Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

52" Ultrex Shaft

Does anyone know if I can cut 3-4" off my 52" ultrex shaft without having any issues. I can't see there being any issue but would like to hear from anyone who knows for sure. Thanks

2. Member
    And 45" is too short? What kind of boat do you have?

3. Member
    I have a z21. In rough water my 45 fortrex would blow out all the time. My 52 ultrex never blows out but when I go shallow it's kinda in the way. I figure a 48-49" shaft would be better.

4. Member
    I am not sure that can be done but can't you set the depth of the motor by adjusting the collar on the shaft. Call Minn Kota and ask. Make sure you ask how much it will cost. Pretty sure the would have to change the motor housing along with the shaft but call and find out. Bob

5. Member
    Yea I do set the height of the shaft with the lock color. But when you're in 1.5ft of water the shaft is sticking up high and when you're trying to skip under trees and dock it's a pain. So I figure if I take 3-4" off it's less sticking up

6. Member
    It can be cut. Just be certain that is what you want to do. Once it is cut then you will run into a good bit of coins to get it back to previous length.

7. Member
    Is this something someone can do on his own and if so do you have a procedure. Thanks

8. Member
    They can, but I would bring to an ASC and let them do it. That way it won't void the warranty.

9. Member
    I would definitely be doing my own. So any insight would be appreciated.

I'm in the same boat, should have just went 45" and let it blow out, since it has power steering it is way less of an inconvenience. I will be going 3-4" as well. Insight? Other than ASC make sure you have all the wires clearing where your cutting, maybe a wooden dowel pushing down and cut through it, maybe using hand tools cut it without going to deep?
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

11. Member
    After getting water intrusion my asc ordered a new shaft/motor assembly . I had a 45 inch shaft to start but he ordered a 54 instead . There was no way the 54 would work so he called mk to see if he could cut it down . They said yes and now I have a custom 42 inch ultrex . I don't know how he did it but it can certainly be done .

12. Member
    I'm thinking cutting with a hack saw and marking the blade to just go through the shaft

Quote Originally Posted by elisha552000 View Post
    I'm thinking cutting with a hack saw and marking the blade to just go through the shaft
    Get a piece of metal tubing small enough to go inside the shaft but large enough to put the wires in. That will eliminate any OPPPSSSS damaging the wires. A place like Lowes would have something what would work.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

14. Member
    Now that's a good idea. Thanks

15. Member
    The only problem you may encounter is where it sits on the mount. A 52/62 is a long mount and the 45 uses a short mount. Only cutting 2 - 3" off shouldn't effect that. Personally, even fishing shallow water with the motor raised, I don't see how 3" is going to help you. What I'm reading is instead of coming up 15" you're OK with it coming up 12". As mentioned above, if an ASC doesn't do it (serial number sticker tells us what size shaft it should have) it will void the warranty on the trolling motor.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

16. Member
    Well dang looks like I just voided my warranty. Just took off 3". It stuck out the side of the boat and was too high in shallow water.
    '

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    The only problem you may encounter is where it sits on the mount. A 52/62 is a long mount and the 45 uses a short mount. Only cutting 2 - 3" off shouldn't effect that. Personally, even fishing shallow water with the motor raised, I don't see how 3" is going to help you. What I'm reading is instead of coming up 15" you're OK with it coming up 12". As mentioned above, if an ASC doesn't do it (serial number sticker tells us what size shaft it should have) it will void the warranty on the trolling motor.
    John

When skipping under trees that 3" could really helps yes. And honestly not worried about the warranty. Can't sweat the small things in life

18. Member
    Done. Took a whopping 30 min start to finish. Very simple just pay attention.

19. Member
    Turned out well then. Good deal! So you would not be interested in the new salt water Terrova that comes with an 87" shaft!

20. Member
    I'm good. If i was in water where I needed an 87" shaft I'd take up a different sport

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast