New Z18 scratches on hull

I think this may have been talked about before, but wanted some opinions. Have a new 2019 Z18 with the dual wheel trailer. I noticed that the trailer bunks are leaving scratch marks on the hull. I've got a black hull so the scratches stand out. The black layer seems really thin, with white fiberglass under it.

I checked the trailer carpet on all the bunks and it looks OK.

Is this normal to see the scratches on a black colored hull? My other boat had a white hull, sure there were some scratches but they weren't that noticeable.

I've seen comments saying not to powerload the boat on the trailer. I try and get as much of the trailer I can in the water. Makes me sick to see scratches on such a nice boat otherwise.

What can I do different?

Thanks

2. Member
    Black hull is going to show scratches. Dont look if it bothers you. Cant see it all going down the lake and its not affecting why I bought my boat in the first place at all
    2020 Nitro Z20 250 Pro XS

3. Member
    I also have a black hull also, try to float onto the trailer as much as possible, not entirely possible with the lack of side boards on the trailers now,

Brother, I’m sorry to hear about that. I know you hate it, hopefully you can find something to prevent this for the future.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

5. Member
    Can you post pictures of said scratches?

6. Member
    This is what I'm seeing on hull. I've checked and there is nothing that I can feel on the bunks like a rock stuck in carpet or the screw coming through.

thumbnail (1).jpgthumbnail (2).jpgthumbnail (3).jpgthumbnail.jpg

7. Member
    I keep a can of silicone in my truck and every 2nd or 3rd time out I spray the bunks down before loading. Seems to make unloading/loading easier and I don't have any scratches. Hope this helps
    Comanche20 (Don)
    2008 Ranger Z 20, 225 RUDE
    Ultrex 45/36/112
    2 Birds
    2020 F150 LIMITED Eco Boost

8. Member
    I will give that a try! Silicone spray is pretty cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by BobD2369 View Post
    This is what I'm seeing on hull. I've checked and there is nothing that I can feel on the bunks like a rock stuck in carpet or the screw coming through.

thumbnail (1).jpgthumbnail (2).jpgthumbnail (3).jpgthumbnail.jpg
    Daggone Bob, that would make me sick. I wonder if at least a temporary fix would be something like Turtle Wax Black Wax? But then I have always heard not to put any wax on the bottom of the hull, so I don't know.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

10. Member
    I wouldn't advise putting silicone on your bunks. The one time you unhook while backing down or pulling out, you're gonna dump your boat on the ramp. Seen it several times. All black hulls are gonna have those scratches in front of the bunks. Actually all boats have them, but you only see them on the dark colors.

11. Member
    Like others have said get as much trailer in the water as possible to be able to power load, no one wants to wait at the ramp on a windy/wavy day with someone trying to push and pull a boat on a trailer ;).

Surprised it is scratching that bad that far up towards the bow. You can wax the sides of the hull for sure if it makes you feel better, the boat runs on pad anyway. My Z-7 has some scratches up the side from loading as well, just not as evident as on a newer boat.
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

PB: 11 lbs, 1 oz

12. Member
    Was there ever a solution to this. I was going to take picture of my 2023 z18 except it looks identical to these pictures. I will try to tell people to dip the bunks first before loading, but mostly I am coming back in from a tournament so it would be hard to tell every person this.

13. Member
    Mine looks the same nothing you can do. All boats do it just black stands out. Everytime that trailer goes into the water what ever debris is in the water settles on the bunks plus carpet is abrasive to fiberglass all by itself.

these trailers are not good for floating the boat on you’ll still need to winch it up a few feet which will cause scratches. Anytime I tried to float the trailer with all the ramps I been to results in the bow going under the roller.
    Nitro z21

14. Member
    I will give my .02, I got a z19 with dark gray bottom, has/had some of the same scratches when I got it. Second owner. I redid the bunks with higher grade carpet, thicker, plusher, better backing. Then buff out scratches and put a coat of sealer/ceramic coat on the bottom (used griots 3in1) you can upkeep with spray on ceramic. Then always get the bunks completely wet when loading and unloading (again, I always drive the boat on and off my trailers.). Hope this helps.

15. Member
    Ok, that works for me. If it’s supposed to happen that’s fine, just wanted to make sure I do not have a defective trailer/ bunks.

16. Member
    mine is the same way. I don't worry a bout it.
    Dale Johnston
    Wichita, KS
    2019 nitro z20, mercury pro xs 250 four stroke

we are dredging up an old post. this is where gatorbaks help. carpet gets sand and other material in it/ Even with gatorbaks I clean them every few months to get rid of buildup.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    we are dredging up an old post. this is where gatorbaks help. carpet gets sand and other material in it/ Even with gatorbaks I clean them every few months to get rid of buildup.
    Agreed, I usually take a stiff bristle brush and fluff the carpet up along with wash it with a hose to get all the rocks/sand out. Mine does this really bad when I fish sandy water (river), especially bad when you reverse off the bank and propwash blows more on there.

Very mild buffer/polish will knock those scratches out, that's a yearly routine on a bad weather weekend.

19. Member
    Thanks!

I have a Skeeter with a black bottom, it also has the scratches.