Trolling motor speed...

I recently purchased an '88 Skeeter SF 175 SX in great condition. It has a min kota maximum 74 lb thrust. Top speed I get weather I'm by myself or has someone else in the boat and fully loaded is 2.0 to 2.1 mph. I would think it should go a little faster than that. I'd be happy to get 2.7 out of it. Any ideas of what problems I may have? Maybe that's as fast as it pulls it, I don't know. I also have to brand new batteries so that shouldn't be a problem.

2. Member
    Why concerned about speed. You can't run it at full speed for any length of time or you will surely burn it up.

3. Member
    Is it a 12/24 trolling motor? If so, you may have it running on 12V. Bump it up to 24V for more speed.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

4. Member
    Not that I plan trolling fast most the time as I fish but it's still nice to have a little burst when you need it, especially with a lot of electric trolling motor 'only' lakes around me. Although I failed to mention I have a broken toggle switch on the bow that has 12v/24v option or something. It seems from through doin some research that older style bass boats had trolling motor option to run either 12v or 24v. Don't know how true this is. I'm thing that is has something to do with the broken toggle switch.

5. Member
    No doubt you are running on 12V. I would just wire it for straight 24V and eliminate the switch.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

6. Member
    Thank u Ed R. I believe that may be the case cause it is an older trolling motor. I will check and see.

7. Member
    The 12/24 switch on the bow is referred to as a charge/run switch. Back in those days, you could add a charge plug connected to the battery charger, flip the switch to "two twelves" and charge both batteries at the same time. Then when flipped to "run" it would run 12/24. The 74 is a 24V motor. I would eliminate the switch. Re wire with appropriate size wiring -- your older Skeeter may have 10ga, 8ga at best unless it's been rewired. You need 6ga with a 60A breaker for the 74# trolling motor.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]