Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Why are BassCats so hard to resell?

I know in some areas they are easier than others. But the general consensus among the people I know who own them, as well as my own personal experience, is it's a very difficult boat to resell. Unless, it's an older boat. It also seems like of all the major boat brands BassCats depreciate the most. But when comparing the brands and having been to most of the factories, the quality and engineering of a Cat is second to none.

edit:I do own a BassCat
    Last edited by mwtlsu; 08-14-2019 at 03:08 PM.

2. Member
    I disagree on the excessive depreciation comment.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

4. Member
    I can't tell if you're trolling or being serious?

5. Member
    Depreciation statement is 100% wrong. My tournament partner sells bass boats and looks up trade in and resale values daily. BassCats are not even close to having the most or worst depreciation. I will not bad mouth other manufacturers on here but I'm sure we all know who they are.
    Brad Krone

I spent 6 months looking for a nice used BassCat (and at other models too) but most would be bought up before I could travel to go look at them. BassCats tend to be priced higher than other similar boats (except Ranger) so I would say they hold their value 2nd best to only Ranger. That being said my 2013 Pantera 4 has been for sale for a month with very little interest which I have found as very odd considering the condition of the boat and the fact its one of BCBs most desirable models.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

7. Member
    They are difficult to buy. They disappear about as quickly as they are listed. If you see something advertised and you don't get to it within 72 hours at the most, it won't be there. They also hold their value about the same as the Toyota Tacomas do, which is to say "outstanding."

The premise above is simply wrong.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

I was really surprised when I first say my boat advertised on Facebook till the time I called the guy was a week and it was still there. got the deal done in 3 days and picked it up 3 days later.

and have been told by more than a few including a dealer here that for the price I bought it at I stole the thing

I might be wrong about the depreciation. Just an observation. But there are a lot of boats for sale on BBC alone. I have tried to sell my Cougar twice in the last 6 months. Almost no interest and it's priced $4k less than what I have seen. I know every situation is different. But I have too many friends with Cats who all experience the same thing. Is it because Cat owners have a tendency to hang onto their boats longer and don't buy and resell like other brand owners?
    Last edited by mwtlsu; 08-14-2019 at 03:39 PM.

10. Member
    Does the current situation mwtlsu is experiencing have to do with Mercury's change from 2 stroke to 4 stroke?

11. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    A boats color effects its resale as much as anything.

12. Member
    I'll add that I sometimes see used boats listed for within a couple thousand of new. If my local dealer has a sabre he'll see sell new for 35k, I'm not buying a 4 year old version for 32k. Heck yes have probably sold me that boat new for less as boats have gone up that much. I see that some with Panteras as well.

I’ve owned many different brands of boats to include three Bass Cats. The Bass Cats are by far the easiest to sell. The last one I sold was a two year-old Pantera II that was bought in two days. A nice thing about Bass Cat is the owners board with the “for sale” section. It gets a decent amount of traffic and people always seem to post “looking for” or “want to buy”.

Imo any boat with a merc 2 stroke, in general, will now be a harder sell now with the V8 as an option. Unless they all start soon having issues, though so far it's been getting very good feedback. Color, also, is huge. Unpopular color and a 2 stroke....ANY brand is gonna have to be priced WAY under market value to move. As good of a rep Basscat has and as good of a boat they build I'd doubt they are any where CLOSE to the bottom on resale value.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

The 2 stroke engines have definitely made resale a larger challenge in the recent summer months, now one year into the four stroke product for Mercury. A long term warranty we have long suggested, stretching to the 7 year maximum.

As for resale value, NADA and ABOS use a solid grading on Bass Cat and no boat has a higher resale value. Some do have lower resale values, though not higher. The true resale value is determined in the book value.

Also be sure you are posting it on the Bass Cat For Sale page on the Owners Forum and we highlight that on our Facebook site occasionally.

BCB

Cat are easy to sell. It is all about price, condition and now a 2 stroke vs 4 stoke engine.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iron banks View Post
    Cat are easy to sell. It is all about price, condition and now a 2 stroke vs 4 stoke engine.
    Yep along with color playing a big roll also.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

I think BCB hold their value better that any others even into the 90's models if they are in good condition. The only exception I see is in Texas, Skeeter seems to hold about the same depreciation rate as BCB. I think Cats are easy to sell. I've seen several sold for the value they command, in quick time and have seen several people travel across 4-5 states(or more) to buy one.
    Currently boatless but will always drive a Bass Cat

19. Member
    I think BCB's are a specialty boat to some degree. Most of us that fish a lot consider it a go fast boat, which is a subset of the overall bass boat market. I'm not trying to tick guys off here, i actually think they are great looking, well built boats, but that said they are a less stable platform to drive (you gotta "drive" a BC) and they are less stable to fish out of. I know BC guys are gonna scream about this post, but I know more guys that would rather have a big, wide, albeit slower boat, in a Ranger, Skeeter, Nitro, etc, than a BC. By the way I fished out of a partners Gambler for a year, fabulous boat, well built, incredibly fast, but again a specialty boat, when you run across a guy looking to buy a Gambler, they are easy to sell, but smaller segment of the overall fisherman market looking for go fast boats than more stable platforms. just my $0.08. and by the way i think that is why they came out with that new model a year or two ago that was wider and slower, and every "bass cat" guy I know, hated it
    Last edited by Ken Smith; 08-14-2019 at 11:50 PM. Reason: wanted to add something

20. Member
    I think it has alot to do with demographics of the area you live in, color of the boat, the advertisement and how well you depict your rig. I know if I see a boat advertised and the pictures show a boat that is dirty or looks unkempt in any way I won't give it a second look. Cleanliness, sharp colors (very subjective I know) , proper maintenance records and being in an area with people that have to money to spend on a "toy" are all keys to selling along with pricing fairly. The last 2 cats I sold were gone before I had a chance to show it to people who were lined up to come look at them. One was 14 years old and one was 4 years old. I priced them fairly and took a bunch of pictures and even videos to show people. I posted a Video on facebook and that pretty much did it. They both sold within 2 days of my first advertisement.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast