Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Apparently I Touched a Nerve with This One

Posted this yesterday and already has over 10,000 views and 70+ comments (public) including a couple from touring pros. Also got 7 phone calls yesterday from guys on one of the 3 tours saying "I can't say that publicly, but glad you did".

2. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    When I watched that yesterday I suspected you would catch a little flak and support, just wasn't sure which was going to be vocal the most.
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

3. Member
    If you think any tournament organization has ever been paid 5 Million to hold their championship, by a city or state, you are delusional.

4. Member
    Golf is watched LIVE and on a major network... those networks pay to get to cover the event and it big bucks... professional golf is much more popular than professional fishing... sponsorship money for a PGA tour event is big BIG $$$$'s

In my opinion, not a good comparison at all..... just my three cents!

5. Banned
    Never heard of you but you are quite a ways away and there are no telling how many bass fishermen/fisherwomen there are in this country now but glad to see you have views on tournaments in general. Did not watch but the first minute of the video and realized it is just another opinion. Good luck on your choices and hope we all as anglers first make smart decisions on keeping our sport alive and growing. Good luck to you and your family with the new member.

What is the ratio of payout to revenue that each event brings in (fishing events vs golf)? Are anglers claiming they should earn more? Can they justify their position? What's the economic benefit that the PGA or NFL or NBA bring? What's that ratio to what those athletes earn?

You're trying to compare anglers to the big sports leagues like the PGA. Would a more appropriate comparison be more like the pro poker players you can see on tv? Similar tv production values, similar barrier to entry for the average 'joe'.

Well done and thought out video.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

7. Member
    Triggered!!!!

Lol
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rds_nc View Post
    What is the ratio of payout to revenue that each event brings in (fishing events vs golf)? Are anglers claiming they should earn more? Can they justify their position? What's the economic benefit that the PGA or NFL or NBA bring? What's that ratio to what those athletes earn?

You're trying to compare anglers to the big sports leagues like the PGA. Would a more appropriate comparison be more like the pro poker players you can see on tv? Similar tv production values, similar barrier to entry for the average 'joe'.

Well done and thought out video.
    Comparisons of bass fishing to sports like golf crack me up. Bass fishing ain't even in the same orbit as golf. Hell bull riding smokes bass tournaments in viability, let alone golf.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    If you think any tournament organization has ever been paid 5 Million to hold their championship, by a city or state, you are delusional.
    I am curious, so am going to look into, but I think you are right. Ken, nice video, but the assumptions are pretty big.

Comparisons of bass fishing to sports like golf crack me up. Bass fishing ain't even in the same orbit as golf. Hell bull riding smokes bass tournaments in viability, let alone golf.
    Yup, easy to find the golf channel on TV. Not so much the fishing tournament channel. I know there are BBC fantasy leagues but nothing on FanDuel or Draft Kings and they have eSports DFS.
    He/him
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

And weren't we talking about 16 year old Fortnite champs making big money recently? Capitalism says that consumers will pay for what they want and clearly bass tournaments are a niche market for just a few of us here.
    He/him
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    I am curious, so am going to look into, but I think you are right. Ken, nice video, but the assumptions are pretty big.
    The most that I know of that has been paid for a Classic is 300-500k. And that was when Mickey Mouse owned BASS, and had leverage in Orlando.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rds_nc View Post
    And weren't we talking about 16 year old Fortnite champs making big money recently? Capitalism says that consumers will pay for what they want and clearly bass tournaments are a niche market for just a few of us here.
    I know. I'm astounded at what that gaming stuff is paying.

14. Banned
    I’d be willing to wager that marble racing on espn 8 could give bass fishing a run for its money in viewership.

I was surprised to hear that wrapped boats fetch $25k.

16. Banned
    The most that I know of that has been paid for a Classic is 300-500k. And that was when Mickey Mouse owned BASS, and had leverage in Orlando.
    I sent an email to someone at visit knoxville, we will see if they respond.

17. Banned
    I say if you don’t like the payouts find another hobby, sport, job or whatever you call it or get good enough to have big sponsors.

It's a tough situation...and agree with most. The reality is, you fish it or you don't...

i know now some have great sponsorship deals but I don't know how most of them do it at the professional level. The reality is the same with weekend warrior type series...unless you're consistently at the top, the financials hurt the eyes but of course it's easier to accept when it's hundreds, not thousands. A buddy tried a Costa event this year, finished top 30 in a field of 180 boats and didn't break even. Mostly on his dime and sure travel incurs a lot of expense but all the same.

fishing doesn't and likely won't have any TV deals (especially with Internet theses days) and there won't be anyone "paying at the gate" like other sports get from their fans. One of the major reason comparisons are tough to make.

Congrats on the arrival of Hollis

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    I sent an email to someone at visit knoxville, we will see if they respond.
    I think they try to get a couple hundred K from the city, and a couple hundred K from the state.

20. Member
    You need to compare Redcrest to the FWC and classic. Not the mlf tv show.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast