90HP 2 Stroke Surging Need Help!

Hi. I have a 2000 2 stroke 90hp that has been running strong but recently I have been having this surging issue where It wont get over 2500rpm then it will surge on to 4k and plane out then will rev WOT then down to 3k. Its almost like one of the cylinders is going out or a flip is being switched off and on. I have tested the coil packs and they all tested well as well as new fuel. The fuel line from the tank to the motor is free of delamination. Im stuck and cant figure this out help!
    1988 Champion Mean 15
    2000 Mercury 90hp 2-stroke
    20p ss prop

2. Member
    Hello mean,
    just so I can get a better understanding.... When you say rev's up to WOT do you mean boat accelerates OR just the motor rev's faster?

Thanks
    robinr01

3. Member
    The boat accelerates, it feels like i'm dropping a cylinder at random rpms
    1988 Champion Mean 15
    20p ss prop

4. Member
    Unless you tested the coil packs under a load, it is likely one is bad. ohming them out means nothing. Pull the plugs after it has the problem and see if one is wetter than the others. Speaking of plugs, when was the last time they were changed?

Rick

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Before you get too deep into this- try a FRESH SET of the CORRECT Spark Plugs (based on the engine's SERIAL NUMBER).

Cannot stress this enough... I've had two local "techs" spend weeks chasing a similar condition for what turned out to simply be a "Bad Spark Plug".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    I pulled them and even replaced one. They were replaced not to long ago. Should I just buy a new coil pack?
    1988 Champion Mean 15
    20p ss prop

7. Member
    I wouldn't just buy one without verifying its bad , might be just bad coil as in one
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    I'm thinking of taking it out and unplugging one coil pack and seeing if it surges. I'm hoping it will run on 2 cylinders
    1988 Champion Mean 15
    20p ss prop

9. Member
    timming light will help ya also
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................