.

I do have a friend capable of driving a trailer. Should I just launch my boat and fish and ask him to take the boat trailer to the shop?
    Assuming you have a dual axle trailer...... Go to the store, make your deal, out in the parking lot drive you trailer up on 2 pieces of 2x6s 18 in long ends cut to 45 degrees. This put rear wheels off ground. Remove tires 2 at a time replace as they complete. Repeat process for remains 2 tires. Done this a couple of times. Never carry a jack but always a couple of 2x6s.

14. Member
    When I bought my boat last year, I had Discount Tire in Arlington TX replace the 10 year old tires. I pulled the boat into the parking lot and they had me park quite a ways away from the shop and they pulled their floor jack out there, pulled both wheels on one side and rolled em to the shop and put the new tires on, put the wheels back on that side and did the same on the other side. The probably rolled the tires 100 feet, but it was a simple and easy process for them.
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

15. Member
    Gateway tire here has put tires on my trailers for a long time, including the utility trailer. They use a floor jack. I don't have to remove the boat.

16. Member
    Just had mine last week at America’s tire, they had me back in close to a bay and used a floor jack. About 30 mins total.
    2005 Ranger 520DVX w/ 225 Yamaha SHO

17. Member
    Sam’s would not allow me near the bay. They said company policy is the can not change tires on a boat trailer. I had already paid for the tires and they were ordered. I changed them myself on a 100 degree day in TX. I thought I would die. The employees were very nice and let me use their equipment. Lesson learn...get price from Sam’s, go to Discount Tire for matching price, have them change, and on my way!

18. Member
    have taken the boat and trailer to discount tire in Mt Juliet for flat repair and they said nothing about removing boat. they removed tire from trailer and tire from rim to patch. bought two tires from them and no removal of boat from trailer

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dickenscpa View Post
    The local DT here in Lebanon and the one 7 miles up the road in Mt Juliet are 2 of the 3 that asked me to remove the boat. I'm in Lebanon, TN.
    The DT in Franklin just did my tires on Saturday, with the boat on the trailer, in their parking lot. There was another guy with a boat in line behind me too.

20. Member
    Apparently I caught the wrong DT employees there that day. I wound up removing them myself and took them there and it was a quick and easy process.

Actually shortly after changing those tires I sold my bass boat. You could probably tell by the gap in my posting that I had fell out of love with a boat. I did however fall in love with kayak bass fishing. I have a garage at my office so I waited until night time and rush hour was over and carried my boat to the office where I have a garage there as well.

I fully intended on keeping the boat thru Spring just to make sure but a neighbor in my office building made me an offer I couldn't refuse. My wife and I will be married 25 years in November and she hadn't been on one of my boats since 2005. Our son is 17 and hadn't been on the boat since 2006. Our daughter is 10 and never been on my boat. I bought them kayaks as well and now we all go all the time. I can tool around with them or hunker down and fish and they can tool around and I get no backlash for being gone all day.

My wife really wanted kayaks and the boat out of the garage so I go by myself a lot too and no backlash there either. I LOVE bass fishing but got so fed up with fooling with the boat I went maybe twice a year. Now I put the kayak in the truck and carry it to the office and slip in and fish on the way home more times than not. I've fished more, more different water and caught more in the last month than the last 5 years combined.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12