Older HD Lake Card

Is there a reason my new Echomap Plus can't read it? Can you update an older lake card?
    07 STRATOS 176XT

What year of card? Is it LakeVu or LakeVu Ultra?
    Garmin Pro Team

3. Member
    2016 maybe, and I think its Ultra.
    07 STRATOS 176XT

With the card in the unit, go to Home, Settings, System, System Info, Software Info, and report back what you see here. You should see Built-in Map with version info, and if the unit is reading the card, you should also see Supplemental Map then related info. I just want to be sure the unit is not reading the card at all.
    Garmin Pro Team

5. Member
    Ok, I'll check it out. Thanks
    07 STRATOS 176XT

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    With the card in the unit, go to Home, Settings, System, System Info, Software Info, and report back what you see here. You should see Built-in Map with version info, and if the unit is reading the card, you should also see Supplemental Map then related info. I just want to be sure the unit is not reading the card at all.
    Ok sorry for the late get back, so yeah here is what I see:

ECHOMAP Plus 73cv, US Lakes software version 7.00

Supplemental Maps:

LVUS 100F Garmin LakeVu HD Ultra US v2015.0 v16.50
    LVUS 100FZ Garmin LakeVu HD Ultra US v2015.0 v16.50
    US LakeVu Detail Map v2017.01 v18.51

So I do have an HD Ultra card and the ECHOMAP PLUS is seeing it but can't read it. Probably because it's an older version.
    Last edited by Boostr; 08-27-2019 at 12:12 PM.
    07 STRATOS 176XT

We do know that your Plus unit is recognizing the 2015 Ultra card. What lake are you trying to use the Ultra card on? Does Garmin have contour information for the lake? Also, be sure you are looking at the Fishing Chart instead of Navigation Chart.

There's been 5 separate software updates released since 7.00, so it would also be good for you to update the unit. Current is 9.20.
    Garmin Pro Team

8. Member
    Well ok, updating the unit be a good Idea. I'll see what happens after I do this.

A side note: The unit did say the maps on the card were not compatible with the unit's built in maps. I don't know if that would mean anything.

Thanks
    07 STRATOS 176XT

9. Member
    Another Note: This LakeVu card was running on an older Echomap 73sv maybe thats why it can't read it because it's assigned to that unit.
    07 STRATOS 176XT

10. Member
    Are the built in maps on these newer units better than the ones that come on an older LakeVu card?
    07 STRATOS 176XT

When comparing the LakeVu built-in maps to the same year version of the Ultra card, here is what the Ultra card provides. The built-in maps have the same detail regarding your contour information.

g3 vs Ultra.JPG
    Garmin Pro Team

12. Member
    Do you think being that this card was running on another Echomap unit that it won't work on my newer unit as in it being registered for the other unit only or can you just use them on different units.
    07 STRATOS 176XT

How did you purchase the card? Was it a preloaded Ultra accessory card, or did you download the mapping card via Garmin Express?
    Garmin Pro Team

14. Member
    I bought it used it came with my boat. I think the previous owner bought it preloaded. I did update it for the one free time you could in 2017
    07 STRATOS 176XT

What lake are you trying to use the Ultra card on? Does Garmin have contour information for the lake? Have you updated the echomap yet? Also, be sure you are looking at the Fishing Chart instead of Navigation Chart.
    Garmin Pro Team

16. Member
    Todd I appreciate all the help thanks. I want o scope out Cayuga and Seneca on the graph before I go up tomorrow. Want to find some "fishy spots" and mark them on the graph. With all the cooler weather recently the bass might not be on those "fishy spots". I will update the graph today. It's not really a big deal if I can't use the card, and the built in maps are probably just as good or better than the older maps on the card.
    07 STRATOS 176XT