Thread: bantam pg ?

bantam pg ?

for those who have purchased the Japanese model bantam pg where did you get it? how do you like the reel? thanks

digitaka
    https://www.digitaka.com/list.php?ca...tem=BANTAM+MGL

The reel is solid as a rock and smooth as glass.

3. Member
    thanks is there a good place to get a slightly bigger handle for this reel? I am looking at using this reel for big cranks

Quote Originally Posted by z520brewer View Post
    thanks is there a good place to get a slightly bigger handle for this reel? I am looking at using this reel for big cranks
    Hawgtech has a 102 mm and a 110 mm handle.

https://www.hawgtech.com/products

5. Member
    thanks

6. Member
    I have been wanting to try the bantam pg.
    Does anybody know how it compares to a calcutta 100D or 200D in feel?

I had all 3 versions of the Bantam MGL's, I described them as having the feel of a low profile Conquest. I currently still have the JDM 100D and I would say the Bantams were all smoother than the 100D. I sold all my Bantams and opted for the new Antares DC, Antares MD and Exsence DC reels for no reason other than liking the DC options. My buddy who now has 2 of my Bantams loves them!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstondry View Post
    I had all 3 versions of the Bantam MGL's, I described them as having the feel of a low profile Conquest. I currently still have the JDM 100D and I would say the Bantams were all smoother than the 100D. I sold all my Bantams and opted for the new Antares DC, Antares MD and Exsence DC reels for no reason other than liking the DC options. My buddy who now has 2 of my Bantams loves them!
    Thanks for the info. I'll definitely have try one

9. Banned
    I have an XG model that is the JDM variant. I do like the reel, as its just "solid" feeling. I use mine for pitching baits with 17lb mono. Its not much of a caster in my opinion. But it does the job extremely well for what I use it for.

10. Member
    I appreciate everyones input. It seems like there are two opinions on the bantam reel. All say it is solid and smooth while some say it is good at casting while others say that it does not cast well. Man I am confused?? Can anyone help clear this up?

11. Member
    Just to muddy the waters a bit further I have JDM Bantam that is smooth as silk and feels great in hand but does not cast as well as any of my daiwa's. When i loosen it up enough to get distance it tends to fluff up the line a bit much on the cast while the daiwas are not nearly as finicky.... Thumb bar is also not real easy to push and gets worse in real cold temps.

set up in-correctly. That reel will nearly cast with a DC when properly adjusted.
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

13. Member
    i think i have 10 bantams now sadly no pg version all of mine are 7;1 and 6;1 ratios. A few of them were bought when they first hit the market, so they have had some time on them. All of them are super solid and very smooth. yes they are heavy so know that when going into it if you are looking to get one. Like you are stating you hear many say the line guide is too close to the spool and it wont cast far. I agree this will put your line at a strange angle sometimes and you may lose some distance, but i can assure you they are great casters. I really havent felt a lack of casting distance with them and they surprisingly can cast lighter baits decently. I have noticed with the bantam especially compared to other shimano reels that it is very strict on the amount of line you have on the reel. when you spool up make sure to not overfill this will help so much in setting it up right for casting and not having finicky issues with the reel. I personally cant say any bad things about the reel it truly is a reel you can hand your grand kids one day lol. the weight would be a gripe but for it to be robust like it is i doubt they were shooting for 4 oz reel weights. The bantam only has 11 lbs of drag and some complain but thats enough for bass fishing in my opinion. speaking of drag i have actually caught a few nice striper with the reel and even though not a powerhouse drag stack it is silky smooth when going out.

14. Member
    I recently overhauled all of my reels. I switched back from Daiwa Zillion TWS to Shimano. Before ordering my full stock of Shimano I ordered a few Metanium MGL reels and a few Bantam MGL reels. I liked the Bantams significantly better than the Metaniums. I thought they casted better and felt better in my hand. I don't mind the extra weight. Most of the weight comes from the brass gearing in the Bantam.... that's important for performance longevity. I now have 18 Bantams, 2 Metaniums and an Aldebaran BFS for ultra light lures.