Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I’m in the market for a new ultrex and trying to figure out what size shaft I should get.
    Usually fishing in bigger lakes like St Clair or Erie.
    I would ideally go for the 52” but some of you guys are scaring me saying it will get in the way when in shallow water?
    Does the spot lock on a 45” not work as good?

A 45" will not work for me....
    If that prop comes out of the water- you just lost spot lock. I fish some big open windy lakes but I doubt they compare to St Claire or Erie. My last one was a 60" Terrova cut down to a 54" I have a 52 Ultrex now and it has came out once but I was stupid for trying to hold there in the first place.
    Yes it will stick up higher when you raise it to fish shallow.. But nothing you can't overcome. My windshield sticks up-- I still hit it once in a while. Think about the guy in the back and what he has to fish around!!

Also a longer one can be cut down..

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    If that prop comes out of the water- you just lost spot lock. I fish some big open windy lakes but I doubt they compare to St Claire or Erie. My last one was a 60" Terrova cut down to a 54" I have a 52 Ultrex now and it has came out once but I was stupid for trying to hold there in the first place.
    Yes it will stick up higher when you raise it to fish shallow.. But nothing you can't overcome. My windshield sticks up-- I still hit it once in a while. Think about the guy in the back and what he has to fish around!!

Great point.
    I never thought about it raising higher than the water when it’s choppy which would result to the spot lock to stop.
    So 52” is what I need.

Is adjusting the height on these newer models the same as older minn kotas?
    I currently have an older Maxxum and sometimes I can’t even lift it up when I don’t have good position standing above it because of the choppy water.

Are the new models easier to move up and down?

Not really.. Of course letting it back down is no problem,, but raising can be difficult depending on where you can place your feet to raise it straight up while deployed. Once you raise the mtr you have to adjust the collar with one hand while holding the mtr.. can get trickey..
    However there is a (sweet spot) where you can adjust while semi deployed.. You need to find it the first time while the boat is trailered. Release the locks and raise motor until the shaft pressure is relaxed (about 6-10") when you find the correct angle you can slide the shaft up and reset the collar while still in a somwhat horizontal position.
    Just watch for pinch points it will mash a finger. Once you practice it a few times it's much easier than trying to raise it straight up standing over the bow on one foot.

5. Member
    I cut 3.5 off mine last year. It’s frustrating that no one makes a 47-48 inch shaft. I used a spare hack saw blade to protect my wires while cutting the shaft. Glad I did it. Just be very careful not to nick the wires

6. Member
    Why not use a pipe cutter?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rod View Post
    Why not use a pipe cutter?
    Their not completely round..Slotted

8. Member

I have a 45" and fish big water (Champlain) When the prop comes out of the water I don't loose spot lock. I might loose ground for a second but I puts me right back!

9. Member
    Not really.. Of course letting it back down is no problem,, but raising can be difficult depending on where you can place your feet to raise it straight up while deployed. Once you raise the mtr you have to adjust the collar with one hand while holding the mtr.. can get trickey..
    However there is a (sweet spot) where you can adjust while semi deployed.. You need to find it the first time while the boat is trailered. Release the locks and raise motor until the shaft pressure is relaxed (about 6-10") when you find the correct angle you can slide the shaft up and reset the collar while still in a somwhat horizontal position.
    Just watch for pinch points it will mash a finger. Once you practice it a few times it's much easier than trying to raise it straight up standing over the bow on one foot.
    oh ok, cool I’ll definitely try that out when I get the new motor.
    Appreciate it.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmasher View Post
    I have a 45" and fish big water (Champlain) When the prop comes out of the water I don't loose spot lock. I might loose ground for a second but I puts me right back!
    Interesting.
    Waiting for his reply to see why his loses spot lock when the prop comes out.

Also, is there much of a benefit from a 45 to a 52” ?
    Does the 52” move around better in bigger lakes or is the difference minimal?

I have a old Maxxum which is 45” I believe and it’s 24v so it takes a while to move around on the choppy days in Erie, I’m wondering if a 52” shaft upgrade would make more of a difference or getting the 112-36v power that does the work?

I fish a small lake that doesn’t allow engines too and I am only allowed to use my Maxxum and man, it takes forever to get around.

I’m assuming it’s the thrust and 36v power that would be the big factor over the size of the shaft?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by datbasstho View Post
    Interesting.
    Waiting for his reply to see why his loses spot lock when the prop comes out.

Also, is there much of a benefit from a 45 to a 52” ?
    Does the 52” move around better in bigger lakes or is the difference minimal?

I have a old Maxxum which is 45” I believe and it’s 24v so it takes a while to move around on the choppy days in Erie, I’m wondering if a 52” shaft upgrade would make more of a difference or getting the 112-36v power that does the work?

I fish a small lake that doesn’t allow engines too and I am only allowed to use my Maxxum and man, it takes forever to get around.

I’m assuming it’s the thrust and 36v power that would be the big factor over the size of the shaft?
    The longer shaft keeps the motor head in the water better in bigger waves so the prop doesn't come out and lose bite. Power is the only thing that will make it move the boat faster. more thrust gets that done, not shaft length. Edit, I have heard others mention that the longer shaft does put the thrust under the boat instead of into it which gives them more efficient operation. I have no opinion on that one way or another, just what I've read.
    1998 Tr-21, 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66

My 52 inch shaft came out twice on the same day while spot locked in some big waves. First time it was pointed straight into the wave and
    stayed in spot lock mode. The second time the boat was hit more broadside and when the head re entered the water it kicked off. My feet were soaked and the bilge kicked on about that time so after questioning my own sanity I went looking for some calmer water.
    I figure the motor kicked out of spot lock because the pressure the water exerted was enough to trigger the safety switch.

13. Member

Bought a 60inch ultrex and need to have a 52

Quote Originally Posted by Utbassman74 View Post
    I cut 3.5 off mine last year. It’s frustrating that no one makes a 47-48 inch shaft. I used a spare hack saw blade to protect my wires while cutting the shaft. Glad I did it. Just be very careful not to nick the wires
    Hey I bought a 60” ultrex and Need it cut down to a 52 “ but no ASC will do it in my area any pointers on the best way and what to cut shaft with

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinhp21 View Post
    Hey I bought a 60” ultrex and Need it cut down to a 52 “ but no ASC will do it in my area any pointers on the best way and what to cut shaft with
    My buddy just cut his using a cut off wheel on a dremel then filed/sanded the edges smooth. Protected the wires with a piece of flat stock steel.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

I've cut two with just a hack saw. Just go slow and rotate around while watching the wires.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12