Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Extra Large Side Step/Launching alone

I have seen this on some boats and it seems to be a waste. The step down from the boat or vice versa is so long with nothing to hold on to that it is not functional. If launching alone, it appears you have to lay on the front of the boat and reach under the nose to unhook or use a launching rope to vehicle. On my prior boat, I had something like the trick step to use but the Phoenix I am buying does not have that option. What is its purpose of the extra large trailer step? Have you found an easier option to launching by yourself other than laying on the front deck or using a launching rope?

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I launch by myself 99.99% of the time....no steps on my trailer and routine is to leave the bow strap hooked, unwind enough to when it will float and pull back off trailer, unhook and then get into boat. When i load, power up till it's at the bow stop, leave motor in gear, lean over, hook and then cut motor off.....yeah i'm getting a little "older" for all that but it works for now.....maybe in the future i'll add some trick steps or something....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    The large bow step is perfect for me when loading/unloading alone.
    2014 920/SHO

4. Member
    Add the Trick Step!
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

5. Member
    I added to the extra large step that I bought after getting the boat. The original baby step is TOTALY WORTHLESS, if you think the extra large step is bad, try the baby step, and they even put it below the top surface of the frame, talk about stubbing your toe, I can see someone falling off the trailer trying to use that thing. STUPIDLY LOUSY engineering. Anyway my addition works great. I even added a shelf over the frame just behind the winch stanchion for better and safer walking when pushing the boat off the trailer. I launch alone just barely under 1000000000000000 percent of the time, only had assistance once in 4 1/2 years.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

6. Member
    All the pictures I've seen with the trick step, and that other step, it looks like it'd be a pain to reach under to unhook the strap from the bow eye, and it seems nobody has a video that shows it being done, expecially on the water. Looks like a person will bump their head on the steps while trying to unhook the strap, and rehook it.

-Henry David Thoreau

author unknown

7. Member
    I certainly see the value of the trick step, but the large trailer step was a great addition to my 819 trailer. I used it all the time and it was a cheap option.

8. Member
    So I assume you guys launching and using the extra large step back the boat in hooked up until it floats off slightly then get in the boat go to the front and step down to large step (seems it would awkward with such a large step down and no pole) to unhook then get back up into the boat and dock it. This is how I did it on my Legend except it had steps like the trick step. I would just step down 2 steps to reach under and unhook and then when loading do in reverse. Just trying to figure out how I need to do it without the trick step on new Phoenix or if I need to install an Easy Step. I hate using one of the long bungee ropes to launch.

I've never had to lay on the front deck to unload when by myself. Back it in. Jump on the tongue and unhook it then get in boat and back off trailer.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

10. Member
    I unwind the winch 10, 12, or 13 winds before I back in the water, depending on the launch, and how I feel on any given day. I then kneel on the step and unhook the strap, climb into the boat, back up, beach the boat, or tie to dock depending on the lake. I can see where the Trick steps can be in the way while reaching under the bow. I would really like to see a boat in person on the trailer, in the water, to see of the trick steps are really in the way of my head, shoulder, or arm while reaching under the bow to unhook or hook the strap while the bow eye is a couple 3 feet away from the eye. If somebody knows how to do a video, maybe they can post such a video.
    Last edited by Tom Edwards; 08-14-2019 at 03:38 PM.

-Henry David Thoreau

author unknown

11. Member
    Well maybe you do not need to back the Phoenix in as far as my Legend which sat high on the trailer. With it there was no getting onto the tongue of the trailer without getting wet. Look forward to trying it out.

12. Member
    Recently after seeing the advice of a few others, i started just leaving the safety strap hooked up. That way the boat floats off past the roller when it is deep enough but it keeps the boat on the trailer.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassm1n View Post
    Well maybe you do not need to back the Phoenix in as far as my Legend which sat high on the trailer. With it there was no getting onto the tongue of the trailer without getting wet. Look forward to trying it out.
    Fishing alone most of the time], it is the rare day when I don't get my feet wet. I have a bed cover on the truck and cant use the bed as a bridge to high ground.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by csurp View Post
    Fishing alone most of the time], it is the rare day when I don't get my feet wet. I have a bed cover on the truck and cant use the bed as a bridge to high ground.
    Yup. I crawl thru either of the 2 trucks I have, a van, and a Ramcharger - Blazer/Bronco type. My pickup also has a tonua cover.

-Henry David Thoreau

author unknown

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassm1n View Post
    In order to get to the boat I had to climb in the bed of the truck, them to the tongue, then on the boat. I always backed in just far enough to float the back without loosening the front winch. Stand on the tongue and large step and let the witch loose and the boat would go back and fall of the roller. Climb in and back it off and then go beach it. Loading I just slid up pretty far, left it in gear, and winched it up the last 6 inches.

16. Member
    I have the larger step from phoenix it still seems a little small,I was always searching for it with my foot put the trick steps and so much better. Tom , I just walk down the steps and 1 foot on the tongue and 1 on the step to release the strap, super easy no wet feet
    2014 Phoenix 721
    250 SHO

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crankbaitpete View Post
    I have the larger step from phoenix it still seems a little small,I was always searching for it with my foot put the trick steps and so much better. Tom , I just walk down the steps and 1 foot on the tongue and 1 on the step to release the strap, super easy no wet feet
    How far away from the roller is the bow eye when you do it? Mine is usually a couple feet on the steep ramp I use at the local lake 3 to 7 times a week.

I unwinch 12 turns of the winch handle, then I back the trailer in until the boat floats up in the rear, then a little farther until the boat floata up off the front of the bunks, then rolls off/away from the roller, then I pull up a foot or 2, then crawl out the back of the truck, onto the tongue, the step, kneel and unhook the strap and the safety cable, then climb into the boat. I can't unhook the safetay cable before backing in because at this launch it's steep enough that if you aren't careful the winch stanchion will PUSH the boat off the trailer with lots of force, that will pop the stiching on the strap holding the hook. Had that happen 4 times with my old boat over the 30 years I've owned it, so I have to be careful and slow backing in.
    Last edited by Tom Edwards; 08-14-2019 at 10:22 PM.

-Henry David Thoreau

author unknown

18. Member
    And yes even with the extra large step your foot is searching for the step when climbing off the boat onto the trailer when you are putting the boat onto the trailer. So I made an addition to mine that went forwards to the hinge of the folding/swivel tongue.

-Henry David Thoreau

author unknown

19. Member
    I am going to give mine a try as is and see what it takes. I think the technique of letting our a few feet of winch strap, backing until boat frees then pulling forward just enough to get on the trailer to unhook might work. Right now I am leaning toward adding the Easy Step sold aftermarket. Bolts onto the swing away tongue and folds up. Looks rock solid despite not being welded. Called them and it will work on the Phoenix but the extra large step will not allow tongue to fold more than 90 degrees which is fine with me.

20. Member
    tom that's sounds like a lot of work. Its a couple feet ,arms length .idrop in till the rear starts floating than a couple turns of the handle till boat settles and un hook
    2014 Phoenix 721
    250 SHO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast