Question about aerobic septic system for house and shop

My goal is to share the same system between a detached shop with 1 bedroom living quarters and a house with 2 full bathrooms.

Trying to find out the maximum amount of solid line you can run from house and shop to meet at the point of the first tank location. Or, is there a certain way to accomplish my goal?

We've had a conventional septic with two 500 gal tanks to a distribution box to the field (leech) lines for 30 yrs. I have very little knowledge about the aerobic systems.

And yes, I know I could contact an aerobic system installer to find out my answer. But I ain't, yet.

Thanks

"ain't too smart.....but I'm always thinkin"

2. Bobby8
    I don't know much about them either but did have a house built 17 or 18 years ago with an aerobic system. Mine was a Jet Plant that was supposed to be one of the best back then. Discharge line from the tank went to 2 sprinkler heads that kept the front yard watered. I know some counties require a contract be in place with a service company to maintain an aerobic system. Sorry couldn't be more help.

That's ok Bobby, and just as I suspected, the rest of this bunch don't know "shit".

I believe ya need at least 1/4" per foot of drop for sewer. I just don't know if these aerobic systems require anything more.
    So 60 foot of solid line to the tank would make the tank inlet sit at 15" below grade of the pipe leaving the house and shop.

5. Banned
    I don’t know shit other than the shit goes down hill.

6. Banned
    You def want to call an installer, all kinds of crap to know. Certain distance and you drop to a 3” pipe instead of a 4” pipe. Also need cleanouts if it’s over a certain distance. If you can’t get the 1/4” per ft drop, you can install a grinder pump and pump it uphill if you need too. They aren’t all that expensive either, actually a godsend. My dad installs septics for a living, but I don’t like the SOB, so I’m not calling him to ask any questions.

7. Member
    You are correct on the 1/4" per foot drop. You want to maintain as close to that as possible. Too fast a drop can cause problems. Liquid tries to outrun solids leaving shit behind.
    As grout scout stated, you can install a grinder lift pump if needed.
    Try to stay with a 4" solids line as much as possible with no 90 degree turns. Shit don't like to make sharp turns.
    If it were me, and there is no problem with the conventional system and elevation allows, I'd tie into that and not look back. Save yourself around $6K-8K, plus maintenance and upkeep down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutoy View Post

If it were me, and there is no problem with the conventional system and elevation allows, I'd tie into that and not look back. Save yourself around $6K-8K, plus maintenance and upkeep down the road.
    That was my original plan but the man that cleared the land said that a Conventional system may give me trouble down the road because I have a lot of iron ore, and that would keep the water on top of it, rather than saturating through it. ???
    I'll definitely talk to a local Septic man, and I have to check with SRA as well. There's a small creek in the back of the property that eventually runs under FM 3382 (the Indian Mounds road) and into a small arm that feeds Lowes Creek.

You got any recommendations for a Septic man up there?
    This looks to be quite a happy bunch with their custom painted honey wagon.

http://a1budgetseptic.com/

9. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Corkpuller View Post
    There's a small creek in the back of the property that eventually runs under FM 3382 (the Indian Mounds road) and into a small arm that feeds Lowes Creek.
    There ya go, just run it into that, throw up some no trespassing signs and all's well with the world ... Seriously, I got a HS buddy that has a septic & house inspection business in Conroe that prolly knows his stuff. He'd talk to you if you told him I sent you, but doubt he'd come to TB to install it.

10. Member
    That was my original plan but the man that cleared the land said that a Conventional system may give me trouble down the road because I have a lot of iron ore, and that would keep the water on top of it, rather than saturating through it. ???
    I'll definitely talk to a local Septic man, and I have to check with SRA as well. There's a small creek in the back of the property that eventually runs under FM 3382 (the Indian Mounds road) and into a small arm that feeds Lowes Creek.

You got any recommendations for a Septic man up there?
    This looks to be quite a happy bunch with their custom painted honey wagon.

http://a1budgetseptic.com/
    When I moved here permanently in '01, I was stupid and let my neighbor talk me into working with him installing aerobic systems. He quit doing them about 5 years ago and I don't know who installing them now.
    Anything you have now is grandfathered in. Anything you change from the tanks to the living structure is "supposed" to be approved by SRA.
    If you contact SRA about what you're wanting to do, they will flag you for an inspection. As with any gruberment and state entity, they will want to get into your pocket book if at all possible. If you have nosey neighbors, you may want to go that route. If not, .
    If you don't have at least 40"s of sandy topsoil, they will require a aerobic style system installed. You will also have to pay to have an assessment and system plan design. They(SRA) knows the soil composition for the surrounding area. The only place we ever installed a conventional system was down by the dam.
    If you've never had problems with the existing system, I know what I'd do.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutoy View Post
    If you've never had problems with the existing system, I know what I'd do.
    There is no existing system boss.

9 acres with ~2 acres 700' off the road clear cut, to build our shop and house.
    Got a clean slate.

Will likely build the shop first. Wall off 20x40 area to live in. Then we can start moving our furniture and other goods and store it all in the shop.
    We'll then put our current place up for sale. Once it sells we'll start on a house, eventually.
    At least that's one plan anyhow.

Could also just move everthing in the shop and live at the fishin camp while the new house is being built. Just a mile from the camp to the new homestead.

Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    There ya go, just run it into that, throw up some no trespassing signs and all's well with the world ... Seriously, I got a HS buddy that has a septic & house inspection business in Conroe that prolly knows his stuff. He'd talk to you if you told him I sent you, but doubt he'd come to TB to install it.

13. Member
    There is no existing system boss.

9 acres with ~2 acres 700' off the road clear cut, to build our shop and house.
    Got a clean slate.
    Gotcha. I read it that you were wanting to add a shop living quarters to a existing system.
    You'll most likely have to have a aerobic system, unless by some miracle you have a heavy layer of sandy top soil. From the sounds of what the clearing guy said, it's probably heavy clay.
    It sounds like you're close to the El Camino community. I'd go talk to some of the people there with newer houses and see who they used to install their systems and who'd they recommend.

14. Member
    I don’t know much. I used a macerator pump on the bungalow I just finished with a 2” line to the existing main line. If you call SRA tell em your name is Johnny Jones. Aerobic has to be engineered, the installer will get that done. You want the main line house to tank “short”. If you want to see how that pump works get your ass over here and we’ll look at it before the 42 game.

Troy, the guy that installed mine about 10 years ago at the lake was a guy named Dave (409)579-4177. Not sure if he is still in the business but I bet he can do it or send you in the right direction.
    To our troops

thanks Aggie

17. Member
    Dave is no longer doing systems. That's who I used to work with.
    Like Troy said, he might be able to steer you to someone that does.

I hate to hear that, but he might be able to give you a name. BTW, Troy my kids are at Texas State in San Marcos and THE University of Texas in Austin, so I have given away all my Aggie wear, except my lucky fishing hat!!!! Burnt Orange isn't so bad after all.. I know you appreciate baseball. My son is on the UT baseball travel team and having a ball. But like they say, keep Austin weird and it hasn't changed. I can assure you MY kids aren't drinking the liberal coolaid..
    To our troops

Per our telephone messages, that’s great, you have a lot to be proud of, whether he ever gets “the call” or not.

20. Member
    I have a aerobic system and there are regulations and requirements on how many sprinker heads you have and the distance it can spray to property lines, ditches and creeks. If you have a lake it has to be a certain distance from the lake. All this is dependent on the county you live in and what they require. Some counties require it is certified every year by a ceritified installer.