Bullet/Reels4Sale/Rods4Sale Moderator jayfaro's Avatar

Question about Pro ET/overhub props

So I took my family out today boating and fishing but before having them jump in the boat I went to check out the holeshot and mid of a 30p Pro ET. Some info about my boat. 21xdc/2018 300xs SM 1.75 4 batteries power pole 20 gallons of fuel and my fishing load.

Up until today I had never run an overhub style prop with this motor or my old 300x. Idling around wasn’t an issue which I was surprised about. RPM we’re a little high but not anything crazy. I didn’t have a lot of time since the kids and wife were getting restless and wanted to fish.

Couple of observations
    With the plate lowered, the motor revved to 6000rpm and the bow stood straight up but once it hooked up, it was gone.

Raised the plate to about 1” above, motor revved to 6000 but the bow didn’t stand completely up but was still far short from my Bravo1 holeshot

Mid range was awesome. Small lake and impatient family prevented me from messing around with it.

Got to ramp put my Bravo back on put the family in the boat got out of the no wake stood on it and was on plane in the length of the boat.

Now I love my Bravo1 but since I’ve never run an over hub do you give up a little on the low end and make it up on the big end? Whereas as Bravo1 is a better fishing prop with a load but slower on the big end? I’ve had my Bravo to 90 but with this 300xs I’m not sure how much is left in it.

I am intrigued about the Pro ET. The mid range acceleration was amazing but wasn’t crazy about the holeshot.

I understand the Pro ET will be faster but seeing as our lakes are small so we’re rarely able to run in excess of 80-85 I’m not sure the extra 2-3 mph over the bravo is a trade off I’d make. I’ve seen the BBC member from Canada with the 20xd who posts videos of tournament takeoffs. Maybe it is the angle of the GoPro but his holeshot is flat and fast.

So after writing something that resembles my senior thesis from college I guess my question is for you guys with a 21x and a 300xs SM 1.75 who run these props do you have any advice? Thanks boys.
    Last edited by jayfaro; 08-14-2019 at 10:05 PM.
    Jay Faro
    Bullet 21xdc/300xs

2. Member
    Jay, I'm running a 25 BravoXS, but I have 1:62's, great fishing prop, hole shot is great!, but for speed, I run a 30 Pro ET

3. Bullet/Reels4Sale/Rods4Sale Moderator jayfaro's Avatar
    Thanks Todd. I’m running a stock 29 (or maybe 30p) Bravo1 XS. If there was a way to keep the bow from standing up I think I’d love the ProET. Any suggestions on motor height for holeshot to prevent the bow rise? Thanks again Todd.
    Jay Faro
    Bullet 21xdc/300xs

Have you tried a ProMax?

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

5. Member
    I tried a couple different 30ProET and they almost seem like a totally different prop then the 28proET. My 30 Performer ET 4 does everything better then my 30proET, holeshot, accelerate and topend. BUT For some reason the 28P proET is a animal. (which is why so excited to try a 30 ProET and why i tried more then 1.)

here is a vid of the 28 proET Front and rear view. (so you can see the angle). I had a vid of my 30ProET in a tournament but never posted it because it was embarrassing.

6. Bullet/Reels4Sale/Rods4Sale Moderator jayfaro's Avatar
    Thanks for the info Marty. I don’t want to say the holeshot was bad. If the bow didn’t raise so much it would have been good. It was accelerating even though I couldn’t see a damn thing. Lol

Mike I tried a ProMax on my old 300x but have been so pleased with the Bravo I hadn’t really wanted to mess with it. Over the winter I had an opportunity to buy the ProET and since they’re not readily available I jumped on it. We fished a tournament out of my boat 2 weeks ago. Water temps were 80. Outside temp was 96 with a 105 heat index muggy humid gross condition. I’m talking swampass standing in the registration line lol Full fuel. Full livells. Two guys. 20 rods and all of our tackle. The holeshot was unbelievably quick and it was consistent all day. If I bury the plate and trim all the way in there is zero bow lift and I’m on plane in dang near the length of the boat. For the way I use this boat I’m not sure there’s going to be a better prop. Loved the acceleration of the ProET though.
    Jay Faro
    Bullet 21xdc/300xs

7. Member
    From what i think you want in a prop, nothing will beat a bravo 1. A hydromotive QIV-X OB will be close on holeshot and topend a lil better then a bravo 1 but If you don't care about getting every mph out of your boat i would just run that bravo.

Me personally i don't mind loosing a bit of holeshot (within reason) to get more acceleration and topend.

Also on a side note, Do you have a hydrofoil? i got a hydrofoil and a 2deg negative trim wedge. (which will help come out flatter) Your 21xd should come out flatter then my 20.

8. Bullet/Reels4Sale/Rods4Sale Moderator jayfaro's Avatar
    No foil until my warranty runs out. Lol it is going to make a world of difference. I did run a 30 Hydromotive Quad iv x ob. I ran them side by side to 85 and though the mid on the hydro was awesome it couldn’t touch the holeshot.
    Jay Faro
    Bullet 21xdc/300xs

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jayfaro View Post
    No foil until my warranty runs out. Lol it is going to make a world of difference. I did run a 30 Hydromotive Quad iv x ob. I ran them side by side to 85 and though the mid on the hydro was awesome it couldn’t touch the holeshot.
    It does not make as big of a difference as a 20 but it will make a difference. You'll notice it alot on props that want to lift the nose. (like the proET)

Here is a vid of my rig with no foil and no negative trim wedge with the 28 proET. You can see it make a huge difference on my rig.

The camera guy in the middle is a TV show guy. They had made a TV show about our fishing series. (guy had no idea what he was agreeing to when he got in my boat) he wanted to film the hole thing. Once we got over 90mph he put the cam down. Said he couldn;t hold onto it no more lol!!!

10. Banned
    I prefer the holeshot of a Performer 4 Bc over a pro et on my setup.

11. Bullet/Reels4Sale/Rods4Sale Moderator jayfaro's Avatar
    Marty I cant believe that is the same 28 Pro ET in the second video as it was in the first...my holeshot with the Pro ET was much better than what's in the video but I was also solo so assuming once livewells and full fuel plus a passenger, it could pose a real issue...im probably going to keep it though so once the cooler weather gets here, sure is gonna be fun to run!

Also, where is your jackplate on holeshot? I normally run 1"- 1 1/4" above but with the amount of backwash get coming off plane due to the PP brackets, I'm forced to put the plate all the way down. That's how I found that the Bravo is a rocket with the plate down vs raised...do these over hub props like to have the plate way up?
    Last edited by jayfaro; 08-16-2019 at 01:15 PM.
    Jay Faro
    Bullet 21xdc/300xs

12. Member
    Weight, water temp, air temp, humidity all make a big difference in how a motor performs, the cooler the better

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet 250 View Post
    Weight, water temp, air temp, humidity all make a big difference in how a motor performs, the cooler the better
    For some odd reason i always pull my biggest numbers in the heat (well what we call heat in northern canada)

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jayfaro View Post
    Marty I cant believe that is the same 28 Pro ET in the second video as it was in the first...my holeshot with the Pro ET was much better than what's in the video but I was also solo so assuming once livewells and full fuel plus a passenger, it could pose a real issue...im probably going to keep it though so once the cooler weather gets here, sure is gonna be fun to run!

Also, where is your jackplate on holeshot? I normally run 1"- 1 1/4" above but with the amount of backwash get coming off plane due to the PP brackets, I'm forced to put the plate all the way down. That's how I found that the Bravo is a rocket with the plate down vs raised...do these over hub props like to have the plate way up?
    I holeshot about level to pad. But yeah its unreal difference on my rig, It goes from a rig that rockets out of the hole to i need my partner on the bow to get it out of the hole.The vid is when i was having issues with mercury and they said if i drilled holes for my foil id void my warranty (already had a sporty pass under warranty) I even got the stock cowling on. But after that tournament i said **** it and put the foil and wedge back on anyways. I just put mad efi everything they make for the sportmaster to cure all the issues with these cases.

The proET is a small blade prop, the lighter the better. This is my prop that gets affected the most by weight.

15. Member
    I'm running a 21xdc w/ a 300x w/ 1.62's and I haven't found a better prop for my rig than the 28 pro et. Performs better all around than the bravos and promax on my rig. Holeshot w/ 2 people and a tourny load is in about a boat length, acceleration is insane, and top end is the best out of anything I've run. Also carries the load well and performs well in rough water. I do have a hydrotec tuner, poppet diverter and relieved exhaust though, so that definitely helps an overhub perform better out of the hole.
    Bullet 21XDC / Mercury 300X

16. Member
    Don't know why Mercury ever quit making the Pro ET, one of the best props they ever made!!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet 250 View Post
    Don't know why Mercury ever quit making the Pro ET, one of the best props they ever made!!
    They say the promax does everything better. Maybe on some rigs, but thats def not the case on mine.

18. Member
    Holeshot was terrible on mine with a Promax