Thread: 1648 Grizzly

1648 Grizzly

I picked up a 2019 1648 grizzly a few weeks ago. All the wiring, batteries, electronics, trolling motor, etc. are complete (I’ve actually enjoyed making it my own rig). I plan on buying 2 outboards to fish 9.9hp and 25hp restricted lakes in my area. I’m not as concerned with the 25hp, but I’m very concerned about how a 9.9hp will perform. Any thoughts? Suggestions on brand, 2 stroke vs 4 stroke? Prop and/or jackplate?

Thanks!

2. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Im not a tracker owner but congrats! As far as the motor goes I have experience and have owned a 9.9 mercury in the past but it was a 1990 model and on a 14 ft boat. It was everything I could ask for and more on that specific boat but I would think if you wanted to get up on plane you might have issues in your larger and heavier rig. Good Luck!
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

3. Member
    Thank you!

4. Member
    You are going to want to kit the 9.9 your motor regardless of what brand you buy, so do your homework and find one that can be kitted up to the next HP level. I think the Suzuki and Tohatsu 9.9's can be kitted up to an 18 with very little work. Some of the older Johnson and Mariner 9.9 2-stroke motors can be kitted up to a 15 but require pulling the head and changing the exhaust tuning.

I would look at a package deal at a Tohatsu dealer on a kitted 9.9 and a 25. You may find that you don't need the 25 at all after running the boat with the kitted 9.9.

5. Member
    Thank you. I ordered a 9.9 today with the “special part” that makes it a 20 hp.

6. Member
    Congrats I Have the same boat and have a Honda 9.9 4 stroke. It’s not a speed demon. 9 or ten Is the best I could do

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pughlaw View Post
    Thank you. I ordered a 9.9 today with the “special part” that makes it a 20 hp.
    After you get it rigged where you want it, it will be time to break it in and check out your prop. Buy one of these induction tachometers like this one https://www.amazon.com/Timorn-Replac...ateway&sr=8-10

wrap the lead around a spark plug wire and attach the meter to the motor handle with a couple of wire ties.

Run the motor and see if you are making the rpms you should be doing. Decrease the pitch of your prop if rpms are too low.