Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrew73 View Post
    I say if you don’t like the payouts find another hobby, sport, job or whatever you call it or get good enough to have big sponsors.
    I love the sport of bass fishing but have to agree here. There are people working all kind of jobs making peanuts to support there families and some of the guys act like they deserve so much because they fish for a living. Heck we all want to make more money at our jobs and some of us don't really love what we have to do. To be honest they should be glad there is even a way to make a living doing it.

2. Tico
    Good video and commentary Ken

When local and regional tournament organizations can run 80% to 100+% payback with a lot lower sponsorship level than FLW or BASS there is headroom to improve payouts.

Maybe FLW and BASS needs some help improving their operational expenses. My guess is that they both have some upper management folks that need some salary haircuts.

3. Member
    Ken very good points it will be interesting to see how the sport moves forward *(I think BPT has raised some questions and shown not all was peaches and cream at BASS)*

4. Member
    How hard is it for honesty and transparency? Sniff out the greed at the top, if there is any. Sounds like a trickle down system and the fishermen are getting a slow drip!! Wake up folks!

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
    AND I believe our audience is growing faster, look at your local High School teams, many of them have 20-30-40 kids on the fishing team, how many on the golf team, 6-8?
    I don't agree with this... It's not growing, those kids have always been there. How many kids tried out for the fishing team and got cut???... Now they just have a venue to participate... I know in high school we had over 60 kids come out for 10 spots on the golf team... You can throw 100 fishing teams (that's 200 kids... 2 per team) out on a lake and they can all coexist and compete... You can't throw 200 golfers out on a golf course all at once and play 18 hole after school... They'd still be playing at midnight... And if they could I'm sure most high schools could field a golf team of 40-50-60 members...

And just another observation... Caddies making 600k to 1.5 million... And the MLF/ BPsT marshals give up a week to setup, tear down all for a hotel room, a meal and gas money???... And BASS and FLW actually have someone pay them to sit in a boat for 8 hrs???... Dan

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakebouef5 View Post
    It is a losing proposition boys....small potatoes to be had. Now we have Duckett, betting he is right and ESPN is wrong. . MLF would still be airing a few shows a year with 28 fishermen, if it wan't for two main....billionaire sponsors footing the majority of the bill and money to the anglers. Duckett said he would have housewives and youngsters watching his programs...and becoming a media giant!!! Ain't happening folks. As long as he keeps those deep pocket sponsors, he will produce a product, but forget PGA payouts.
    As I like to be optimistic, it's hard for me to say you're likely 100% correct. I'm an avid fisherman, an avid tournament fishing fan, and like pretty much all things fishing (and hunting) related. I'm all for the guys in professional bass fishing to be able to make a good living, or even get rich...but it also wouldn't bother me if the organizations closed up shop, and the anglers had to get real jobs!

As i've said before...nobody cares about tournament bass fishing, except those participating and those making money off them. It will likely always be that way.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post

And just another observation... Caddies making 600k to 1.5 million... And the MLF/ BPsT marshals give up a week to setup, tear down all for a hotel room, a meal and gas money???... And BASS and FLW actually have someone pay them to sit in a boat for 8 hrs???... Dan
    And an excellent observation it is. Can't believe anyone is willing to pay to work.

8. Member
    Don't you hate it when facts get in the way of a good argument. Accurate numbers never lie.

9. Member
    I'm going to jump back in the fray here, couple of things. I have a good buddy that played on the PGA tour in the 70's and 80's (won 3 times on tour). We were playing one day and I asked him if he ever played the British Open and he said yes, once, he finished 25th or 26th and won $2,600, said he never went back because he didn't cover his expenses. So the professional golf hasn't always been what it is now, specifically before a guy named Tiger. Audience...ok, so per my research 95% of all the rounds of golf played in the US last year were played by 20 million golfers. Over 40 million US citizens bought a fishing license last year. AND I believe our audience is growing faster, look at your local High School teams, many of them have 20-30-40 kids on the fishing team, how many on the golf team, 6-8?

Granted fishing is way behind where PGA is, but maybe it doesn't have to be that way. We need an organization that has the sales ability to capitalize on the size of the market and a moral compass to share it with the fisherman. Note...Jack Nickalus won 73 times on tour and 18 majors, his official career earnings.....$5.7mm
    40 million fisherman and BBC only has 100,000+ members. The general public's idea of fishing is drowning a bucket of worms. The reason golf, video games, poker, etc. are so popular is anybody can spend $10-500 and play the exact same sport as those on TV. Tournament fishing has a much higher entry point and that will always limit the sport.
    Brandon
    1996 Ranger 362XT
    Johnson Faststrike 150

Unhappy? The trades are looking for roofers, plumbers, electricians, Iron workers, truck drivers.

11. Banned
    I think BASS numbers were inflated to say the least. 32 million for the Classic over 3/ 4 days... A U of Tennessee football game generates 42 million in 1 day... 153,809 in attendance of the Classic. How many of those were counted twice or 3 times??? Vols average attendance is 95,779 and they're only counted once...

https://www.bassmaster.com/news/knox...etting-classic

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sport...ess/591257001/

12. Member
    Ok.. time for my .02. First of all yes there could be higher payouts without question. There is plenty of money floating on the top. But her eare a few reasons in my opinion why bass fishing cannot be compared to the big sports:

1. People want to watch head to head competition. They want to see this team vs that team side by side to see who is better. They want to watch golfers drive from the same spot. They want to count the score. They want to see emotions against another player beside them.

2. All big sports you can pack 1000's of fans into a small venue to watch the actions of everyone. You cant do this with fishing.

3. Most all big sports games are a couple hours. Not 3-4 days @ 8 hours a day. People are bored easily.

4. Although the sport of fishing has sponsors 90% are fishing related. They have boat sponsors, rods, reels, electronics etc. Not gigantic sponsors such as Nike (everyone wears clothes), sprint, Verizon etc.

This is just my opinion but I never see bass fishing as big as football, basketball, golf etc. I love fishing for the enjoyment of fishing. I enjoy tx fishing as well, but don't have to worry about making a living at it (I would starve to death). The fact is some people are very well off fishing/promoting. If you want to get there get better.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

But that 32 million was for the City only. None of that was going to BASS.

One thing people never take into account is many of the top guys get paid through sponsorship, just like golf, because of the platform. We gripe about payouts but many are getting value out of sponsorship that is only available because of the platform.

We need to realize BASS fishing is not on the same level as Golf, Football, even Tennis. Bass fishing is really not a a big market. I think this is what the MLF is trying to make happen. Make fishing appealing to a TV audience so they can tap into some of the money.

Personally I am not a fan of the format, but I am glad to see them trying to make a change.

Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Ken nice video, I watched it when you put it out on Tuesday. While I agree and the comparison to golf was enlightening, I think as
    far as bass fishing the revenue stream will not happen for anglers. I have fished my entire life, bass fish every weekend but have no interest in watching fishing on tv. I watch your youtube channel and others as a learning/ educational tool.

Another thing, I think while an important learning tool for example; marketing, competition, perseverance, accepting loss, introducing kids to bass tournaments for any thing other than the foregoing is a disservice. As your video shows the money is not there, in my opinion will never be there. I certainly would hate to see kids thinking they can become the next superstar and ending up broke trying, when the vast majority need to get a real job and bass fish as a hobby. As stated above bass fishing much less tournament bass fishing is just not on the radar for the vast majority of society.

Congrats on Hollis and keep putting out those great videos, we love them in TN.
    I have had most of them, some are just better than others.

15. Member
    I'm going to jump back in the fray here, couple of things. I have a good buddy that played on the PGA tour in the 70's and 80's (won 3 times on tour). We were playing one day and I asked him if he ever played the British Open and he said yes, once, he finished 25th or 26th and won $2,600, said he never went back because he didn't cover his expenses. So the professional golf hasn't always been what it is now, specifically before a guy named Tiger. Audience...ok, so per my research 95% of all the rounds of golf played in the US last year were played by 20 million golfers. Over 40 million US citizens bought a fishing license last year. AND I believe our audience is growing faster, look at your local High School teams, many of them have 20-30-40 kids on the fishing team, how many on the golf team, 6-8?

Granted fishing is way behind where PGA is, but maybe it doesn't have to be that way. We need an organization that has the sales ability to capitalize on the size of the market and a moral compass to share it with the fisherman. Note...Jack Nickalus won 73 times on tour and 18 majors, his official career earnings.....$5.7mm
    Ask 10 random people if they know who Tiger Woods is. Chances are 9 of 10 or 10 of 10 will know. Ask those same 10 people about KVD. 0 of 10 unless you are standing in a Bass Pro Shop in the Strike King isle. Golf is an international sport and played by a lot more than the 20 million Americans. Regarding HS teams, that's a regional thing in the US at best, so the amount of kids on a team in Texas is not really relevant. I'm surprised to hear there are 40 million fishing licenses sold (I thought it would be much lower), but how many of those are bought by tournament bass fishermen ? Sorry, but comparing tournament bass fishing to the PGA tour or golf in general is just silly. Jack may have only made $5.7 million in purse earnings, but his clothing, clubs, course design, soft drinks and every other thing he has his name on earned him 100X that amount and he is internationally recognized. Fox paid $93 million to televise the US Open, Women's US Open and Senior US open. You would have to pay them to broadcast fishing on Fox Sports 2 at 3:00 AM on a Tuesday.

16. Member
    Ken isn't asking for the large circuits to fork out millions to the pot for the fishermen. What his is saying, is that they are only fishing for the entry fees, same as I do with my small $60 entry fee club. The FLW pays out close to 90% of the entry fees for the purse, but nothing more. When he talks about the other sports, they add extra money into the final payout from advertising revenue. Why can't the big fishing circuits add 10-15-25% of their companies advertising revenue into the payout for the anglers? FLW and BASS are still running on a platform that was thought up in the 60's.

Financially it is not a smart move to fish the FLW or BASS, if they will not kick in something extra as an incentive.

17. Member
    I find the comparison of bass fishing tournaments to other sports way off balance. People pay to sit in the stand to watch football, basketball, tennis and roam the course to watch their favorite golfer on the course. Those that go to professional bass tournaments do not pay to watch a weigh-in and have little if any opportunity to be on a lake to watch their favorite fisherman catch or not catch a fish. If bass tournaments start charging fees to watch a weigh-in where the spectator did not have the opportunity to see the angler catch a bass, well bass tournaments will go down the drain rather quickly. Sponsor and municipal money is very little in comparison to other sports where people pay to view a sporting event.

18. Member
    lol comparing it to golf. Similar to the women's soccer team comparing their payout to the men's soccer team. It's all about revenue. I do agree with the BFL /Costa payouts though.
    Matthew 6:33
    2020 921elite

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RFeyoMN View Post

As i've said before...nobody cares about tournament bass fishing, except those participating and those making money off them. It will likely always be that way.
    I don't know about that, its obvious some folks worship at the altar of BASS, because the butthurt was real when bpt came around.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    You do an excellent job of doing your videos.

However this one is just another Fisherman whining about Professional Golfers and other Professional Athletes in high revenue sports making more money than Professional Bass Fisherman.

One has many choices in life if you don't make it as a Pro Athlete in a major revenue sport it doesn't entitle you to anything comparable when you decide to try and become a Professional Fisherman.

I always thought Bass Fishermen were an independent bunch.

Then you see threads and now videos with "Pie in the Sky" ideas complaining about the Social Injustice of what they get paid and telling other people how to spend their money. When their sport can't get a major network contract or attract corporate sponsorships like the PGA.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast