Drop Shotting Reel

Just now getting into drop shotting. looking for recommendations on reels. Yeah I know ford vs chevy but I have to start somewhere. So far I've come across Shimano Stradic 2500 and Lews Custom. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Chris

I have two DS outfits, and another rod that I'm planning to use for DS sometime soon. The reels are Pflueger President, Okuma Epixor (?) and an early Shimano Stradic 2500. All work perfectly fine. I don't think you need a fast gear ratio for DS. The first two are 5.2:1 (or so) and the Shimano is 6:1 or higher. While I would buy a 6:1 if I was shopping for a new reel, it isn't worth buying a new reel for that reason. The Pflueger's bail corrals the 15 lb braid a bit better than the Okuma's bail, and I don't really like the crank knob on the Stradic, but both are a minor deal. More important stuff to worry about than that! All have smooth gears and drag, and that's about all that matters, IMO.

PS: You really don't need a huge spool IF you're using braid, and you also don't need a herculean drag specification, either. I wouldn't feel bad about using a 1000 size reel for DS, if I had one in stock.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

Shimano dropped the anti reverse switch a few years ago and I never looked at them again. I don't know about everybody else, but I've got to be able to back reel when I'm drop shotting.

Answer: Pflueger Supreme...Light, Cheap, Reliable.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

It's always been a mystery to me why anybody needs to back reel, especially when DS'ing where the hook is so small. Please, Mr. SoonerFan, please 'splain why? Do you set the drag heavy for the hookset you don't really need to do, or what? I set my drag light and may remember (or not) to drop my index finger onto the rim of the spool to increase the force I put into the hookset. I have tried back reeling, and always forgot to flip the lever back and ended up with no hookset at all on the next bite!

5. Member
    Love my Revo Rockets in the 30 size.

Daiwa BG in 2500 size is the best bang for the buck out there in my opinion. It's marketed as a saltwater reel, but certainly doesn't have to be. You do get the sealed drag and all that, though, which is great. It's insanely smooth and an insanely good drag for a $100 reel. They're unbelievable at their price point.

I've got a Tatula LT on mine now after getting one at half price (which put it at the same cost as the BG) - the only way it's "better" than the BG is that it's lighter, but the BG is actually smoother and has a better drag in my opinion. I'm switching the Tatula back to another rod and putting one of my BGs back on my main drop shot rod before next season if that tells you anything.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Drew is right on there...reel weight isn't a big factor for DS, because you don't cast all that often, and don't do anything fancy when you do. I mostly do underhand or sidearm pitches...30' is easy and plenty, if not actually too far. Having a heavy reel typically helps balance with the long rod, so it can be a plus. Better balance = more sensitivity.

8. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Diawa Ballistic 2500-...... LOOK NO FARTHER!

http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/ree...tic/index.html

9. Member
    Generally use a 2500 size with braid/leader, however if I'm using straight fluorocarbon I have a couple 4000 size reels that I use to reduce twist somewhat.

I went from the Pflueger President to Shimano Stradic Ci4. Never looked back. I didn’t use the backreel anyway so that wasn’t an issue for me. The drag system is so smooth on the Shimano I wouldn’t use backreel if it was there. I do set the drag a little lighter and haven’t had any issues.

11. Member
    Stradic Ci4. Drop Shot nearly every trip and I have zero complaints. I know some like to back reel (especially with smallmouth), but the drags on new reels are so superior to those in the past it doesn't bother me one bit.

12. Finally over 80
    I use a Shimano Stradic and a Diawa ballistic LT high speed. and love them both but the diawa with high speed reel. I think it's the ticket.

13. Member
    Went with the stradic.... Thanks for the input