MY POWER POLE INSTALL

Here are a few photos of my install of a pair of 8 foot Blades on a 2019 Z 518 L Ranger. First off was installing the brackets and with the detailed instructions it was pretty easy. Then the poles went on next with only doing it by myself it was a bit difficult but they went on without a hitch. My next step was routing the tubing, I looked at all possibilities and went with drilling through the plastic cover for the splash well access. All other areas had too much tubing and wiring behind the fiberglass and I just did not like any of the other possible areas. And with the extra hydraulic tubing if taking the splash well cover is needed there is plenty of tubing to take off and move to the side. Once I got the tubing to where I needed I used marine silicone sealant on the 4 grommets and remember to wipe off excess right away. The pumps I installed where the spare prop holder is and that gave me plenty of access to the pumps. I rolled the extra hydraulic tubing next to the pumps and loosely wire tied them in securely. I installed a Marinco 701 power switch and ran a 6 gauge power wire from the positive battery post to the switch and ran the two red wires from the pumps to the other side of the switch and the black wires to the negative post on the battery. Battery used is the starting battery. Next was running the air out of the units and programming the switches which was pretty easy. I put the dash switch on dash with 2 sided 3 M mirror tape and it is a very strong bond to the dash panel. Next was the foot switches on the front deck which you install where they are convenient for your use. I went with the starboard side to stay away from the trolling motor cable possibly hitting the switches. After the install I am very glad I went with the red Blades and another Thanks to Kevin at K&K whom actually sent me photos of the red Blade next to a Ranger paint chip of the red I have on my boat which was a big factor in my color decision. I hope this may help someone else whom my be installing Power Poles.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by botrdav; 09-09-2019 at 12:50 PM.
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    text sent!

Looks great!

1999 Triton TR-19 PDC
    1999 Mercury 175 EFI
    25P Tempest Prop-worked by Croxton
    Minnkota Ultrex 80
    Humminbird Helix 9 MDI Bow
    Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI Bow
    Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI Console
    Humminbird Helix 5
    Humminbird Mega 360
    Mega Live
    8in Vance MFG. jack plate
    2 10ft Minnkota Raptors

4. BBC SPONSOR
    looking good!

For future installs,

You can use the Factory Ranger battery switch for your Power Poles. No need for a 2nd switch.

Side note, The hardware used in this picture to hole the Power Pole to the adapter plate is actually the hardware supplied for a direct transom mount. The correct hardware is located with the adapter plate. You will find 4 x 3/8 bolts. Much shorter.

5. Member
    Luckily Kevin at K&K seen my post and texted me right away that I used the wrong bolts and also sent me a photo of the right bag of bolts and also advised me to raise the mounting plates up about 5 inches. The switch took about an hour but time well spent. While I was doing the fix I sent photos of my progress and that was at 7:00 pm central time and Kevin is Eastern time so he was aiding later in the evening. After the fix I sent Kevin a message with photos and he gave me a thumbs up. Another Thank You to Kevin and Thanks for the great service.
    Last edited by botrdav; 08-17-2019 at 08:30 PM.
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

6. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by botrdav View Post
    Luckily Kevin at K&K seen my post and texted me right away that I used the wrong bolts and also sent me a photo of the right bag of bolts and also advised me to raise the mounting plates up about 5 inches. The switch took about an hour but time well spent. While I was doing the fix I sent photos of my progress and that was at 7:00 pm central time and Kevin is Eastern time so he was aiding later in the evening. After the fix I sent Kevin a message with photos and he gave me a thumbs up. Another Thank You to Kevin and Thanks for the great service.

7. Member
    I considered using the Ranger cut off switch problem with that is if I was bringing a few Crappie home for dinner or to put in my area ponds I would need power for the livewells or if I was running the SRVS to dryout the lockers I would need power and if the power poles were on the same switch I would need to worry about an accidental deployment. Kevin at K&K sent me which switch to use and with that on I feel better driving home and with my boat in garage I leave the power switch on as I may be running a graph for practice or learning and I can keep power off the power poles and not worrying about a deployment putting a hole in the wall.
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

8. Member
    I am posting these two photos of my install with the correct bolts and moving the mounting plates up 5 inches per Kevin's advise. Another Thanks to Kevin at K&K for being so quick with informing me about my mistake even being later in the evening his time.

2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

9. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by botrdav View Post
    I am posting these two photos of my install with the correct bolts and moving the mounting plates up 5 inches per Kevin's advise. Another Thanks to Kevin at K&K for being so quick with informing me about my mistake even being later in the evening his time.

Taking personal care of our customers, thats what we do.

10. Member
    Why raise the plates? I would think as low a possible without dragging on the hole shot would give you maximum depth of deployment.

11. Member
    I did the measurement that is in the instructions for 4 inches above the hull inline with pole bottom which must be for mounting directly to hull as I was 7 inches up and I thought I was good. Then with Kevin’s advise I raised them up 5 inches as he knows quite a bit more then I do and glad I did as with boat sitting water they are on the water line and on holeshot from what I could see are a few inches above water, if they were down that 5 inches they would be dragging in the water.
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

12. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Alive View Post
    Why raise the plates? I would think as low a possible without dragging on the hole shot would give you maximum depth of deployment.
    where he had them set initially he would have been dragging them terribly on the holehot and possibly while on plane as they were almost all the way down. Where we had him set them is a good starting point from experience he can lower them a little as he runs the boat more and get them to the optimal position for his particular rig as to achieve maximum holding depth.