I have an MK-1-DC and have upgraded to a 24v trolling motor...

Hello,

I currently have a 90hp Johnson with a 10amp alternator. This worked great with my Mk-1-DC when I was running a full 12v system but I am upgrading to a new motor and 24v.

I am not opposed to upgrading to the MK-2-DC but it recommends atleast a 25 amp alternator.

I was considering splicing the leads from the MK-1-DC and hooking them up to both batteries. If I did this would I be providing 5 amps to each battery or am I making a mistake and creating unforeseen issues?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNest View Post
    Hello,

I currently have a 90hp Johnson with a 10amp alternator. This worked great with my Mk-1-DC when I was running a full 12v system but I am upgrading to a new motor and 24v.

I am not opposed to upgrading to the MK-2-DC but it recommends atleast a 25 amp alternator.

I was considering splicing the leads from the MK-1-DC and hooking them up to both batteries. If I did this would I be providing 5 amps to each battery or am I making a mistake and creating unforeseen issues?
    You’d burn something up quickly.

With a 10A alternator, you wasting your time trying to charge 3 batteries.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Fair enough. With the mk-1-dc it worked pretty well with the starter and 1 house battery. How it works is the starter is topped up to 13.7 before it sends any power to the other battery.

I figured splitting 10 amps into 5 amps each between two house batteries would be better then nothing.

I'm not opposed to upgrading to an mk-2dc with the proper amount of outputs but my concern there is it requires a 25 amp alternator which I don't have.

I've been very careful when doing wiring on my boat as the last thing I want to deal with is a fire on a small bass boat. That being said having my trolling motor batteries charge a bit while I'm running spot to spot is nice