Exclamation DO NOT INSTALL THE NEW 19.1 IF...

You are running a Carbon unit with an HDI Skimmer. Just installed it yesterday like a fool and lost downscan. Called Lowrance, on the phone for hours and they said the ducer was bad which I had a feeling was not. Reverted back to 18.3 and guess what? Correct, downscan is back.

This is the second time I can count where a software upgrade kills a transducer. It happened to the spotlight transducer not too long ago. This is just plain sad.

2. Member
    With the "stupid" issues with updates over the last year, I've started looking at Garmin and others for my next units.

3. Member
    I have not had issue with my Carbon / HDI combination using 19.1-62.1.114, I have not tried 19.1-62.1.153.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hard2gard View Post
    You are running a Carbon unit with an HDI Skimmer. Just installed it yesterday like a fool and lost downscan. Called Lowrance, on the phone for hours and they said the ducer was bad which I had a feeling was not. Reverted back to 18.3 and guess what? Correct, downscan is back.

This is the second time I can count where a software upgrade kills a transducer. It happened to the spotlight transducer not too long ago. This is just plain sad.
    After installing 19.1, I suggest you backup WRT and Settings, then perform a "hard reset". After that import your WRT. If all is OK, then import Settings

5. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    No issues with downscan on the 4 or 5 units we have converted to 153 version...works just fine. We do a hard reset on ALL units after an upgrade and just restore the settings. Not had any issues so far... must be a polar vortex or something.

Roy

6. Member

Sounds like the same issue I had with Gen3s. 18.2 kills downscan rolled back to 7.0 and works fine. Rolled back and forth several times and many hard resets to no avail. Lowrance still has not fixed the issue, and I am not holding my breath. Unlikley at this point it will ever be fixed for Gen3 users.

FWIW, this also occurred with a spotlightscan transducer and the HDI, sounds oddly similar!! Hmmmmmmm

I know my comment does not help you being a Carbon, I just found it interesting enough to add.

Carry on!!
    Last edited by moetorola; 08-15-2019 at 03:09 PM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarrow View Post
    No issues with downscan on the 4 or 5 units we have converted to 153 version...works just fine. We do a hard reset on ALL units after an upgrade and just restore the settings. Not had any issues so far... must be a polar vortex or something.

Roy
    That is so misleading. Simply put, depending on what you have, ALL settings are not restored. I quit "saving settings" long time ago simply because restoring saved settings comes out half baked. Unless you have one hell'ov'a memory you'll end up checking every setting - 'cept for those you forget until "it" isn't working and you go chasing the rabbit down the hole - again. I was told "Autopilot isn't restored because not everyone needs autopilot". What the hell does that have to do with "SAVE SETTINGS" "RESTORE SETTINGS". Yeah.... guess you could classify this as one of my hot points!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsch View Post
    With the "stupid" issues with updates over the last year, I've started looking at Garmin and others for my next units.
    Real talk.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarrow View Post

Roy
    Did you test it specifically with an HDI 83/200 Skimmer? The new software works fine with my Totalscan at the console but zonked on the TM HDI.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moetorola View Post
    Sounds like the same issue I had with Gen3s. 18.2 kills downscan rolled back to 7.0 and works fine. Rolled back and forth several times and many hard resets to no avail. Lowrance still has not fixed the issue, and I am not holding my breath. Unlikley at this point it will ever be fixed for Gen3 users.

FWIW, this also occurred with a spotlightscan transducer and the HDI, sounds oddly similar!! Hmmmmmmm

I know my comment does not help you being a Carbon, I just found it interesting enough to add.

Carry on!!
    Believe me, I feel your pain bro. Gen 3 updates killed my spotlight ducer which is the only reason I have an HDI skimmer. They pretty much confessed they didn’t fix that issue which is why they offered spotlight scan ducers for free with any HDS purchase in 2016-17. Customers became free garbage dumps.

By the way would anybody like to buy a spotlight ducer dirt cheap?

11. Member
    You know Lowrance only has a couple of guys that do all the software, I don't think they have a large staff of programmers, at one time it was ONE.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Tracker View Post
    I have not had issue with my Carbon / HDI combination using 19.1-62.1.114, I have not tried 19.1-62.1.153.
    I ran my bow HDS-12 Carbon with 19.1-62.1.114 with a HDI 455/800 83/200[p/n 001-10976-001]. But like Hard2gard, the HDI did not work with 19.1-62.1.153. I re-installed 62.1.14 and all is working again.
    Connection is via 7-pin blue plug.
    I plan to report this Monday and if Hard2gard has a Contact Number I would like to reference it.
    Thanks all
    Last edited by LittleGazoo; 08-18-2019 at 01:15 PM.

13. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    Did you test it specifically with an HDI 83/200 Skimmer? The new software works fine with my Totalscan at the console but zonked on the TM HDI.
    yes. Almost all of our boats are running HDI on the TM. Are you on Live and running with 9 pin or Carbon with 7 pin? Or using the 7 to 9 converter on a Live? Just curious.

14. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yupitsme View Post
    That is so misleading. Simply put, depending on what you have, ALL settings are not restored. I quit "saving settings" long time ago simply because restoring saved settings comes out half baked. Unless you have one hell'ov'a memory you'll end up checking every setting - 'cept for those you forget until "it" isn't working and you go chasing the rabbit down the hole - again. I was told "Autopilot isn't restored because not everyone needs autopilot". What the hell does that have to do with "SAVE SETTINGS" "RESTORE SETTINGS". Yeah.... guess you could classify this as one of my hot points!
    We have never had one issue with restoring settings however none of our installations have used auto pilot (outside 1 or 2 of the MG gateway folks...and cannot recall any issues there). I set up 4 or 5 units every single day and sometimes double that. So if there were a major issue in the backup restore process we would have been aware of it long before it ever gets posted here.

That is not to say that the developers don’t break things inadvertently but the software is tested pretty throughly before being released. However, not every exact combination can be tested. In some cases, an operating system update can interact with the chipset (hardware) in ways that are unforeseen in some configurations.

These are computers. Nothing more, nothing less. Computers do weird things every day. No brand of electronics is immune from issues. They all test everything as much as possible before release.

If you are not using the backup/restore process as a tool, you are just doing double the work. I would hate to think I would have to set all my custom screens and overlays back up

15. Member
    Carbon 12. The HDI skimmer is a blue plug which I presume is a 7 pin?

16. Member
    I just called the main number and escalated to Senior Tech. The lady I spoke with was named Bonnie.

17. Member
    FYI, I installed the latest 19.1-62.1.153 update before heading out this weekend. Saw the same Downscan and Sidescan performance I had with the previous 19.1-61.1.114. I have SS3D version 19.1-62.1.108 installed on my SS3D module.

Actually did note some of the bugs were fixed w/ delayed loss of depth, etc.

Upgrade was painless, did the helm unit first with the Bow Unit turned off, then did the bow unit with the helm unit turned off.
    The only issue I had was that Ch 2 Sonar was switched off after the upgrade, but that was a simple fix to turn back on...

Note, I do have an HDI skimmer epoxied in my hull, but have it installed as a generic 83/200, since I don't want to use it for Downscan. I didn't try it configured as an HDI.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ3 View Post
    FYI, I installed the latest 19.1-62.1.153 update before heading out this weekend. Saw the same Downscan and Sidescan performance I had with the previous 19.1-61.1.114. I have SS3D version 19.1-62.1.108 installed on my SS3D module.
    . . .
    Note, I do have an HDI skimmer epoxied in my hull, but have it installed as a generic 83/200, since I don't want to use it for Downscan. I didn't try it configured as an HDI.
    Basically, same as my boat setup. But .153 Downscan did not work with my HDI, a dark screen with bottom barely showing with all color palletes. HDI 2D sonar was fine.

19. Member
    I also had similar behavior with HDI and Carbon with 19.1-62.1.153, just to test, I switched my down source from SS3D to the HDI and would get a few patchey blocks from time to time but mostly black, HDI still worked fine for standard 2D sonar.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S